Other instruments (Don't throw things at me please!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Nyghtshayde wrote: my husband winces anytime I play my whistle, unless its my Bb)

Theres a specific sound that I'm searching for, and I -think- the Shawm is what creates it, :)
But if your husband has adverse reactions to your whistles............ :-?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

IDAwHOa wrote:
Nyghtshayde wrote: my husband winces anytime I play my whistle, unless its my Bb)

Theres a specific sound that I'm searching for, and I -think- the Shawm is what creates it, :)
But if your husband has adverse reactions to your whistles............ :-?
I was thinking the same thing. Aren't "bombarde" and "rackett" the origens of the terms "bombard" and "racket"? Actually, you might get a really interesting result if you used a trumpet mute with it.
Check out: Folding@Home!
Nyghtshayde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Nyghtshayde »

It's not that I'm playing that makes him wince, its just because most of my whistles (excepting the Bb) are too shrill and bright...

He's a musician, its not really the volume that bothers him.

I don't think I'm going to be in the market for a Racket, its hard to even find a soundclip of the instruments I'm looking at :(

Aha, the sound I'm looking for is seemingly an A-Shawm or C, Something with that classic, slightly buzzy Renaissance sound. I'm mostly reluctant to buy a kit, as if -I- screw it up, thats quite a bit of cash down the drain... and unfortunately its looking like I'm going to be shelling out 300.00 or more on an instrument I'm not sure I'll be able to play.

Just slightly daunting :(

Thank you for all the great input though, I really appreciate it :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Missing: One short term memory retention device, If found, please ... ... ... Look! Woodwinds!
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

It occurred to me that some of the most inexpensive double-reed instruments available are the various bagpipe practice chanters.

Rod
olebanjo

Post by olebanjo »

Try the recorder, or the pipes :D
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I tried it out - plays quite nicely, and the seller's a good bloke.

http://brassandwoodwind.ca/MoeckB38Rackett.html
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Chiffed wrote:I tried it out - plays quite nicely, and the seller's a good bloke.

I remember seeing a lot of those things kicking around on my college campus, so many years ago...... Is that what gets people started playing the pipes? :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

crookedtune wrote:
Chiffed wrote:I tried it out - plays quite nicely, and the seller's a good bloke.

I remember seeing a lot of those things kicking around on my college campus, so many years ago...... Is that what gets people started playing the pipes? :lol:
I believe you were mistaken...those were pipes. :D
Nyghtshayde

Post by Nyghtshayde »

Ahh... Do practice chanters sounds like the shawm though?
Any idea where I could hear a sample?

the chanters I've seen here and there seem to all be plastic... is that normal?

On another note... OOOOHHH that is one pretty little instrument.... I just think those look so neat :)

Missing: One short term memory retention device, If found, please ... ... ... Look! Woodwinds!
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Nyghtshayde wrote:Ahh... Do practice chanters sounds like the shawm though?
Any idea where I could hear a sample?

the chanters I've seen here and there seem to all be plastic... is that normal?
I have not really heard a shawm except on a cd with Organ,Bagpipes and Flute, so it was hard to tell the shawm sound. I have my doubts that the practice chanter would sound like a shawm though. They are usually difficult to get sounding good and really are a practice tool for the real thing. I have a blackwood Robertson practice chanter that sounds okay, but drives the wife nuts when I do the practice thing - mainly because of the nasal sound. There is not a whole lot of difference in the plastic sound. If you really want a sound clip, I can set one up for you, but remember of course that the fingering is for GHB. That said however, I heard a "Chris Terry" blackwood fullsize practice chanter sound and it is definately a better sounding instrument. If you want the shawm sound my advise is to get the shawm.
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
barbuck

Post by barbuck »

Nyghtshayde wrote: Theres a specific sound that I'm searching for, and I -think- the Shawm is what creates it, although I just am not quite sure. I'm also looking into the rauschepfife, trying to find sound clips of it, as I've heard this might be what I'm looking for....
Have you listened to any Blackmore's Night? Candace Night plays both those instruments, and they play the type of music you mentioned liking...

Bruce
BAR
Nyghtshayde

Post by Nyghtshayde »

Yes! :) Actually I'm trying to figure out which song has the rauschepfife in it.

If you've heard any corvus Corax, I know they play shawms as well, which is what started me searching for them.

barbuck

Post by barbuck »

I would recommend their Castles & Dreams DVD. It's a double DVD for not much more than what a single CD costs. Live show, LOTS of songs, and LOTS of extras. You can see what she's playing on each song & what it sounds like. As I recall, she plays rauschpfeife more than shawm in this concert. Added bonus of The Geyers joining them for a few songs!

Bruce
BAR