which feadog?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

which feadog?

Post by LorenzoFlute »

hi, i'm othannen and i'm from italy, so sorry if my english is not perfect...
i'm gonna buy online a feadog high D tin whistle, but there are different kind of them: brass, nickel, and other colored once, that i think are made in plastic... but is there any different between theese materials? which one should i buy?
thank you for the answears...
Last edited by LorenzoFlute on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Recently, people have done reviews of the Feadog Pro, which is nickel with a black mouthpiece, and have liked it. You can search the forums with the Search button on the top of the page.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

i cant find the topic, but anyway i couldnt buy it because in italy its not easy to get a normal whistle, so the feadog pro its just impossible.
so... any other answears? :D
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Buy the brass - it is the 'standard' material used for whistles.

Many choices out there on eBAY:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... %3D1&fgtp=
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

ok i'll buy the brass one but anyway i'd like to know the differences between theese materials... if somebody knows them please write it :)
whistlin'fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlin'fool »

What i have noticed is that the sound between the two metals are different, i like the brass, it has a "warmer, softer" tone to it, whereas the nickel has a "sharp/crisp" (not literally) tonality to it. I like the brass, but i have friends that like the nickel only because it's more durable, it won't bend as easily as brass, also it won't turn slightly green, but i think it marks a well used whistle. Hope this helps a little.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I have played all three of the ones you are asking about. The colored one is not plastic but rather brass coated with a paint of some sort (much like the paint on the Clarkes). The nickel one is only nickel plated brass. My favorite of the three is the plain brass with the green headjoint. Many people say that the material of the body doesn't effect the tone of a whistle but I hear a significant difference in all three. The ones that are painted have a sound that I don't know how to describe other than that it sounds like it's coated. Maybe because the paint coating makes the tubing thicker, I don't know exactly how I would accurately describe it but they seem to almost have a more muffled tone to them. Perhaps because the paint deadens the tone and doesn't let the metal ring the same? I was bummed when I first tried one because I thought the black one looked pretty slick but I wasn't very happy with the sound of it. The nickel plated one looks pretty slick too but it was very temperamental to me. It sounded really thin and didn't have a very strong tone to it. My opinion is that it is a weaker whistle than the brass one. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Johnny
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

thank you very much for the answears :)