New version of the Dixon DX002 - anyone tried it yet?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BEC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New version of the Dixon DX002 - anyone tried it yet?

Post by BEC »

Recently Tony Dixon came out with a new version of the tunable aluminum/polymer high whistles - his catalog DX002. I really like my example of the prior version and was wondering if anyone's tried the new one yet.

In the writeup on this page http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/catalog ... nshop.html he says the changes were to make it more a session whistle (I presume this means louder) but I'm wondering if the effortless octave jumps and the ability to go right up to the third octave E are still in the new version of the D whistle or not.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I'm curious about this, too, in connection with my interest in a "big chiffer".
BEC

Post by BEC »

Based on the overwhelming response so far one of us may have to break down and order one....:)
tomgoos

Post by tomgoos »

What is the general opinion on dixon whistles here? (e.g. the duo head picolo/whistle version)
BEC

The word right from the man himself

Post by BEC »

I put my question to Mr. Dixon by way of the contact link on the Tony Dixon Music web site. Here is is response:

"Thank you for your enquiry.
"The easy top end was a result of the 'window' being on the small side. The payback for that is a weak bottom end!

"I have had so many requests for a louder, harder bottom end instrument that I finally bent under the pressure. I hope this new design meets everyones needs, but I can still make the old type for those that prefer it.
It will probably only be available through me though."

I then asked if it was OK for me to post that info and he said:

"Sorry if I sounded like I was sitting on the fence!
I would love to run both types, as I have a soft spot for the old 002 myself. Trouble is, I have developed such a broad product base and keeping all the balls in the air can be 'interesting' at times!

"Certainly, for a while I will make and supply the old type for those that want them. Please do pass that on."

So there it is.

I would still love to hear from someone who's tried the new one (and even better if he or she has tried both). I may just have to get the new one to see for myself.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

I haven't tried the new version, but did play the old version. It had a good tone, but flipped octaves too easily for me. This experience was on a borrowed whistle, so the problem would probably have been worked out with a longer acquaintance and more practice. I love Tony Dixon whistles, the tunable polymer & the Trad in particular.
Guidus
antispam: No

Post by Guidus »

tomgoos wrote:What is the general opinion on dixon whistles here? (e.g. the duo head picolo/whistle version)
I own the dual head whistle/piccolo. I've given up on the piccolo head, I just can't get past the first octave; the whistle is on the quiet side but lovely.

The Dixon Trad is an awsome whistle that lots of people like.

Both whistles share the same mouthpiece, which is designed to make it easy to switch octaves. Some whistlers find it a tad too easy. You may think of Dixons as the opposite of Susatos.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Dixon's sound a bit dull to me, I've never really cared for them.