Specific Dixon Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kar »

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before--please point me to the correct thread if it has!

I am thinking about buying a Dixon because I would like a good either Bb or A whistle (which are the lowest I can play confortably) and I hear good things about Dixons on this board, and I can afford one. I'd like to know:

How is the Dixon sound? I have a Susato A and a Shaw A--which seem to be opposite ends of the spectrum. I like the Shaw, the breathy sound is my favorite--and I DON'T like the Susato. In fact, I never play it. Where does the Dixon fall, if you had to compare it to one or the other?

How are the breath requirements? I can play my Gen Bb easily but the Shaw A knocks me out. (BTW, I like the Gen but I want something a little easier to hit the second octave with)

And finally, if there's someone out there who can tell me--I can usually play an A with few reach problems (I have VERY small hands). The Shaw is fine, I tried a Cheiftan and that was fine, but the Susato fingering is hard for me. Would I be better off with a Dixon Bb or A, fingering-reach wise? Buying over the internet makes it hard to tell. I want to get the lowest key I can COMFORTABLY play. (I play alone so the actual usefullness of the key is not an issue. I just want low but still easy enough to play.)

(My computer doesn't have speakers so I can't listen to clips, by the way--or I'd compare sounds that way.)

All ye Dixon lovers, thanks in advance for your advice!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hey there -

I see you're in San Francisco. Have you tried calling Lark in the Morning and seeing if they have Dixons? http://www.larkinam.com

I have a Dixon A but I don't play it much. Email me if you'd like to borrow it. :smile: (remember to take the spam blocker out of the email address)

--Beth
sunshine

Post by sunshine »

I bought a Dixon Bb about 2 weeks ago and so far hav'nt found it to my liking. I say so far because I did not like my hoover D at first and now it is one of my favorite whistles. As for the dixon Bb I find the lowest note (all holes closed) considerably lesser in volume then all other notes.
I know Shaw makes a Bb and am thinking of making tha my next whistle.
Kar

Post by Kar »

For those of you who don't like the Dixons, why not?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-07-09 14:18, avanutria wrote:
Hey there -

I see you're in San Francisco. Have you tried calling Lark in the Morning and seeing if they have Dixons? http://www.larkinam.com
Lark in the morning doesn't carry Dixons, for some reason I've never understood.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I agree that the Susato 'A',is a bit of a bugger to play if you have small hands,or like me, skinny fingers - it's that b£@@#y whopping great bottom hole! also, i find the tone a bit (oh no-here we go)'recordery'! I haven't played a Dixon 'A', but i do have a low 'f',which i have been playing earlier today, with great pleasure.The hole size and stretch are quite easy,and the sound is mellow and 'flutey',though fairly quiet. I imagine that the 'A' MAY share these characteristics,which should make it a good whistle if you don't take part in noisy sessions. hope this helps.
the_instrument_player

Post by the_instrument_player »

I love my Dixon! It is a high D, though so it may be quite a bit different than the A you are looking for. I love mine because of the sweet, clear upper octave.... the upper octave plays very easily. House of Musical Traditions carries Dixons I think... try http://www.hmtrad.com
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Personally, I would buy them straight from either The Whistle Shop or Tony Dixon himself. http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/

I've got two Dixon high D's and a Dixon A (which is packing for its trip to California! :smile: ) I like them but have been playing my metal ones more lately - hoover, laughing, meg. Mostly because I find I like the metal sound better, but also to spare my neighbors the volume. :grin:
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I have a Dixon F. The bell tone is VERY quiet and takes some real getting used to but the tone is buttery and rich. With regret, it is phenomenally off key.

My hands are small, I have no problem with the reach, but then I have no problem with a low D reach either, as I use a piper grip on nearly all my whistles.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Kar

Post by Kar »

Buttery and rich tone? I like the sound of that. Thanks for all the feedback. A Boise whistler has generously offered to let me test-drive her Dixon A, and I'll see how it goes. It's all the fulfillment of WHOA and none of the risk!
bassnwhistle

Post by bassnwhistle »

I have Dixon non-tunable high and low D's, tunable soprano D(brass), C, Bb and G. In my humble opinion the Bb is the best of the bunch in terms of tone. It has a warm, resonant, wooden flute-like quality which I realy love, and which suits much of the music I play that is written in the keys of Bb and Eb. If you're looking for warmth, this is the whistle. If you are looking for a brighter, thinner, tinnier sound you won't like it.
Ian
The best thing about Highland Pipes is that the players can't sing at you.
torben

Post by torben »

The reason why I do not love Dixon whistles is that every whistle I have tried was way out of tune. I have tried to return a whistle just to receive one that was far more out of tune. So I got back to my Susatos.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I have 2 Dixon sop. D and have problems with their being just a wee bit out of tune with themselves in the upper octave. The first was replaced by Tony(thanx),the replacement is better but still a bit off. On the other hand,I have a Dixon low G..sweet,almost woody tone. Spot on tune. Low wind requirement and a reasonable finger reach. It's one of my favorites.
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I bought a Dixon A through Shanna Quay last week, and I'm very happy with it. If there's any out of tuneness, my ears can't detect it, or maybe I'm able to adjust my breath to get it in tune enough for my hearing.

I play using normal grip, but when I go down to an F whistle I have to use piper's. This whistle also fits in my rucksack without poking out the top - so a good travel whistle for me!

I like the breathiness & lower tones, I expect to play this a lot on my travels with a whistle.

Now to find a double bass which folds smaller.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Martin, I haven't heard any problem with my F Dixon being out of tune with itself, but I was pretty much halfway between an F and F# when I was doing the volume experiment. It was so off that I would have believed the problem was with my tuner, except that every other whistle played true.

Though I'm disappointed in that, it wouldn't stop me from considering another Dixon. I love the sound, it is pleasant to play, and for all I know its a fluke, or something about the key.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe