REVIEW: Hudson Wind by Peter Bonsteel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

REVIEW: Hudson Wind by Peter Bonsteel

Post by slowair »

Hudson Winds Whistle Review

Introduction: As most everyone here, I first saw this whistle on Chiff and Fipple in a post by Dale. I am probably not alone in my immediate reaction of “Wow, that’s a beautiful whistle!”. Naturally the first question on my mind was, “Does it play as good as it looks?”
Enough interest was generated so that I had to learn more. I wrote to the maker and asked if he accepted visitors. Obtaining an enthusiastic invitation, I asked Paul Busman to go along to investigate this new instrument and meet the maker.

After a pleasant drive, we arrived and found the home I was warned would be purple. As we drove up to a very purple cottage, we were greeted at the door by Peter Bonsteel, who made it very clear that the home’s color choice was Vivian’s (his partner). Everyone laughed and this set the tone for a light hearted get together with the center of most conversations being whistles and in particular Peter’s new addition.

About the maker: Peter is a tall, lean man who appears to be just what he is…a wood worker. He looks like he should have a show on PBS. Appearances aside, Peter is the kind of person who is so obviously appreciative of his blessings. He loves Vivian, his life and his place in it.
With regard to his whistle, he is humble to the point of smiling like a little boy who has hit his first homerun. He knows he has worked hard to get there, but still can’t believe it and has a huge grin when complimented.
He should fit in comfortably among our other whistle makers.

Maker: Peter Bonsteel/Hudson Winds
http://www.hudsonwinds.com/
Whistle: Tunable brass conical, key of D with acetal fipple plug.
Price: $165.00 USD

At first glance, you can see this whistle is well made and a quality instrument. After spending some time listening to two whistle makers exchanging techniques and related information, it was clear to me this guy knew his stuff, even though I don’t know very much about the specifics of whistle making. This wasn’t a project started in the garage and finished in a week. Peter has the prototypes to prove it.

Yes, the whistle is aesthetically pleasing, a work of art really.
So, how does it play…?

Picking it up, it is not light weight, but not the heaviest piece of brass I’ve held. It is just right and well balanced. Very comfortable to hold.

The body is conical and formed using a mandrel, not rolled.

The mouth piece has the flat top and this is a first for me. Felt different, but quickly became accustomed to it.

Windway is tapered. The window, blade and…well, even if I understood what was described, I couldn’t say or I’d be swimming with the fishes. Let’s just say Peter did his homework and has come up with a very impressive design that will no doubt influence others.

Like most, there are certain things I look for in my whistles. A strong low end is first on the list. I want that bell note to be up there in volume with all the other notes. Peter’s whistle accomplishes this very nicely. Good strong low end.

Next, a whistle has to be pure sounding. To me, pure means you don’t hear a lot of air being pushed through the instrument. First octave is flawless. Second octave needs steady pressure and toward the top end you can hear the slightest bit of air. Really slight. If I weren’t thinking about it, I probably wouldn’t even notice.

Tuning was pretty darn close to perfect. Most notes were dead on while others drifted a few cents in either direction. C natural was best played half holed or cross fingered OXXXOO. OXXOOO was about 15 cents sharp. Which is close enough for me.

Tuning is accomplished by sliding the top and bottom toward or away from each other. There is no additional parts for the slide. Though the body is conical, the top section is cylindrical and slides very firmly into the head piece. No additional parts, no O-rings. Just precision craftsmanship.

Transition between octaves is smooth, but does require attention to breath pressure. The higher up in scale that you go, the more pressure the whistle requires. It took me about two hours to feel like I was in control and the whistle was an old friend.

Volume is the high end of moderate. I would feel comfortable taking this whistle into seisiun. You can push it for volume without it switching octaves uncontrollably.

For me, I like a whistle with low air requirement. When I saw the size of the bore and wind way, I was certain this whistle would ‘take my breath away’. Yes it does need attention paid to keeping constant pressure, but I was pleasantly surprised to find I had wind to spare. I haven’t had the experience of coming to the end of a phrase with this whistle and having to cut it short.

I like a whistle that has a well behaved upper second octave. I don’t like getting up there and having the sound be so shrill it hurts. This whistle is not the quietest whistle on the top end and it does need that extra push, BUT it does not get so loud that it is shrill. After a short time, you learn where the correct level of push is so that you are not blowing your brains out for those upper notes. So, it’s a bit loud, but certainly not shrill.

Those who know me, know my favorite tune is also the one that I play to judge a whistle. Innerlight by Jay Chattaway; immortalized in the Star Trek episode of the same name. If you’ve tried this piece, you know how important it is to not just hit that third D, but sustain it. This was not something that came easy on this whistle, but like the rest of the upper end, it comes down to pressure. When I was able to play this piece comfortably, I knew it was capable. Although, the third D does play sharp by about 15 cents. Again, I can live with that.

Hole placement is good. I didn’t even think about it until writing this. Hole size is very comfortable. Holes have no sharp edges and your fingers can have a field day slurring and bending notes.

Clogging is not a big issue. Played cold without warm up, you can ‘feel’ it getting moist, but it has never shut down or forced me to stop. Warming the head is best and needs only a bit of breathing in warm air. Once the whistle is warmed up, clogging has not been an issue.

Conclusion: This whistle is a work of art to the eye and ear. I would not recommend someone learn to play whistle on this instrument. It’s more a second whistle. Knowledge of breath control is essential for best performance.

For me, the whistle is waiting to see what I want from it. Fast or slow, this whistle has personality. It’s crisp and clean sounding and the notes charge out of the whistle. It very nicely translates into music the emotion you put into it.

In the hands of an intermediate player such as myself or higher, this is a truly precision instrument that is worthy of being placed among the top whistles today. Considering this is Peter’s introduction piece, I can only imagine where he will end up. Staying with it, we will undoubtedly find him among the top whistlesmiths. Good luck Peter. Very nice job.

Note: I’m told an Eb is not far off. A C is planned and will NOT be interchangeable with the D/Eb head.

Sound Samples

Dennis Murphey's http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/dm.mp3

Down By the Sally Garden http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/sally.mp3

Geese IN The Bog http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/geese.mp3

Inner Light http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/innerlight01.mp3
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Terrific review. Thanks for your effort.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Mike, you have done a great service to the C & F community with this fine review. Informative, light--but not full of fluff, casual and to the point. The photos are a real plus. I hope that the next time you get that close to NYC you will let me know ahead of time so that we can perhaps meet up. It is, however, apparent that you were focussed on the mission, and we are all the beneficiaries of that.

Be well,

Tom D.
dyersituations

review

Post by dyersituations »

Great review. The whistle looks like a piece of art to me. You've got me to consider buying one, but I don't know if I will have enough money right now...hmm... Nice pictures too. It's always fun to see the person behind the art. I look forward to hearing more about these whistles, and possibly owning one in the near future. Thanks.

-Casey :)
Life is good.
Frogwing

Post by Frogwing »

I'm really a complete newbie but I liked the sound of those examples. Looking forward to when I can sound something near as good as that.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

This is a nice looking whistle but the review tells me very little, as is the wont of reviews posted here. Listening to the soundclips of the Geese in the Bog and Denis Murphy's I wonder what the whistle has over the one played in this clip from whistlethis, which had a pricetag of 1/50 th of the one reviewed. When does a whistle become 'art' instead of a well made tool made by a craftsman?

I know, it's the old debate and maybe it's just me doing the Mr Grumpy thing but the example clips just baffle me and I have to ask.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Peter Laban wrote: the review tells me very little, as is the wont of reviews posted here.
Ok Peter - what would be the 3 to 5 (or so) criteria one should comment on that would tell you the most about a whistle? And what measure would you choose to describe the whistle's performance within each of the individual criterion?

Here I am asking an honest question - not starting a debate.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Frogwing

Post by Frogwing »

Sorry, maybe this doesn't really fit in this topic, but I got interested in that song Down By the Sally Garden. I wonder how you play that lovely kind of vibrato in the long notes, is it by breath or with the fingers? Is it something that takes a long time to master or something you can practise from the beginning? And is it possible to get notes for this version?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Let's be clear: I appreciate the effort and the description and everything that has gone into it and I won't quibble about the use of putting a tuner to your whistle in the knowledge how you blow into them can have a significant impact on the intonation. By the end of the day though the important question is: how do they play, how do they sound and would I like to have one. That's why I lifted a clip from whistle this and wondered out loud: what has the reviewed whistle over the one used in the other clip that would make we want to play it and pay a price fifty times higher. It being a work of art, aside ofcourse. Seriously, a bit of slagging aside, I honestly want to know because I don't hear it and the review doesn't tell me.
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Pete, I'm not sure what you actually expect from a review like this. Ideally, it would be great to have a website where a single, experienced player gave a review like this for every whistle available, offering photos, sound clips and video, and offering comparisons. Unfortunately such a website doesn't really exist...

I'm by no means an experienced whistle player (having only recently converted to whistles from a lifetime as a classically trained pianist, jazz saxophonist, and blues guitar tinkerer), but I think this review was great. It was informative, and the closest thing to actually *being* at the table while the whistle was played.

I understand your objection, and your desire to have the reviewer justify purchasing the whistle, but as you say it's all subjective and comes down to those three questions: "how do they play, how do they sound and would I like to have one." I think there's enough information in the review to allow the reader to form a reasonably educated response to those questions. Anything more would mean going in and playing it yourself...

That said, I would have liked to have heard more tunes with ornamentation to hear how the whistle responds to rolls, cuts, cranns etc. I liked all of the biographical stuff - that's really the difference between these whistles and the cheaper, mass-produced alternatives - the craftsmanship and the human being responsible for the final product.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
legolas

Post by legolas »

The sound of the flutes is good in my ear.
can some one please tell me which kind of flute used to play:

Down By the Sally Garden http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/sally.mp3

Inner Light http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/innerlight01.mp3

do they played with the same flute that are shown in the picture?
what is the flute Key, I mean are them an E, Eb, D or something?

are these flutes multi pieces?

How much time for begiiner is requied to play such tones?
1 years?
5 years?

Thanks
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Terrific review Mike.
I've held off adding my own comments on our trip down to meet Peter until Mike posted his, since he has a lot more experience with the whistle than I do. I'll second everything he has said about the whistles and add that they seem to be very consistent. Peter had about 16 of them sitting there on a stand and I think I played a bit on a half dozen of them. Darned if I could discern much difference from one to another. Peter and I are considering a whistlemaker's trade once he has his Eb whistles up and running and I for one am looking forward to that.
Peter's home is on the back side of Beacon Mountain, where I used to hike a lot. It's a fascinating, eclectic home which tells you that the people who live there are very interesting people who you want to get to know better. It turns out that Charlene and I will get a chance to know Vivian (who wasn't there when Mike and I visited) : she and her Mom will be on the post-graduation cruise that Char and I are taking on Dec 18! Funny cooincidence...

In this price range, I really don't think you can go wrong with Peter's whistles. Do give them a strong consideration.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
legolas

Post by legolas »

Can some one post the length, weight and diameter of this flutes?
Thanks
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

brewerpaul wrote:
In this price range, I really don't think you can go wrong with Peter's whistles.
Sorry Paul but at $165 that should be the least you could ask for Image
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Very nice report. Thanks.

I think this maker is charging what he needs to charge and it's not unreasonable from the perspective of considering the labor that goes in.

That said, a good and familiar point is raised by Peter Laban's rather blunt posts. It's really true of all of the expensive whistles. Is the instrument worth the price, when compared to far less expensive instruments? I think that with the introduction of all of these tweaks, some of which are really quite good, it does get harder to say, "yes, you need one of these high-end instruments."