about Burkes...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

about Burkes...

Post by Flogging Jason »

I recently purchased a Burke Low F Aluminum and it is a phenomenal instrument! I have several whistles in several keys by several makers but this one is my favorite. Playing inside or outdoors the sound carries wonderfully and the tone is just sublime!

Anyways, I was wanting to know if the quality I find in this instrument is indicative of the others Mr Burke makes? Are the sound quality and playing characteristics consistent?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have owned three Burkes and played other peoples'. I have never been a fan of the higher pitched Burkes (C and higher), but I really love the lower ones. I think the higher pitched ones don't have that full rich sound that the lower ones have. I own a Low F aluminum and a Bb Brass I used to have a DASBT, but I traded it for a Sindt C. I have never met a Burke that wasn't in tune with itself (except for the Cnat which is always a bit sharp). I have also never seen a Burke that had any manufacturing defects. So, yes Burkes are some of the most consistient Whistles ou there, but IMHO the higher pitched Burkes sound thin and bland, especially the Aluminum ones.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I'd come at it from a different perspective. I don't own and have never played any of the Low whistles (lower than Bb) but I do own Bb, B, C, C#, and D and play them in sessions and have recorded with them as well. The B and Bb are both aluminium and, being lower, the aluminium sounds good. I would agree that it has to be brass for the higher ones, but the relative tuning and workmanship are superb. For the money, you just can't get better whistles.

As for sound characteristics, aluminiums always sound like aluminiums and brasses always sound like brasses. Mike's consistency is amazing.
m.d.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Anyways, I was wanting to know if the quality I find in this instrument is indicative of the others Mr Burke makes? Are the sound quality and playing characteristics consistent?
Here is my input. I have quite a few Burkes, more than 20. They suit me just fine. I have a set of Burkes in aluminum in keys from high E down to low C. I also have a bag of brass Burkes and a few composites as well. The quality and playing characteristics are very consistent. If I have to go from whistle to whistle I don't think about which whistle I have in my hands. They all play pretty much the same. That's why I have so many.

Now that does not mean that there aren't differences among Burkes. When I have had the chance to try multiple whistles in the same key before buying, there have been particular whistles that stood out. Song of the Sea has been very accomodating when I have visited there to buy whistles. Still Burkes are all pretty darn good.

The Burke design has changed over time and that has effected the tuning and some playing characteristics. Generally the modifications are for the best (in my opinion). My aluminum set are all black tipped models made within an 18 month period but I have retained several of the older models because they were just great whistles and I prefer them to the newer version. So there could be noticable differences if you look at used Burkes produced at different times. I'd suggest going with new ones.

I like Burkes quite a lot but that's just my opinion. I still have a lot of whistle from Schultz, Copeland, Sindt, and ..... They all have their place and settings.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My Burke DBSBT is my most often played at sessions. I've yet to meet a bad one. Mike stands behind his work, and if you *did* have any problem with one of his whistles, he'd make it right... Just like any of the popular whistle makers I have had the pleasure to deal with on any level.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

You can pay a lot more money, but you can't buy a better whistle.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

I have a Burke D brass, which I just played for an hour--ah, the enjoyment! Very easy player, nice sound, very forgiving, hard to squawk.
I also recently acquired a Burke Bb in aluminum which sounds so fine that my daughter and wife gave each other the "Ahhhhh!" look when I first played it for them.
You know...the "Ahhhh!" look! A GOOD look!
I agree with Blackhawk; I don't think you could buy a better whistle.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I don't know how many Burkes I've played...I'd guess hundreds in every concievable key and material combination.

There is no more consistent maker of tooters anywhere in the industry.

I don't think he actually makes them. I think he has one of those Star Trek replicators and just keeps replicating the same fabulous whistle over and over.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
scheky

Post by scheky »

I'm quite fond of Burke whistles myself, though I admit that I prefer his style from 2000 over his current incarnations.

Nothing sweeter than my WBB D whistle. Honestly it's the best whistle I've ever played.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The DBSBT is fantastic! I prefer it to my DASBT a lot. The Burke aluminium C is a super whistle. The Viper low D is also a favourite of mine. Superb quality instruments!
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

I play mainly for meditation and personal pleasure. I've bought, sold, traded and given away many whistles over the past nine years...mostly "high-enders." My little stash of Low Whistles ebbs and flows. I love whistles that are IN TUNE, well-balanced, easy to handle, and easy-wonderful on the ears.

I've never traded or sold a Burke. As my experience and discrimination grow, good whistles come and go. But the Burke Lows are still here! Thank you, Michael!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I love my AlPro mezzo A Burke. It's like nothing else in the collection.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i have a low d viper, it plays like a dream. it is my favorite low whistle. the sound is very haunting. i love Burke.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I have two Burkes, a delrin high D, and a Viper Low D. I find them to be average whistles.

Personally, I don't think they are worth the prices. I bought both of my Burkes used, and usually prefer cheaper instruments when it comes time to perform for audiences. The few times I have used the Burkes the audience reaction has been polite. I wish I hadn't read so many threads like this one, where everyone is recommending them so highly. I was disappointed after all the good press clippings.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I've owned quite a few, but have sold all of them except an old-style wide-bore brass and low-d AlPro.

I found the high-D's other than the WBB lacking character -- the WBB is, to my ears, the most traditional sounding high-end D whistle (yes, I've owned a Sindt). The D's and C that I've owned had very clear sound, very good balance across the octaves, perfect tuning, volume that wasn't quiet but didn't scream. And they're extremely easy whistles to play, that is, they don't require too much breath, nor too much backpressure, plus the octave change is easy and predictable. I'd call them excellent whistles but with a sound I found unexciting.

I had a B and low-E composites, both of which were absolutely fantastic in every way, especially the E. I'm an absolute idiot for selling the E. As far as I can remember it's because I got an E flute, which subsequently disagreed with me. There just wasn't anything to do with the B except playing the first few bars of the Brahms B natural trio.

I got a low-G after playing one at Song of the Sea. It's a sublime instrument by itself. But I have a Grinter, which is amazing, and a Water Weasel. The Burke sounds a lot like the WW (which is quite a compliment); it's somewhat easier to play being a smaller diameter with smaller toneholes. But the WW has sentimental value, so it's what I kept.

I'm mostly a flute player now, but had Burke and Copeland low-D's. The Copeland is, of course, a legendary instrument, but I chose to keep the Burke and sell the Copeland. That's mostly because I like the volume of the Burke and the fact that it's so light and easy to play. Takes about the same volume and pressure as the Copeland, doesn't quite have the sweet flutey sound, but if I'm after a flutey sound, I'll play the flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.