Cutting question!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pjuuldk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cutting question!

Post by pjuuldk »

Hi All.

I've now been playing the whistle for a year, that I've spend learning the whistle to know, trying out different whistles.
I'm now at the point where I'm cumfterbal :oops: (sorry about the spelling, hope you get the meaning) with the whistle so I'm beginning to take up ornamentations.
For now I'm working on cuts and i have a problem cutting the D, my book tells me to cut D with A, but I don't think it sounds right/natural.
So.
What do You folks use to cut D??

Peter
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I cut wth my 'G' finger for D. Not everyone does.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I use a G cut too.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Unseen122 wrote:I use a G cut too.
If John cuts with the G finger, wouldn't that be an A cut?

xxo xxx cut
xxx xxx D
/Bloomfield
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bloomfield wrote:

xxo xxx cut
xxx xxx D
:thumbsup:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote:

xxo xxx cut
xxx xxx D
Is it though? I'll defer to you on semantics, but you're not really playing an A either, since the F#, E and D hole are all covered. I can see why one would be inclined to call it an A cut, but I guess I don't know the official names of all these things, which is why I chose to describe it as I did. And even that is fraught with uncertainty, since one could also say that the finger that covers the last hole that makes a G is not necessarily called a G finger.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Cut with T3?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

That's it, Adrian. Also Peter, sometimes with the vented D, it is difficult to get a clean cut using the standard method discussed in this thread. On some whistles, the cut is cleaner if one chooses not to vent the D, when cutting the note.

Not to confuse the issue...

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

This is an interesting one! I have noticed that some of the the thin-walled whistles tend to have a squeek problem with T4 - D cuts - specially Gens. It can be done with a whole bunch of practice. The trick seems to be getting the T4 vented just enough to interupt the note then closing it with sufficient speed to get some pop without bending the whistle. I imagine that after a few years of this, one will have either; a huge T4 cut muscle in their fore-arm or terminal RSI :lol:
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Peter try covering all the holes and cut with the F or E fingers
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Hi.

Thanks for the advices everyone :) .
I,ve done a litle experimenting and find that the one that sounds most natural (to me) and on the same time the easyest to play is Blaydos advise with all holes covered and cutting with the E finger. the most difficult about it is to remember to blose the top hole.

Thanks everyone.

Peter
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

Try also getting used to cutting it with the F finger, a combination of 2 quick cuts with the E then F fingers will later on give you a short cran or D roll.

Also don't give up playing your high D with the top hole vented because depending on the whistle this can often sound better. It's good to be able to do it both ways. Depending on the phrase you might often find it a lot quicker and easier to leave all the holes covered.
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Thanks for the advice Blaydo.
Interesting effect with that twofinger cut, takes a bit of prakticing though. Well I've just been sacked for the winter (working as a gartner) so I've got a lot of time to practise at the moment.

Peter