REVIEW: Hudson Wind by Peter Bonsteel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I checked after Jerry posted that Phil, it's still €125 and I find that too much to spend on a whistle on a whim.

I was looking at the Hudsonwind website and think it's a good presentation of the whistle that tells me more than the review to be honest for example it tells me the whistle is tuned to equal temperament with the caveat things are subject to how it's blown. Rather than saying 'it's in tune but some are 15 cents off'.

The maker would do himself, and the rest of us, a really big favour by putting up some soundclips that are so well played they convey an impression of what the whistle is capable of. And I mean stuff better than you see on some makers' sites because that's another pet peeve of mine, when I go to a maker's website and find, as happens too often, mediocre clips I assume the maker's standard is on the same level. I have been put off several whistles in that way in the past.
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Children, children, it's just a whistle, and it's just one man's opinions in a review. Now go to your rooms.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

brewerpaul wrote:Children, children, it's just a whistle, and it's just one man's opinions in a review. Now go to your rooms.

:sniffle: Awww, Dad! :sniffle:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

brewerpaul wrote:Children, children, it's just a whistle, and it's just one man's opinions in a review. Now go to your rooms.
Is it OK if we lurk till we fall asleep. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

Great Review!
BTW, im sure someone has mentioned it, but if not im terribly sorry, Is this person currently selling his completed projects? And if so how would i get a hold of the information, sorry, i know its probaly an obvious question that i failed to overlook but if someone could be patient with me and tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

again, Great Review!!! :D
I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
-Mahatma Ghandi
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

~William~ wrote:Great Review!
BTW, im sure someone has mentioned it, but if not im terribly sorry, Is this person currently selling his completed projects? And if so how would i get a hold of the information, sorry, i know its probaly an obvious question that i failed to overlook but if someone could be patient with me and tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

Go back to the first page and read down the review a little untill you see his web site. Then click on it.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Peter Laban wrote:The maker would do himself, and the rest of us, a really big favour by putting up some soundclips that are so well played they convey an impression of what the whistle is capable of.
Ok, here's a thought. I have one now - and I'm enjoying the heck out of playing it. But I am willing to part with it for a couple weeks - for a good purpose, with full guarantee I will get it back.

Do you suppose there is a whiz-bang, really good whistler that would like to try it? Play it a week, record a couple tunes, then put it back in the mail to me?

If you want to remain anonymous you can send MP3s to me and I'll put them up on my website. Now the difficult issue may be finding a whistler that passes Peter's muster (does that sound vaguely obscene?). :D

I'll pay the shipping to the subject whiz-bang whistler; the whiz-bang whistler will pay the shipping back to me. I'll bet you the cost of return shipping will be worth the kick you'll get out of playing the whistle for a week - even just to sate your curiosity.

PM me if you're qualified, unafraid of Peter's ear, and willing to give it a go.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Daniel, save the shipping. I would like to listen to your sound clip.
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

Tommy wrote:
~William~ wrote:Great Review!

Go back to the first page and read down the review a little untill you see his web site. Then click on it.
Thank you very much :D
I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
-Mahatma Ghandi
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tommy wrote:Daniel, save the shipping. I would like to listen to your sound clip.
I agree-- the vast majority of us here are NOT pros: just folks who enjoy listening to and playing whistles. I'd love to hear what you've got. Mind you, I've played one of these whistles already.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would be delighted to hear sound clips from anyone who cares to offer them.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

peeplj wrote:I would be delighted to hear sound clips from anyone who cares to offer them.

--James
Me too!

-Casey
Life is good.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

peeplj wrote:I would be delighted to hear sound clips from anyone who cares to offer them.
Be careful what you wish for. You may just get it.

Haha!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

There's this strange attitude here where people look down on a whistle played well the attitude that says 'a player like that would make anything sound great' paired to a great reverence for clips played in a mediocre way 'so I know what I would sound like'. It baffles me, no matter your own standard, the only way to judge an instrument is to hear it played with some competence.
When talking about a maker's website, where a whistle's capabilities ought to be showcased you don't expect a mediocre player to do it.. I maintain that if a maker is content to present his work played in utterly mediocre fashion his standards are likely to be on the same level and I won't touch his whistle unless I get an opportunity to play it myself.

Another habit here is to make it sound I have ridiculously high standards, I don't but to judge a whistle I do require a sort of minimum competence, being able to blow into a whistle properly and play rolls, too much to ask is it, for showcasing a high price instrument?

And regarding the issue of clips being enjoyable to listen to: this depends on the context they are presented in. What may be perfectly enjoyable as a clip of a learner making good progress into the intermediate levels may not be suitable at all as a showcase clip.

It would be ridiculous to send a whistle over for it but in case anyone wonders, if I had the whistle here I wouldn't mind posting a clip.
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Just heard from Phil Hardy.
He's got one of the whistles and will soon be posting one of his revieus with a sound sample.

Peter Juul