Blu-tac tweak doesna do anything for me.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

I decided to try the "blu-tac tweak", but didn't notice any difference afterwards. I'm comparing two Generation Bb whistles and two Mel-Bay branded Megs, one of each with poster puddy in the cavity under the windway and one of each without. So far, the sound and playability of the puddied whistles are virtually identical to their respective control whistles. I compared them through their full two-octave ranges.

I'm wondering what it is that people usually expect from this modification.
Check out: Folding@Home!
arnie
antispam: No

Post by arnie »

try also to clear the mouthpiece from all plastic that shouldn't be there, make it as clear as possible. Then you notice differences.
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

I've already checked the windways. I don't see any obstructions when looking into them.

Really, I am hoping that someone will tell me what this modification is supposed to do.

What I'd like to do to the Bb Generations is eliminate the "hiss" that starts getting noticeable by C of the second octave.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It is supposed to strengthen the bottom notes. I have never noticed any significant difference and always though it a useless idea. But whatever keeps you happy.. ;-)
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

To be honest, the few times I have tried stuffing blue tack into my whistles, I haven't noticed much of a difference either. I thought people did it to mellow the tone a bit, and possibly to make a whistle a little less prone to squeaking.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Hm, mellow. I'd say 'dull it' probably Image
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have found it can make a great difference in many of the cheapies. If your Gen screeches on a few notes then the putty tweak has a good chance of helping. The Bb is the one whistle in the Generation range that I have found that rarely needs this tweak and that it does not make much of a difference if applied.

Jerry Freeman is an authority on tweaking whistles and it would be good to hear from him.
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

My Generation Bb whistles have a major "hiss" noise, emerging at the C of the second octave. A tweak to appropriately solve that would be nice.
yavuz

Same problems, same problems...

Post by yavuz »

Tweeto wrote:My Generation Bb whistles have a major "hiss" noise, emerging at the C of the second octave. A tweak to appropriately solve that would be nice.
I exactly have the same problem. Like you, I have checked my windway, cleaned it of plastic bits and pieces, I have done the blue tack tweak, I have dulled the sound blade, I have put my Gen Bb in hot water in order to make it tuneable, and STILL THE HISSING.

Basically, I have done all the well known and easy-to-do tweaks on my Gen Bb and none of them helped. Since one of you mentioned Jerry Freeman, in the http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html address, he says that basically making a new soundblade can be a helpful method of eliminating the hissing noise:

"More advanced tweaking involves laminating a piece of something (soda bottle plastic, guitar pick, etc.) to the ramp to create a completely new soundblade edge. This can produce an excellent result, but it's tricky to do and is very hit or miss. I've developed an improvement on this technique, where I laminate a new soundblade edge underneath the ramp, inside the whistlehead, but it's technically demanding, and I wouldn't try to coach someone through it."

Since I didn't completely understand how it is done and since it is very "hit and miss" I am not thinking of doing this tweak. Tweeto, if you take the risk, you might give it a try.

Also, I started a similar thread a few weeks ago in this address which you can look at: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
In this thread, someone was saying that replacing the soundblade can also be a useful method:

Bloomfield: "I think you should replace the blade on your Bb. That's fun. Get a thin guitar pic or similar piece of plastic, a sharp pen knife, super glue, and some fine sand paper. Just be sure to mark the spot to which the blad reaches and use a bit of blu tac under the replacement blade until you've got the angle right."

I didn't understand that either(I think both freeman and bloomfield are talking about the same thing) and since this is a difficult tweak, I didn't want to do it without completely understanding how it is done.

All in all, after reading everything written on them, both on this board and in the chiff&fipple site and after doing all the standard tweaks, I have come to the conclusion that I if you are a person who wants to spend more time on playing rather than tweaking and if you are a person who doesn't like doing amateurish mechanical arrangements in something that you just bought, Generations SUCK, because they DON'T have a STANDARD. (the same feelings for Feadogs too).

As a consumer, I think that if the product of a firm doesn't have a clear standard of what they are producing, it is definitely NOT worth taking the risk.

I know that despite all those complaints from people including myself and all the negative things about those two brands, some people will still defend Gens and Feadogs. Well, it is another thing that I have difficulty understanding.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Perhaps, if he was willing, you could send that faulty Gen Bb to Peter, and let him play & record a tune with it. Just to get a second opinion. ;)
yavuz

Post by yavuz »

who is Peter?
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Peter Pan, I guess. The one with green tights. Like Robin Hood. :swear:

:lol:
yavuz

Post by yavuz »

I think, even Peter Pan cannot help me.
:(
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

yavuz wrote:who is Peter?
Peter Laban, whose contribution to this thread can be found by scrolling up a bit... ;)
yavuz

Post by yavuz »

oh, OK.