Teknical question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pjuuldk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Teknical question

Post by pjuuldk »

Hi all.

I've reasently got acces to all sorts of metalworking tools, lathes a. s. o., so I might try to advance from making the low tech whistle to making a metal thingie!!
To that I have a cople of teknical questions.

1: The edge of the blade. Is there an optimum hight from the windway floor (perhaps 1/3 of windway hight)?

2: Again the edge of the blade. The angle/arch of the edge, is there an optimum (perhaps 10 - 15 dgr)??

3: The end of the windway. I see that some are making a chamfer. Is it nessesery? How big?? Angle/arch???

I hope that you understand the questions and some of you will answer some of them.

Peter Juul
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

My recommendation would be to get several inexpensive whistles and measure/examine them. A Feadog, Generation, Oak, Clare would give you enough information to make a metal whistle.
Character is the ability to carry out the
commitment long after the mood is gone.
bubbledragon

Post by bubbledragon »

I agree - I've always been curious about what a fipple looks like from the side view - like if someone would take it off and cut straight down the middle. If you could afford to sacrifice a cheapie, that might answer a few of your questions. I imagine that even a dremel would suffice for that cutting job.