Low-tech low D at last!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Guidus
antispam: No

Low-tech low D at last!

Post by Guidus »

Hello,

yesterday I got a fipple the right size and I tried to make a low D. This time it worked quite well: I even skipped supper, working and playing all evening on this big boy.

I didn't know low D's were so addictive, I played almost till midnight! My low-tech low D has a deep, haunting sound, and is much better than my only other low D, an Indian cheapie. I play it using piper's grip on the bottom hand and normal grip on the upper hand. I'll publish a sound clip as time permits.

So there you are, I updated my page. In the next few days I'll keep playing it and see if there is room for improvements, then will let you know.
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by falkbeer »

Hi,

Great to hear that your low D turned out so well! It would be interesting to see some photos too!
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

I'm going to take a couple of pictures this afternoon. When my piper's grip gets stable, I'll also record a clip.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Guidus,

Congratulations on the low D. I see you have the layout of the low D on your site already. You are using pipe with a 22mm bore, right? What is the wall thickness, is it also 1.5mm? Thanks for sharing your efforts with us.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

please do :D --------i too know the feeling of making instruments -it is a Godgiven talent that makes life worth living-and a feeling of great accomplishment---cheers to you brother
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

congratulations!! serious cool to see some photos!
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Good job, Guidus! Cool website, too.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

Feadoggie,

yes, I'm using 25 mm pipe (bore = 22 mm), wall thickness 1.5 mm.

I added a sound clip and a photo:
http://guido.gonzato.googlepages.com/lowd.jpg

Both are unimpressive... As time permits, I'll remake all sound clips and a close-up of the low D.
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

That's great Guido. I think I must give it a go - I am still really enjoying the little D and if that is anything to go by, it really is worth a shot to try the big fellow. Your web site is filled with wonderful info and tips - thanks!
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

really good sound!! exelent!. :o
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

That's rad Guidus!
I've been using your design to make my own low whistles for some time now (and have even sold a few to people in the neighborhood who were interested, most of whom were passers by who heard the alternating sounds of tuning and power tools :P ); this news is indeed exciting.
Thanks!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Wow, very cool. Btw, did I get the first low F you sold?
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Re: Low-tech low D at last!

Post by Carey »

Guidus wrote:I play it using piper's grip on the bottom hand and normal grip on the upper hand.
I started doing it that way as well, and found that while I could cover the upper hand holes OK, I couldn't move them as fast as I needed to once my speed picked up in general. So I've changed over to the piper's grip on the top hand as well. Have a go at something quick both ways and see what your experience is. The top fingers were just too bent or stretched to move quickly for me.

The low D is very cool. I really enjoy playing mine.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com