News about Generation Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

crookedtune wrote:Yeah, but how could WHATEVER they're doing require a year of research? They're whistles! :boggle: Personally, I like the Gens (with a tweak). I hope they don't do something weird to 'em.
Dale didn't say anything about the research taking a year. Much more likely is that the decision making has taken a year.

To repeat: if you own a business that does very well and has a devoted clientel but which is accused of inconsistency and poor quality control, you would want to rectify the faults without alienating the fans. Deciding which changes to implement and when might take ages, since management would be attending to thousands of other tasks as well. The future of the company could well depend on what advice is taken and how it is implemented. There is a lot of competition down the cheap end. My guess is that the research itself consists of a reputable high-end maker spending a day or two here and there and reporting back to management who then think about the recommendations for a few months and then come back to the maker with a bunch of new questions. He or she answers those questions when their own production schedule permits .. and on it goes.
emtor

Post by emtor »

If you take a look at the whistle market that the folks at Generation needs to take into consideration, how much of that market consists of dedicated whistlers like ourselves, and how many are just people buying some whistle?
The answer to that question is likely to determine the nature of the changes they plan to implement.
In other words;-are they going to make those changes for us, or for the "ignorant masses" out there?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

emtor wrote:If you take a look at the whistle market that the folks at Generation needs to take into consideration, how much of that market consists of dedicated whistlers like ourselves, and how many are just people buying some whistle?
The answer to that question is likely to determine the nature of the changes they plan to implement.
In other words;-are they going to make those changes for us, or for the "ignorant masses" out there?
Both. They aren't going to make changes for the once-off buyer looking for a musical toy since that person isn't going to expect much nor complain to anybody if the whistle is substandard. But if one in ten buyers become regular players, they will come back to buy whistles in other keys and they will buy whistles from time to time just for the hell of it. If they buy ten in their lifetime, the market would be evenly divided, but improved playability would surely be directed primarily at the serial buyer.

It doesn't matter what the proporations of 'toy' to 'serious instrument' sales. Those who don't care about quality aren't going to notice changes anyway. But some people do notice if a musical toy is a good one or not and word gets around and serious whistlers notice things like tone and impediments to playing fluently. Their needs may not exactly coincide but, all things considered, a better whistle for the critical casual buyer will also be a better whistle for the more experienced player.
falkbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by falkbeer »

Dale wrote: Ironically, although my personal experience was that the quality control problem was notable in the Ds, I NEVER had a problem with a Bb.

Dale
This is my experience too!
Bb´s are sold in relatively small quantites comparede to the D´s. Perhaps the Bb moulds were not so worn as the D´s.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

falkbeer wrote:
Dale wrote: Ironically, although my personal experience was that the quality control problem was notable in the Ds, I NEVER had a problem with a Bb.

Dale
This is my experience too!
Bb´s are sold in relatively small quantites comparede to the D´s. Perhaps the Bb moulds were not so worn as the D´s.
I think it's the other way around, actually. I've seen more variation in Bb whistleheads than any other key of Generations. I don't know why that would be, considering that they do sell fewer of them, but if I were going to replace the tooling, the Bb would be a logical place to start.

Wombat's comments make sense; the logical thing for them to do would be to simply create fresh tooling that's faithful to the Generation design, rather than try to design a new model that might not please established Generation enthusiasts.

Best wishes,
Jerry
m31

Post by m31 »

I would think the approach would be something like this:

1. Determine the nature of the existing and potential market, distribution channels, and retail situation.

2. Look at the current operations, competition, risks, including manufacturing, material and labor costs, unions, storage, transportation, environmental regulation, etc. How does this sit with the balance sheet?

3. Determine if greater efficiencies can be derived, especially through outsourcing oportunities. That means the whistle may be fabricated in part, or in whole in some Asian country (guess where).

4. A good market driven organization will focus on those segments that it's capable of satisfying and with a good level of profitability. As it's been suggested, the "serious" players are only a small segment, and besides they'll probably spend most of their money with the high-end makers. The short term wannabees and tourists may constitute the much larger market segments. Can we get Michael Jordan, or Sting to appear on the packaging?

5. Unfortuantely, low end whistles are pretty much commodotized. Generation, Feadog, etc. There isn't really a whole lot of brand distinction. So Generation doesn't have much choice but to keep their product cheap UNLESS they go the way and develop a new brand and/or new line of whistles.

6. The marketing people will look for leveraging or value-added opportunities. How can we jack up the price? Better packaging? Throw in $.50 bodhran, tune book, CD, etc.? Or can we convince retailers to carry a whole suite of our products? Irish jerseys, shot glasses, baseball caps, key chains, socks, AND whistles? Can we convince them to sign exclusivity contracts? If we don't sell all those other trinkets, then who can we team up with?

And so on and so forth. What I'm getting at is tone and playability are two of many considerations. You can probably guess that they won't rank at the very top.
Last edited by m31 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

What if they accidentally hit upon some design that turns out knockout absolutely perfect whistles (tone and playability) at about $9 a pop? Ok, so I'm talking abouy my "perfect." Here we go again...and some people think they're just tubes with holes...hmmph!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
DaveAuty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

Dale wrote;
I NEVER had a problem with a Bb.
Funny that, because I ALWAYS have a problem with a Bb. It must be something to do with my lungs/lips/tongue/throat/breath/body odour... failing all that I'm just a bozo with the B flat.
At first it's okay but after 5 mins or so it just stops producing noise, as if to say "okay thats enough of that thank you"
I look forward with baited breath!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

My few Bb whistles work fine.

Think I'll take a walk down to the local music shop and buy every Gen. in sight.

Better the devil you know and all that..

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

m31 wrote: Can we get Michael Jordan, or Sting to appear on the packaging?
Hmmm... Michael Jordan? Things look very diffrent here on earth.
Perhaps James Galway would boost sales for Generation. He is after all known for playing the tin whistle.

Your bussiness analysis looks very sound though!
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

[quote="

Wombat's comments make sense; the logical thing for them to do would be to simply create fresh tooling that's faithful to the Generation design, rather than try to design a new model that might not please established Generation enthusiasts.

Jerry[/quote]

It´s always a very delicat operation for a company to upgrade an existing line of products. I´ll bet a lot of people will speak in nostalgic terms about the present line of Generation whistles, ten years from now!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

falkbeer wrote:
Perhaps James Galway would boost sales for Generation. He is after all known for playing the tin whistle.

James who? Do you really expect anybody to recognise James's name or picture? I think not!
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I don't think of whistle when I think of James Galway but rather that awful flute! Sorry, I've never been a fan of the boehm flute in trad or folk music. :)
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

Gunslinger wrote:
falkbeer wrote:

James who? Do you really expect anybody to recognise James's name or picture? I think not!
If there is any flute/whistle player that is widely recogized it´s James Galway.
Ask people about a classical guitarist and they still say SEGOVIA! (he died 1987!) As with scientists (Einsten or Steven Hawking), Computer moguls (Bill Gates). I still haven´t figured out what Michael Jordan has to do with tin whistles. But on the other hand, m31 follows this discussion from a galaxy far, far away... :)
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Perhaps they've seen the nuclear r3c0rd3r
and wish to esclate the war
per the Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) doctrine:

That's why The Undisputedtm has been in DaleForce One all this time -
he's in his mobile command post, leading the troops on OUR side . . . :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler