My God! It's HUGE!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rod Sprague
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Rod Sprague »

As a matter of pride, we whistlers need to construct an even lower whistle.
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

I now realise why the two Mollenhauer recorders I possess that were designed by the same lady are branded Adri's Dream.
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

THis beast is actually a copy of a 16th cent. one. They use to play them in consorts. You can't really play something like that solo, you can only use it to play the equivalent of long held-out bass notes on the organ. Ther is no real reason not to make a whistle even lower, though. Just what exactly are you going to do with it, once it's made?
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

Is the Alba low D big? I have an Alba low C, it's big all right, a nice weapon too, but I can play it as any whistle without problems.
Brian Boru

Post by Brian Boru »

When I decided to take up the whistle I built my own. To tune the thing I tuned my guitar to the piano and took my guitar to the workshop since it was easier to haul down the stairs. Unfortunately I did not get the whistle finished the first night and after a couple of days my guitar had gone somewhat flat. Anyway, instead of building a low "D" whistle I inadvertantly made an extremely rare "C#" whistle (how's that for marketing...) It has quite a gap and I have to use piper's grip but it plays fine. I use it sometimes if I am playing by myself. For sessions I built another whistle that is properly tuned to "D". I have found that some people have trouble with the finger spread and felt they might prefer a low whistle tuned to a higher note like "G". My wife bought me a T-shirt as a lark which reads "Big Hands, Big Feet, You do the Math..."

Regarding that huge recorder thing that girl is playing, just imagine how much air it would take...
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

walrii wrote:I guess this proves it: recorder thingies are bigger than whistle thingies. (Posted after returning from a Christmas party with really good nog - apologies to all.)
You're right. The largest whistle I've ever seen is a bass whistle offered by Jubilee Instruments:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
greg

Post by greg »

funny i had this same discussion my wedding night
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Sorry about the bad link, I've been moving things around lately:

I might be making one of these in wood shortly.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I never played a whistle quite like that one.

Daniel, I don't suppose it clogs much, but if it did, would you recommend this?

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
CHIFF FIPPLE

Re: My God! It's HUGE!!!

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

rogue wrote:Why didn't anybody warn me. I thought I could handle it, but It's just too BIG! I have just bought an Alba Low D.

Now guys, I'm not very tall in stature, just 5 foot 8 (in 2 inch heels) and this is my 4th whistle from Alba, the other three being "normal sized". It's just kind of hard to reach the holes while blowing the squeaky end. I'm hoping somehow the penny whistle fairy will sprinkle some magic dust on it to make it more manageable.

I guess that in the event it beats me, I could always use it to deter burglers.

Rogue
Hey Rogue.
Good thing yer didne order a bass A :boggle: :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&