Overwhelmed by McCullough book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bartleby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Overwhelmed by McCullough book

Post by Bartleby »

I just got the L.E. McCullough book and CD package "The Complete Irish Tinwhistle Tunebook" yesterday. I really like it, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the quantity (4 CDs) of tunes it contains. Being relatively new to IrTrad, I'm unfamiliar with most of the tunes. For those of you who have it, what are some of your favorite tunes from the book?
arnie
antispam: No

L.E. McCullough

Post by arnie »

I don't have the book, I have a very old tutorial by L.E. McCullough. I'm also new to playing seriously. I've found someone who teaches me to play the basics well, that's I think much better than learning things from a book. Sean Cunningham has a free online tutorial with short films learning you how to play certain techniques.
The tunes I've learned so far and that aren't too difficult are The Sixpenny Bit (or Sixpenny Money), Morrison's Jig, The Humours Of Whiskey, an air called Southwind and my favorite so far Maid At The Spinning Wheel. I don't know if there's any of these in your book.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Honestly, it's a great set of tunes. You could do worse than starting at the beginning though.

If I recall, he starts with the Swallow's Tail. Great tune, not all that difficult and fun to play. From there, listen to the CDs and learn what appeals to you.
Baglady

Re: L.E. McCullough

Post by Baglady »

arnie wrote: Sean Cunningham has a free online tutorial with short films learning you how to play certain techniques.
Where?
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
arnie

Post by arnie »

I've been searching for the website for you and found what it. The name of the site is http://www.whistletutor.com/. The tutorial consists of a couple of lessons and you can download and save the movies. Good luck
scheky

Post by scheky »

Brother Steve is always a good stop..

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My McCullough book has only 1 cd. I must have gotten an older version.

I really like the book, and I still work on some of the tunes in there, and try some of his ornamentations.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,
FJohnSharp wrote:My McCullough book has only 1 cd. I must have gotten an older version.
There is a seperate tutorial and tune book. The tutorial has one CD. The tunebook has four.

Also a newbie great resource for learning tunes is www.whistlethis.com since you only have to focus on one tune at a time.

Best,

Dave
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

You really can't get too off course. Having the dots and the aural tune to listen to and play with is a great tool. Plus since they hard panned the melody and harmony, you can learn play with either part or against either part. Pretty slick.

My experience though is that even playing along with the record at the faster pace of each song is still pretty slow compare to most sessions in my area. Familiarity with the tunes will build the speed though.

Just dig in! Don't spent too much time on any one tune getting it just right. Build your skills as a player and develop your ear with the CDs so you can go to a session and pick up tunes quickly. You'll find after a bit that revisiting the tunes after hitting many other's will make initially difficult passages easier without any of the psychological hangups that can get in the way when starting out.

Also you could just listen to all the CDs and mark the book on which one's you like the sound of.

Scott
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

FJohnSharp wrote:My McCullough book has only 1 cd. I must have gotten an older version.

I really like the book, and I still work on some of the tunes in there, and try some of his ornamentations.

ahhh. Thanks
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony