REVIEW: Hudson Wind by Peter Bonsteel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Well if the sound clip is of no help to you. Then call the seller on the cell phone, and ask them to play it for you. If your going to spend $50 to $800 for a whistle, then use a few minutes on that cell phone. Unless of course you really need to call your friends and let them know where you are stuck in traffic or to order a pizza again. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I think my taste in whistles and my views on expensive whistles are generally pretty close to Peter's. But (although it would cetainly be nice to hear a seasoned player putting the Bonsteel through its paces), I appreciated the review.

It's an intriguing whistle - nice-looking and on the evidence presented, nice-sounding. Certainly a lot nicer-looking than most of the high-price offerings, some of which look as though they were designed by Soviet military engineers.

Assuming it was responsive, well-behaved in fast reels and the breath pressure suited me, I might be very interested in one. But only if it cost half as much as it does.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

StevieJ wrote:Certainly a lot nicer-looking than most of the high-price offerings, some of which look as though they were designed by Soviet military engineers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aww c'mon man, the external slide tubes fastened to the outside of those Kalisnakov AK-97 Whistles are kind of cute - they make those whistles look like little rocket launchers.

Maybe we could do a "Whistles for Arms" buyback program with those instruments overseas :wink:

Loren
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Loren wrote:
StevieJ wrote:Certainly a lot nicer-looking than most of the high-price offerings, some of which look as though they were designed by Soviet military engineers.

Aww c'mon man, the external slide tubes fastened to the outside of those Kalisnakov AK-97 Whistles are kind of cute - they make those whistles look like little rocket launchers.

Maybe we could do a "Whistles for Arms" buyback program with those instruments overseas :wink:

Loren
Whistles to plowshares.
/Bloomfield
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

Bloomfield wrote:
Loren wrote:

Loren
Whistles to plowshares.
And he shall judge among the sessions, and shall rebuke many players:
and they shall beat their flutes into plowshares, and their recorders into pruning-hooks:
player shall not lift up whistle against player, neither shall they learn war any more.
Isaiah O'Riordan, chapter 2, vs 4
:D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

dfernandez77 wrote:
shadeclan wrote:Image
Would you trust this face to guide you? :lol:
That face looks like it quite possibly knows where the good ale is.

So in a word... Yes!
Ahhh, my friend - you have once again been deceived.
You see, I . . .
Am A teetotaler!
(heavy discordant background music plays here)

So you see, I come by my good looks naturally! :lol:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Well I see I'm a couple of days late (as usual) but I I just wanted to add my thanks, Slowair for a really nice review. :)

I especially enjoyed the introduction; being able to put a face to the maker. Nice touch.

Keep it up; I hope to read more from you in the future. Don't let the "hecklers" get you down.

Peace!

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I also enjoyed the review.

I think reviews by players of all levels are a great function of this board.

Just a thought--if you don't like a review of a whistle, for whatever reason, why don't you contact the maker for a loaner and come up with a review of your own? In my experience many makers are perfectly happy to do this.

If you don't ask, you'll never know.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
slowair

Post by slowair »

peeplj wrote:I also enjoyed the review.

I think reviews by players of all levels are a great function of this board.

Just a thought--if you don't like a review of a whistle, for whatever reason, why don't you contact the maker for a loaner and come up with a review of your own? In my experience many makers are perfectly happy to do this.

If you don't ask, you'll never know.

--James
I would think it easier to whine. Once people realize the hours that go into a review, they may have a bit more respect. First you have to spend hours, even days with a whistle before you can get a good feel for it. Then, depending on quality of the photos, that can takes several hours to set-up, shot and edit. Then the actual writting takes hours to do, combined with coordinating the photos. Then there is the recording of sound samples.
In the end, it took me the better part of three evenings to create that review.
I won't say anything about the negative responses. My grandmother told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
To those who voiced a positive response, you are welcome. I didn't write this to see my own words, I did it so the folks here could get an introduction to a new whistle and it's maker. That's all.
There will be more reviews to come in the near future. They will be clearly marked as this one was...REVIEW. So for those who claim they don't read reviews anymore...please don't.
It has been a pleasure.
Mike
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Thanks a lot Mike, for the time and effort! I enjoyed it.

-Casey
Life is good.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Mike's right..a lot of time and effort goes into a thorough review. It's a lot easier to type "bah rubbish!" than it is to get off your duff and write your own review ;)

Good show, Mike.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

slowair wrote: I would think it easier to whine. Once people realize the hours that go into a review, they may have a bit more respect. First you have to spend hours, even days with a whistle before you can get a good feel for it. Then, depending on quality of the photos, that can takes several hours to set-up, shot and edit. Then the actual writting takes hours to do, combined with coordinating the photos. Then there is the recording of sound samples.
In the end, it took me the better part of three evenings to create that review.
I won't say anything about the negative responses. My grandmother told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
To those who voiced a positive response, you are welcome. I didn't write this to see my own words, I did it so the folks here could get an introduction to a new whistle and it's maker. That's all.
There will be more reviews to come in the near future. They will be clearly marked as this one was...REVIEW. So for those who claim they don't read reviews anymore...please don't.
It has been a pleasure.
Mike
Mike, you should have left it as it was. What I said was not personal, so don't go for it yourself by telling me to shut up or not read what you say, there's no need. One thing of doing stuff in the public arena is accepting you will never please everyone.

I appreciate the amount of work gone into writing this piece (although, really: getting a clip done, what would it take five minutes each?) and as a piece of information telling us about some features of the whistle and the maker, it was fine. But that is as far as it went.

I'll say once more: I find it extremely frustrating the piece fails to give a hint, an indication that the whistle, which as I also said looks fine and tickles the curiosity, would be one one would like to have because you can make music fly on it. And in spite of all effort for me that element is just not there. What can it do that will make it a better whistle to play than the one in the clip I posted (except for looking pretty), that really is what I would like to know and the piece fails on that account. I suppose it was just that bit too much to ask for. But as it stands: all I did was vent that frustration.

I agree with Steve, at half the price I'd be willing to take my chances and have a go at it but only if there were an indication there was something to gain musically.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:... at half the price I'd be willing to take my chances and have a go ... .
With the US dollar falling like a brick, you may get your opportunity sooner, rather than later.

Best wishes,
Jerry
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Peter Laban wrote:... at half the price I'd be willing to take my chances and have a go ... .
With the US dollar falling like a brick, you may get your opportunity sooner, rather than later.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry, I'm just rousing from a red whine and garlic induced coma, but isn't it the opposite; with the value of the dollar falling, won't Peter be paying twice as many of them .... :-?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Never mind; you're right; Peter's not in America. Back to sleep for me... :oops:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.