whose the king of the cheapies?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

whose the king of the cheapies?

feadog
28%
generation
24%
susato
12%
acorn
2%
oak
9%
clarke
25%

Total votes: 129

cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

CLARKE IS THE KING AND THE ORIGINAL -------------- :D
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

You can pick up some of Jerry Freeman's whistles for under $20 - wouldn't they count as cheapies?
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
benbrad

Freeman Whistles

Post by benbrad »

Really? Where?
Ben
CapnDistracto

Post by CapnDistracto »

As Judy said, while not a "cheapie" by nature, the inexpensive Dixons are a fantastic buy. The polymer D is about $18 or so most places and it's a very sweet whistle that is well in tune.

Edit: Just read Strom's post, and I have to agree with him. The Dixon was the first non-cheapie I'd purchased and there was just something about that sound that wouldn't let me put it down. New whistle discovery aside, it fits into that whole finding the whistle that you sound better playing as a beginner, which encourages you. Feadogs and Oaks are great and take a lot of my play time, but how I sound on a Feadog or Oak now as opposed to when I first tried controlling one of them is entirely different. Also, the very light air requirement of the Dixon is very helpful for training your breathing as a beginner.
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Clark originals, Waltons, Gens, Faedogs and Susatos; although I love also Burke, Sindt, Copeland and Abell, load your quiver with the aforementioned cheapies and you're set for life.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
shadeclan

Re: Freeman Whistles

Post by shadeclan »

benbrad wrote:Really? Where?
You can look at tweaked Sweetones at the following stores:
Gaelic Crossings
Irish Flute Store
The Whistle Shop
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

PhilO wrote:Clark originals, Waltons, Gens, Faedogs and Susatos; although I love also Burke, Sindt, Copeland and Abell, load your quiver with the aforementioned cheapies and you're set for life.

Philo
i can tell your a content man :D
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

When I first read the title, Clarke immediately popped into my head although I prefer the Feadogs because they too were my first whistle and are a lot less breathy than the Clarkes. Feadogs have the what I think of as the traditional sound for a tin whistle. But then again, I am a newbie.
Steve1776

Clarke Meg

Post by Steve1776 »

King of the cheap whistles? The Clarke Meg is $3 - cheap enough to give away to kids in a whistle class, yet not a bad whistle. You can buy them in 3 dozen batches directly from Clarke for $2 each.

I have posted a song played on an untweaked Clarke Meg D on my website, http://www.whistleharmony.com/Whistle.html
lalit

Post by lalit »

Steve1776, your Meg sounds WAY better than mine, which seems to have a funky blade (that I have been unable to fix). I think I need to go spend another $3 -- kind of like buying a lottery ticket, isn't it?

However, I like my Clarke Original better anyway, so perhaps no lottery today, after all! :) ...It must be those nice painted diamonds swaying my opinion... Joking, just joking! Honestly, though, I'm not bothered by the diamonds. What I like is its simple, old-fashioned construction and its sound.
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

hmmm....well, i love the tweaked Sweetone i just got yesterday. it plays EVER so much better than my Walton brass D...i love its peppy sound! but i still haven't tried the feadog or generation, so i have no way of knowing which one is best for me. :)
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
Ballyfingers

Re: Clarke Meg

Post by Ballyfingers »

Steve1776 wrote:King of the cheap whistles? The Clarke Meg is $3 - cheap enough to give away to kids in a whistle class, yet not a bad whistle. You can buy them in 3 dozen batches directly from Clarke for $2 each.

I have posted a song played on an untweaked Clarke Meg D on my website, http://www.whistleharmony.com/Whistle.html
There was a huge beginner workshop here in Ottawa in August at the local Folk Festival. Over 200 Megs were given away. I wrote a teeny review of it here:
http://irishmusicottawa.blogspot.com/20 ... takes.html

Craig
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The clear winner: Personal preference.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I voted feadog, but prefer waltons.

I suppose everyone knows it was Picard, not Kirk, who "played" the "whistle."
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Congratulations wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:i like clarke, but mary bergin would tell you generation.
I'd tend to take her word for it. :wink:
Not that it's a cheapie, but Mary Bergin plays Sindt.