Raw N00b

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OnlyAnEgg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Raw N00b

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

Greetings!

I've been playing whistle for 1 day now and my neighbors are now utterly provoked.

On a whim, I picked up an Oak whistle and a Mel Bay songbook and began to practice I'll Tell Me Ma (cause I love Brak AND Paddy) for hours on end. A trombonist by training, I'm not at all used to controlling my airflow.

I like the whistle. I hope the comm here can teach me a bit 'bout whistling.

thanks.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

You can learn plenty here.

The Oak might be bit finicky with breath control for a newbie, but it's a great whistle. Sweet and relatively quiet. Blow gently.

Get a Susato if you really want your neighbors to hear you practice - that's what I hear at least.

Jason
OnlyAnEgg

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

I don't know much; but, I noticed that about this whistle. It's great in the low range when it's cold. It does, however, provide me with a frustrating initial goal :)
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

The oak can get a bit raspy at the hight end. You might want to check out some areas of this web site on the subject of tweaking, especially the technique of putting blue tack at the back of the airway.
Short bio: 1952-
markbell
antispam: No

Post by markbell »

Welcome, Egg!

I started on a Clare that my late, sainted father-in-law brought me from Ireland in 1987. Whistles are much more portable than trombones! (I keep a Tony Dixon in the visor of my car).

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

Greetings! And may we become water brothers in the pool of WhOA. A few more weeks of squeeking and squaking and waiting shall be filled. You will know utter happiness once you Grok whistle playing.

I hope your username is a reference to "Stranger in a Strange Land" otherwise I'm just looking stupid here....lol
OnlyAnEgg

This Is Egg Behind A Firewall

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

It is, indeed, from Stranger! Thanks for knowing! You are, officially, the first ever to grok the nick. I've used this for...oh, two years now and no one has caught it without explanation.

As for squeeking and squawking, my first tune, Tell Me Ma, is starting to sound fair, if slow. In fact, I have even put an ornament or two in it as of last night :)
Louigi Verona

Post by Louigi Verona »

I've been playing whistle for 1 day now and my neighbors are now utterly provoked.
Sometimes I think this is the biggest problem in learning the whistle - to find a place to play.
"If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything."
Doc Emmet Brown.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Welcome to the forum, OnlyAnEgg. I thought a trombone player would have to control his or her breath. Maybe you just have to blow hard all the time. I don't know. I've not gotten far on the whistle, but controlling the airflow was definitely a new thing for me. It sounds as though if you have a tune sounding even fair at this point that you are doing very well.

I looked up the motto in your avatar. I like it!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
OnlyAnEgg

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

Cynth wrote:Welcome to the forum, OnlyAnEgg. I thought a trombone player would have to control his or her breath. Maybe you just have to blow hard all the time. I don't know. I've not gotten far on the whistle, but controlling the airflow was definitely a new thing for me. It sounds as though if you have a tune sounding even fair at this point that you are doing very well.

I looked up the motto in your avatar. I like it!
Well, yes and no, Cynth. While I did control my breathing, it was over the range of loud to very very loud. It takes considerably more to wind a horn than a whistle :) So, I suppose I meant contolling my breath at a low level. Today was an improvement over yesterday as I seemed to keep the bottom in me whistle after warming it up.

As for our motto...heh, I really did mean to start playing sooner.

Edit: And, I almost forgot...I ordered 2 Clarkes today! A Celtic D and a Trad in C :) Now, if I only had two more mouths...umm, and four more hands, too, I guess.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

OnlyAnEgg wrote:

Edit: And, I almost forgot...I ordered 2 Clarkes today! A Celtic D and a Trad in C :) Now, if I only had two more mouths...umm, and four more hands, too, I guess.
And so it begins.... :lol:

Early treatment of Whistle obsessive Aquistion Disorder (WhOA!) can prevent taking up Irish flute and Uilleann pipes. Seek assistance from a qualified professional.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
OnlyAnEgg

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

Doc Jones wrote:Early treatment of Whistle obsessive Aquistion Disorder (WhOA!) can prevent taking up Irish flute and Uilleann pipes. Seek assistance from a qualified professional.

Doc
I'm not THAT bad...I only ordered a practice chanter, too
Helloooooo, Chieftans!

Helloooooo, Brak!
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

OnlyAnEgg wrote:
Doc Jones wrote:Early treatment of Whistle obsessive Aquistion Disorder (WhOA!) can prevent taking up Irish flute and Uilleann pipes. Seek assistance from a qualified professional.

Doc
I'm not THAT bad...I only ordered a practice chanter, too
oh man, you already on the beginning of the slippery slope that starts with an innocent pennywhistle and leads to the dark realm of uilleanns, flutes and *shudder* GHBs.... "if we're gonna go to H*** we might as well enjoy the ride" (Alice Cooper). I would assume the practice chanter is for the GHBs, cause the best practice chanter for uilleanns is a D whistle.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
OnlyAnEgg

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

Yes...it's for GHB. I am, after all, Scottish after a couple generations. I have a great affinity for the Irish, though...same oppressors and all.

The chanter is only a tentative step. The whistle is fun and whimsical. The pipes...well, they're formidable and frightening. Since I live in an apartment at the moment, I will not likely get more than the chanter :)
Helloooooo, Chieftans!

Helloooooo, Brak!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

OnlyAnEgg wrote:Yes...it's for GHB. I am, after all, Scottish after a couple generations. I have a great affinity for the Irish, though...same oppressors and all.

The chanter is only a tentative step. The whistle is fun and whimsical. The pipes...well, they're formidable and frightening. Since I live in an apartment at the moment, I will not likely get more than the chanter :)
Have you considered something like this?

http://www.songsea.com/electronic.html
http://electronicbagpipes.united.net.kg/

I'd love to actually hear from someone who's played one of these - I find the whole concept a bit weird. But then again, I'm a flute and whistle player - I can practice quietly enough not to goad the neighbors to a killing rage. :twisted: