Other instruments (Don't throw things at me please!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nyghtshayde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Other instruments (Don't throw things at me please!)

Post by Nyghtshayde »

Hi! :)
Long time no post! Yah?

(I moved, from Connecticut, to New york... Did alot of stuff there, worked, and moved back to Connecticut last month... thats my story and I'm stickin to it!)

I've even found my whistles! Yay! Now I'm relearning everything I learned before. -grin-

But.. here's my question....

I've been fascinated by Shawms.... (And Rackets! Those are so neat!) The ones I've found have been astronomical in price however.

For those of you more in the know than I, are there instruments that are more affordable to a beginner? Something that sounds similar?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Missing: One short term memory retention device, If found, please ... ... ... Look! Woodwinds!
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Clarke Originals.
Nyghtshayde

Post by Nyghtshayde »

Noooo they arent -THAT- Buzzy..... Are they?

Missing: One short term memory retention device, If found, please ... ... ... Look! Woodwinds!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

My bad, I read that as Shaws not Shawms. My Black Diamond is pretty Reedy sounding, so is my Sweetheart Pro.
a.mellifera

Post by a.mellifera »

You can find ethnic shawms, such as shanais, quite inexpensively at someplace like Lark in the Morning. You could also try Bombarde, and stay within the "Celtic" genre. These are also available at Lark in the Morning. I've seen them on ebay, too, but I have no idea of the quality those might be.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

Those cheap ones are made in Pakistan and will cause more trouble than fun playing time.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

You could try one of these

Plenty buzzy. Not nearly as loud as a bombard though[/list]
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

http://irishflutestore.com/Hornpipe.html

Doc is great to work with too, if you did not already know.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I’ve always like kazoos, myself. Would adding a merliton, basically an extra hole to a whistle with a kazoo style membrane, give it a buzzier tone without messing up its intonation? I would guess it would best be placed between the fipple and the fingering holes. Being frugal and a tinkerer, I would try my hand at making my own woodwinds my self.

Rod
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Also try Hobgoblin USA and Keilsheck sites(not sure of spelling here search under Susato if its wrong)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Jon C. (a flutemaker who posts to the Flute Forum here) makes an
"Irish Oboe", which might be more affordable. They cost 250 British
Pounds last I asked, and had a waiting list. Here's the site:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/calmontmusic/irishoboe.html
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hiya Nyghtshayde,

Don't be put-off. There are other enthusiasts of the double-reed about.

The Shawm is a natural precursor to every bagpipe - including the revered Uilleann pipes! Indeed, the very begrudged pakistani bombarde is much maligned and can be brought under control by a carefully crafted reed!

I am bound, one of these days, to explore the "Piston" which, suposedly is a bombarde in the key of D (incidently also the base key of the double-reeded orchestral oboe!).

the bore and slope of the bombarde is what gives it its open-sounding tone - that and the dimensions of the reed.

It has been said that the mighty and arcane tube dedicated to reed instruments (at many hundreds of dollars) are no more than fittings for the $2 reed. Alas it is true from oboe to bagpipe - retro-fitting a reed is a hard slope. My $20 Turkish Zurna is acompanied by a box of grass-clippings (river reeds) that I must learn to burn just-so with a lighted cigarette before I can bind them to the staple!.

Persist, endure! you will find the end!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Early Music Shop ( http://www.e-m-s.com/ ) has reasonably priced kits. The rackett is pre-drilled, pretty much all you have to do is glue it together, finish it and put the bocal on. It appears as though they're doing some construction on their web page; the racketts aren't on the price list. Last I knew the kits were about 300-350 pounds. I've always loved the idea of a desktop bassoon. They have kits for shawms, crumhorns, etc, too.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nyghtshayde

Post by Nyghtshayde »

Thank you all for the information!

The reason I ask is because I've just become fascinated with historical woodwinds.... I love the tinwhistle, don't get me wrong :) I'm just looking to branch out a little bit. (That, and my husband winces anytime I play my whistle, unless its my Bb)

Theres a specific sound that I'm searching for, and I -think- the Shawm is what creates it, although I just am not quite sure. I'm also looking into the rauschepfife, trying to find sound clips of it, as I've heard this might be what I'm looking for....

I'll take a look at those sites and see what they've got. Thanks again!!!!!! :)

Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have a shawm tucked away in an old case, fruitwood, two keys if I remember well. Ready to go, price probably in the 300 euro range. Sound approaches the crumhorn (using the saem make plastic reed)