News about Generation Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

News about Generation Whistles

Post by Dale »

I have learned the following about Generation whistles from, as they say, a very reliable source.

1. Barnes and Mullins is no longer making the Generation whistles. They are now being made by what I gather to be a new company, Generation Music. I do not yet have contact information.

2. A well known whistle-maker is working with the new Generation makers on some re-design work. These design changes, about which I do not know details, have been implemented in the Bb instrument.

3. Over the next year or so, their other keys will be evaluated and re-designed.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Forty years ago we put men on the moon. Today? Can't do it.

Sixty years ago we made cheap decent whistles. Today? We need a couple of years of research, engineering and prototyping.

Sheesh, these engineers must know something I don't. :boggle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

I smell a surge of Bb sales coming on... :wink:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

crookedtune wrote:Forty years ago we put men on the moon.
I'm not sure that many people believe that anymore!

DreamOgreen wrote:I smell a surge of Bb sales coming on...
Yikes, you're right! I'll get my order in tomorrow.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, I'm holding off on my Bb order. I don't know how long they've been making them with the changes and it takes a while, I should think, for these new ones to work their way through the distribution chain.

Ironically, although my personal experience was that the quality control problem was notable in the Ds, I NEVER had a problem with a Bb.

Dale
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

The Bb's have always been the friendliest Generations to me, with the D/Eb's being the most erratic. I must say that I consider a Generation Bb directly off the shelf to be a wonderful whistle and am very excited to see if this new one can be any better.
emtor

Post by emtor »

No problemo,-Myself and Jerry Freeman will tweak those new Generations into sounding just like the current ones. :D
mamakash

Re: News about Generation Whistles

Post by mamakash »

Dale wrote:I have learned the following about Generation whistles from, as they say, a very reliable source.

1. Barnes and Mullins is no longer making the Generation whistles. They are now being made by what I gather to be a new company, Generation Music. I do not yet have contact information.

2. A well known whistle-maker is working with the new Generation makers on some re-design work. These design changes, about which I do not know details, have been implemented in the Bb instrument.

3. Over the next year or so, their other keys will be evaluated and re-designed.
See what happens when the board picks on Generation? You big meanies! :D
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

emtor wrote:No problemo,-Myself and Jerry Freeman will tweak those new Generations into sounding just like the current ones. :D

:thumbsup:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Adrian wrote:
crookedtune wrote:Forty years ago we put men on the moon.
I'm not sure that many people believe that anymore!

[sarcasm]Ummm, right.[/sarcasm]
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Here’s hoping that the only change for the D is for the head to not be glued on. Do that for all the whistles, remove the “hiss” from all the ones that have it (Bb and C are the ones of mine that do this, don’t know about keys Eb-G) and it’ll be all good.
Check out: Folding@Home!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

crookedtune wrote:Forty years ago we put men on the moon. Today? Can't do it.

Sixty years ago we made cheap decent whistles. Today? We need a couple of years of research, engineering and prototyping.

Sheesh, these engineers must know something I don't. :boggle:
For all we know, they might simply be working on a return to the old design and on ways of ensuring more consistency without individual attention to each whistle. Presumably Generation know that they have a product which inspires brand loyalty and wouldn't want to lose that. Presumably, whoever is making suggestions and doing measurements for them also has a regular job. (Michael Copeland worked on the Sweetone.)

If I owned the company, I'd want to improve consistency but not at the cost of losing my regular customers. So I wouldn't be making any binding decisions in a great hurry.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah, but how could WHATEVER they're doing require a year of research? They're whistles! :boggle: Personally, I like the Gens (with a tweak). I hope they don't do something weird to 'em.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Uh oh. I'd better go out and buy a handful of the current ones in case they change them for the worse. I'll need enough to last me until I die, I guess, just in case.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

It doesn't really matter to me because with the exception of my Bb, I don't play them as they come anyway. As long as I'm putting a tweak on all of mine now, I might as well continue doing so.