bombarde anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nonagon

bombarde anyone?

Post by nonagon »

does any of you know whether the breton bombarde has the same fingering as the whistle?
and, while we're at it, can it be played in any way other than loud or louder? I do not react well to noise, yet I react extremely well to breton music (Stivell, tri-Yann, Prigent, Cabestan etc.)

cheers
Ma 'vefes ket bet mezv-dall derc'h, 'vefes ket o klemm gant an droug blev hiziv
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Yes and no.

Yes The Bombarde has the same fingering as a whistle, however, there are usually 1, sometimes 2 keys for a lower A and G (if the bombarde is in Bb) - These keys are important because it is extremely difficult to get the top 3 notes in the second Octave.

No - great sound, but very very loud - a softer reed can reduce the noise a bit. My Pakistani bombarde has a narrower bore which makes it a bit quieter, but I had Ian McKenzie make some extra reeds for me - he has a very nice french-made bombarde - it cannot be played indoors without ear-plugs.

There is another bombarde/shawm type instrument called the Piston - it is in D. Maybe worth investigating.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

I play a high D bombarde made by Comac. Loud as all get out. Same fingering as a whistle with an extra low c# hole. No keys on this one because it's small.

It's kind of like a cross between a mosquito and Spinal Tap (all the way up to 11). It is quieter (relatively, still loud enough to wake the recently deceased) with a softer reed. It's much quieter with a GHB plastic practice chanter reed but so out of tune it's not worth it. I don't get to play it much anymore as the wife has threatened to insert it into a certain body cavity should she be subjected to it again. Ah well.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
lenf

Post by lenf »

I'm curious...

I was looking at a site recently with lots of info on the bombarde. Several times the site posted in bold cap letters THE BOMBARDE IS NOT A SOLO INSTRUMENT, or at least the effect was the same.

Why? And if the thing is as loud as the notes here suggest, what in the world could play in consort with it... a fog horn?? ;-)
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

And if the thing is as loud as the notes here suggest, what in the world could play in consort with it... a fog horn??
The fog horn is frowned upon by 'pure drop' players. The traditional duet is with the biniou kozh, a small single-drone bagpipe that plays an octave above the bombarde and plays continuously, so the bombardier can rest (they play in a call and response fashion). Bombarde is also used together with the biniou braz--basically the Breton take on Scottish Highland pipes (and no wilting violet in the volume department) to form bagadou--Breton pipe bands. The effect of a band of 40 musicians playing bombardes and pipes and drums is one of the most visceral experiences possible on earth.
Last edited by tin tin on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nonagon

Post by nonagon »

lenf wrote: THE BOMBARDE IS NOT A SOLO INSTRUMENT
what?
where?
why?
who, in his or her right mind, would make such decleration?
I reckon it means never play the bombarde when you are alone as you may need immediate assistance should your eardrum rupture. kinda like the warnings on hazardous material products.
Ma 'vefes ket bet mezv-dall derc'h, 'vefes ket o klemm gant an droug blev hiziv
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

The traditional duet is with the biniou kozh, a small single-drone bagpipe that plays an octave above the bombarde and plays continuously, so the bombardier can rest (they play in a call and response fashion).
The binou kozh also has a way of making the bombarde sound sweet and mellow by comparison.

I had a bombarde for a while, but it worried my cats so much that I never played it. It didn't seem to cause them discomfort so much as concern -- they'd come running into my music room meowing anxiously, evidently to make sure I was ok.
lenf

Post by lenf »

Re: Bombarde as solo instrument, the site was still in my browser history...

http://texcelt.org/BombardeFAQ.html

"But, obviously, to do this you must first have a highland piper to play Breton tunes with. The bombarde is not a "solo" instrument."

From the notes here, I'm kinda leaning to the "Misery loves company" theory. :-)
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

I’m guessing that it’s not uncommon for bombardiers to bombard with a bombarde.
Check out: Folding@Home!
Summicron

Use chanter as bombarde?

Post by Summicron »

I wonder if you could take off the top of the bag pipe chanter, exposing its reed, and this would approximate the sound of the bombarde? I have seen others put their lips at the reed base, and sound will come out.

Anyone tried this?
madrone

Re: bombarde anyone?

Post by madrone »

[ Thread revival. - Mod ]

Someone who plays the bombarde is called a talabarderien. A talabarderien never plays alone because he/she must have regular breathing pauses. It takes a lot, lot more breath than a whistle. A talabarderien can play in sequence with another talabarderien, where they alternate times of play. Or, s/he can play accompanied by a bagpipe player: most commonly now, Highland bagpipes; traditionally, a biniou koz. Today in Brittany, the biniou koz is not found so much as the Highland bagpipes. Like bagpipes, the bombarde is not an indoor instrument. The valleys in Brittany are not like the valleys in Scotland, but the sound of the bombarde accompanied by bagpipes is beautiful as it resonates in the valleys.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: bombarde anyone?

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

madrone wrote:[ Thread revival. - Mod ]

Someone who plays the bombarde is called a talabarderien. A talabarderien never plays alone because he/she must have regular breathing pauses. It takes a lot, lot more breath than a whistle. A talabarderien can play in sequence with another talabarderien, where they alternate times of play. Or, s/he can play accompanied by a bagpipe player: most commonly now, Highland bagpipes; traditionally, a biniou koz. Today in Brittany, the biniou koz is not found so much as the Highland bagpipes. Like bagpipes, the bombarde is not an indoor instrument. The valleys in Brittany are not like the valleys in Scotland, but the sound of the bombarde accompanied by bagpipes is beautiful as it resonates in the valleys.
Effect of bombarde being played in the valley of Dien Bien Phu noted in some French novel I read years ago, though IIRC the author was less complimentary than we would be.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar