Which Overton is it?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
phil_doleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phil_doleman »

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting an Overton low D. I've found a used one at a shop which also sells new ones. The used one seems identical to the new ones they have, but is a good price. Neither have a makers name (I know Colin signs his inside the bottom of the tube), so I assume they are Bernard's whistles. It's a reputable shop, so I trust them, but what am I getting? Is a Bernard Overton the same as Colin's Big Hole? I don't want to spend £35 more on a new overton when this used one is in perfect condition.
Help!
Cheers,
Phil Doleman
www.phildoleman.co.uk
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Phil,

If you like the used whistle buy it. Generally speaking if you find a new Overton in England, it was made by Bernard. Used, well then that depends on the age and other factors I suppose. But the bottom line is, if the whistle is in good shape, and you like the way it plays and sounds, then buy it.

If however there is anything about the whistle you don't like (fingerholes too sharp, too hard to blow, too loud, fipple block loose, mouthpiece not long enough....or whatever, then buy a new one, or contact Bernard or Colin and ask them to make you one with the features you like.

Cheers,

Loren
phil_doleman

Post by phil_doleman »

Thanks Loren,
I've got a couple of days off this week, so I sense a shopping trip coming on!
Cheers,
Phil Doleman
www.phildoleman.co.uk
drdagmar

Post by drdagmar »

Well...I do own an Overton Low D and G, both made by Colin Goldie (they are bought in Germany and signed by Colin Goldie). Half a year ago I had the chance to play a new Overton Low D in a shop in England made by Bernard Overton and I think there has been a slight difference between them. I like the tone of my own whistles better and -for me, an absolute beginner- they are more easy to play, they don´t clog as easy as the english one did. Just my personal feelings, cannot proove it. Dagmar
Bevoi

Post by Bevoi »

Heya,

If there are no "Overton" stamps on it, then it is not an Overton, Goldie or otherwise; it's probably a Kerry Pro from Phil Hardy. While I am very partial to Colin's work, I agree with what's already been said: If you like it, who cares what it is.