The intermediatelypricedwhistles thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

scheky wrote:I'll always recommend Obrien's whistles. Great sound, great price.
What he said. You can get a whole set of the copper O'briens for a very reasonable price.

I like the Hoover's too, but wanted to give the O'Briens a second vote so that you at least consider them.
Keith
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

If you get a Susato, buy some sonic filters for your ears before you play it...
tomgoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tomgoos »

After reading your replies and some other things here on the web I think I'm gonna go for the Dixon (most likely the trad). The o'brien and the sweetone are still a bit above the "whistle budget" because I also still have my "guitar budget" in my "music portfolio".

@ Basch
I would like to stick to the high D for now - I'm new to the whistling. Woon je toevallig ergens in de buurt van Eindhoven? Zo ja, zij er nog ergens shops in hier waar je whistles kun testen?
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I'd go with O'Brien. I've finally come to terms with Susato's but I consider them more performance whistles, a little too loud for practicing. But they are no doubt good to have for sessions and such.
arnie

Post by arnie »

Try Impempe. It's said to be soft, but I have a high D that's quit average as far as volume's concerned. My Impempe C and F are softer. The price is very good, the sound round and complex, and Ian Turnbull's a very nice guy. See the original Impempe website.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

You are missing a Feadog from your collection. I think these play at least as well as most mid-priced whistles and cost almost nothing.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

tomgoos wrote:After reading your replies and some other things here on the web I think I'm gonna go for the Dixon (most likely the trad). The o'brien and the sweetone are still a bit above the "whistle budget" because I also still have my "guitar budget" in my "music portfolio".
Considering your comments, I think you are making a good choice. The Dixon Trad is a great value. Plus I imagine a Dixon will be easier to buy in your part of the world. Have not really liked any of the other Dixon D whistles that much, but the Trad is an exception.

My personal favorite would be a Hoover top on a somewhat wider tube, but I tend toward a more pure sound than the Trad. (Keith, thanks for suggesting Hoover Blacktops on Bingamon tubes. Nice!)
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
tomgoos

Post by tomgoos »

The impepe seems to be a nice whistle as well, however, it is not tunable and therefore I'm a bit concerned that I can´t play it with the band.
tomgoos

Post by tomgoos »

Okay, I couldn't resist any longer. My whoa got the better of me. I ordered a dixon trad and a feadog D to go with that :party:

Thanx for all your comments!!
Basch

Post by Basch »

tomgoos wrote:After reading your replies and some other things here on the web I think I'm gonna go for the Dixon (most likely the trad). The o'brien and the sweetone are still a bit above the "whistle budget" because I also still have my "guitar budget" in my "music portfolio".

@ Basch
I would like to stick to the high D for now - I'm new to the whistling. Woon je toevallig ergens in de buurt van Eindhoven? Zo ja, zij er nog ergens shops in hier waar je whistles kun testen?
nee woon in den haag. En testen kan bij de celticshop. Maar ja. Da's ook weer zo'n end :D

Waar heb je de Feadog gevonden?
I don't like sigs
tomgoos

Post by tomgoos »

Basch wrote:Waar heb je de Feadog gevonden?
I ordered it at Bigwhistle. They were quite fast in delivering last time, it took them less than a week to from door to door. So I hope these will be in as quickly as the other ones I ordered. And jep, Bergen op Zoom isn´t quite next door... too bad :(
Basch

Post by Basch »

Ok, I'll gues I'll order somne there next time :) Celticshop doesn't have that much compared to big whistle :)
I don't like sigs
cloyd

Post by cloyd »

Well, I've been out and away from a computer for a couple of days. But while I was out, I bought myself a real electronic tuner (not a program for the computer) and checked out my Dixon polymenr pro d. Pul the tuning slide out just a tad (1/4 in or less, maybe?) and it regesters right in tune through both octaves.

Since I got this whistle, because of the pure tone, I havn't wanted to play any of my other whistles.

I have recognized that the Feadog is tuned well, and (as I have learned to play it without the squaks and screeches and chirps) and has an "edge".

I think I like the Dixon because I don't really like the edge. If it weren't for that, the Feadog would be hard to beat now.

It is all in the ear of the beholder.

Not that it matters much, since you have already ordered a new whistle. But you obviously have WHOA. Think of this next time.
Cloyd
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Basch wrote:The susato is pretty good. It's really lound and indeed can be a bit harder to switch actaves. I'm getting my Dixon this week so I'll be able to compare.

Misschien geinteresseerd in een Clarke C. Ik vind clarke's toch niet zo vreselijk leuk klinken. Te "breathy" verder goede fluiten maar niet mijn stijl.
Unfortunately the C models of the Clarke whistles are by far not as good as the D models. I´ve tried both the Sweetone C and the "original" C. I found them so utterly useless that I, in frustration, threw them away! Buy some other C model instead. Susato are pretty good as you say!
bdh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Is it too late to add my two cents worth to this discussion? :D

I'm definitely a fan of the Dixon Trad. I love it. The only problem I have with the Trad is that I find it easy to overblow it. Has anyone compared the brass and nickel models?

I picked up a set of Susatos from a C&F member (Bb/C/D) which I quite like. Like everyone else, I think they're loud and require a little more pressure than other whistles in the upper register. Otherwise, quite responsive and the tone doesn't bother me. I use 'em at louder sessions with those pesky flutes and fiddles :lol:

I'm still not sure whether I'm happy with the SYN whistles I've got. I think it's the tone. I'd also prefer if they allowed for OXXOOO cross-fingering. Maybe I should give them a little more attention and playing time before I give up on them (my set is Eb/D/C/Bb/B), especially since they're really stunning to look at :D
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll