Damned

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

They sure sound good.
[i]Aebleskiver, Denmark's answer to the doughnut.[/i] By Debra Samuels, Globe Correspondent, April 30, 2003 wrote:
COPENHAGEN -- Ask any Dane or Danish-American about aebleskivers, and you'll be
treated to broad smiles. Aebleskiver --literally ''apple slice'' -- is a pancake puffball that rarely contains the apple tidbit originally tucked into its center as a sweet surprise.

But the name, pronounced ay-bla-skeever, has stuck. Gone in two bites, this traditional Danish dessert, sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with raspberry jam during the holidays, is made in a cast iron pan that resembles an egg poacher, with seven round depressions. It is placed directly atop a flame.

The batter bubbles, the puffs are turned with a knitting needle, and soon the aebleskivers are rolling
from the pan. Eaten warm, they are downed before the powdered sugar dust has a chance to settle.....
But they look hard to make.
I highly doubt mine would "roll" from the pan :lol:.
I can just see it now.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Cynth wrote:They sure sound good.
Well they are good

But the name, pronounced ay-bla-skeever (not sure about that)

Cynth wrote:But they look hard to make.
Well it's kind of like learning the whistle, practise does it.
But these dayes most people buy them readymade, frozen, just to put in the oven.
They are actually quite good.

Peter
cfrederi

Post by cfrederi »

Æbleskiver have been made since the 17th century. Back then pieces of apple were dipped in a dough and fried on a pan. Hence the name (Æbleskiver would be "slices of apple" in english). Later on (I haven't got a clue as to when, why and how) they developed into the æbleskiver we have nowadays. In the old days, however (about a hundred years ago) slices of apple were put into them, at least, that was how my great-grandmother made them.

They are really easy to make...

Oh by the way, let me introduce myself. I'm Charlotte and I have played the whistle for 3 days now. And I'd better stop playing for today otherwise my neighbour will surely send me some hard stares. I have tried to hit the high A and D for the last hour or so, but I'm not that successful. Ah well, perhaps tomorrow..
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

cfrederi wrote: Oh by the way, let me introduce myself. I'm Charlotte and I have played the whistle for 3 days now. And I'd better stop playing for today otherwise my neighbour will surely send me some hard stares. I have tried to hit the high A and D for the last hour or so, but I'm not that successful. Ah well, perhaps tomorrow..
Welcome to the Forum!

Why not create a thread and tell us a little about yourself?
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

pjuuldk wrote:But these dayes most people buy them readymade, frozen, just to put in the oven.
They are actually quite good.
Hey, maybe I can find some in a grocery store when we go through Minneapolis in a few days. They have many Scandinavian foods in the stores there. That would be fun to try them. I am sure I would like frozen ones just fine.
cfrederi wrote:Æbleskiver have been made since the 17th century. Back then pieces of apple were dipped in a dough and fried on a pan. Hence the name (Æbleskiver would be "slices of apple" in english). Later on (I haven't got a clue as to when, why and how) they developed into the æbleskiver we have nowadays. In the old days, however (about a hundred years ago) slices of apple were put into them, at least, that was how my great-grandmother made them.

They are really easy to make...

Oh by the way, let me introduce myself. I'm Charlotte and I have played the whistle for 3 days now. And I'd better stop playing for today otherwise my neighbour will surely send me some hard stares. I have tried to hit the high A and D for the last hour or so, but I'm not that successful. Ah well, perhaps tomorrow..
:lol: Hello, Charlotte! It's nice to meet you under these rather odd circumstances---a thread about a cut thumb turns into a discussion about aebleskiver and suddenly we meet another member from Denmark who makes aebleskiver and plays the whistle----but does not have a cut finger I hope. Welcome! You will get the trick of the high notes----you do blow a bit harder, but you'll find that it helps to make some changes in your throat, tongue, cheeks, and lips----just the way you do if you are whistling a tune with your lips and you change the pitch, all those parts of your mouth work together to go from low to high and vice versa. It isn't complicated, just a bit of a trick. Once you get it, it becomes automatic. It took me longer than 3 days to get the knack of it---but I am probably rather slow.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
emtor

Post by emtor »

Jeg ser mine gode danske naboer er her inne. Epleskiver høres godt ut :D
emtor

Post by emtor »

I belive that Gløgg is an inter scandinavian thing, I know they drink it in Sweden, so why not in Finland.
Helt korrekt. vi drikker det i Norge også.
(Translation for those of you not familiar with the scandinavian languages:
Quite correct, we drink it here in Norway too.)
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

emtor wrote: Helt korrekt. vi drikker det i Norge også.
(Translation for those of you not familiar with the scandinavian languages:
Quite correct, we drink it here in Norway too.)

Heck... sounds much like English read out loud. :)

Ah must be the Normans doing! :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Hej Charlotte velkommen her i dette underlige men også sjove og lærerige forum. Som Cynth skriver startede jeg denne tråd fordi jeg var brandærgerlig over at have skåret mig i hånden og derfor ikke kunne øve, det udviklede sig så til en større diskution om æbleskiver.
Omgangstonen her kan være hård men kærlig. Hvis du skriver her så vær klar til at blive mobbet lidt, men ofte vil der være en masse søde mennesker klar med gode råd og opmuntringer.
Lykke til med fløjten (hvad er det for en?), det er et sjovt lille instrument, men pas nu på ikke at overanstrenge dig her i starten.

To the rest of you. Sorry abuot the languice :oops: , I was just telling Charlotte what great people you all are :thumbsup:

Peter
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

pjuuldk wrote:Hej Charlotte velkommen her i dette underlige men også sjove og lærerige forum. Som Cynth skriver startede jeg denne tråd fordi jeg var brandærgerlig over at have skåret mig i hånden og derfor ikke kunne øve, det udviklede sig så til en større diskution om æbleskiver.
Omgangstonen her kan være hård men kærlig. Hvis du skriver her så vær klar til at blive mobbet lidt, men ofte vil der være en masse søde mennesker klar med gode råd og opmuntringer.
Lykke til med fløjten (hvad er det for en?), det er et sjovt lille instrument, men pas nu på ikke at overanstrenge dig her i starten.

To the rest of you. Sorry abuot the languice :oops: , I was just telling Charlotte what great people you all are :thumbsup:

Peter
A Likely Story!!! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
emtor

Post by emtor »

Heck... sounds much like English read out loud.
Yes,-a lot of the words in Norwegian/Danish/Swedish are very close to the same words in english. Before the english language got influenced by french it was even closer to Norwegian, and before that again english was closer still. In the viking ages people in scandinavia and england spoke virtually the same language.
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

shadeclan wrote: A Likely Story!!! :D
:o Honestley!! Yearh, well, :oops: I did allso say welcome and happy whistling. :wink: