Key of [blank] whistle can play what Scales easily?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

MTGuru wrote:
straycat82 wrote:I made this back in November to put in my whistle case for my own quick reference
straycat, I like including the fingerings, too. There are only two small omissions on your chart.

1) The second to last row (D) is Mixolydian, not Ionian (Major), according to the fingerings.

2) The third to last row (Am) is Dorian, not Aeolian (Minor), according to the fingerings. A Aeolian would require a half-holed or cross-fingered F-natural.

With those two fixes, you cover the 8 friendly modes you can play without the G#.
I don't understand what you're saying... if I'm reading your post correctly, my chart says exactly what your're saying.... the second to the last row (in the D column) says "D Mix" and the third to the last row (in the D Column) says "Am Dor".

?
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

straycat82 wrote:I don't understand what you're saying... if I'm reading your post correctly, my chart says exactly what your're saying.... the second to the last row (in the D column) says "D Mix" and the third to the last row (in the D Column) says "Am Dor".

?
Oh, that's funny ... On my computer monitor (a decent Trinitron) the print there is so dark, basically black on black, that it's literally invisible. Sorry, never mind, nice chart!

To make it a little friendlier besides your personal use, it might be merciful to change the color scheme to something with more contrast, for those of us with eyes a few years older than 25. :-)

As for those 2 modes with G#, I guess I'd opt for including them, too. There are lots of nice session tunes in A Major, and some in B Dorian. I know some players here tend to sit them out when they come up, too. But that seems a shame, because those modes are not that hard to get around with a little practice. Though I'll admit I cheat with an E whistle sometimes.
bud
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

transposition program

Post by bud »

A man I haven't seen in a couple of years was a good whistler, and he could do something I envy. If he saw a tune in Bb or something similar, he had some type of program in his computer that enabled him to print the tune transposed into D or A or whatever he was comfortable with. So he learned the tune as if it was written in D or A or whatever, but played the Bb whistle so he was in tune with the rest of the band. Anyone here know of such a program (and I love the word "free")?

Bud
Bud Savoie
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

Nice thread, I was looking a chart about this subject. Very interesting! (Anyways, I prefer to have 1 million whistles in all the keys :D )