I'm going to Ireland!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Yup...I sold a guitar and I'm splurging on almost two weeks in Ireland. Yay!! I'm hoping to visit all the whistle and flute makers I can find. I'm going from Dublin to Galway to Clare to Kerry to Cork to a few places and then Wicklow to Dublin again. There might be some more places added at different times. I'll rent a car. I'm excited. Anyone have any suggestions or live there and want to meet me?

:smile: Jessie
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

"I sold a guitar and I'm splurging on almost two weeks in Ireland"

That must have been one heck of a guitar!
croberts

Post by croberts »

My wife and I went a couple of years ago for a week. It was great!

1) Fish and chips...the chips are what is called french fries in the USA.
2) Guinness goes well with the above.
3) Drive on the left side of the road and learn what round-abouts are all about before you drive.
4 Don't but a whistle!! I bought a Feadog while I was there (didn't know what a whistle was at the time) and it has cost me hundreds of dollars....well, I guess you know all about that.

Have a great trip!
Chris Roberts
jmssmh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmssmh »

Two places I loved were Adare (outside Limerick) and Dingle.

Joe
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Thanks for the suggestions! I know about roundabouts and such from traveling in England. I have a funny story about roundabouts and Lindt chocolate. I was 10. My mom and I laughed for what seemed like hours in the back of a car while the rental car guy tried to give my dad directions out of London, like "go to the first roundabout and get off at the first left, then go to the second roundabout and get off at the first left, then go to the third roundabout and get off at the second left," to which my dad would reply, "one more time?" Well, my mom and I stuffed our faces with Lindt choclates so as not to laugh rudely. :smile:

The guitar was a 1953 Gibson J-185 that had belonged to Carly Simon.

jgrogers

Post by jgrogers »

Jessie,
If you're going near Ballyshannon in Donnegal county, I can recommend a very nice B&B with a very musical host family. I had a nice time playing some tunes with them while I was there.

It's Aspen B&B. Phone: 072 52065
email might be: gluke@eircom.net
John R
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

A great book for anyone here but <i>especially</i> for anyone going to Ireland:

<a href="http://www.mqup.mcgill.ca/wilson.htm">Ireland, A Bicycle, and a Tinwhistle</a>

I take it out and re-read it a couple times per year. It's great.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

The guitar was a 1953 Gibson J-185 that had belonged to Carly Simon.
That IS some guitar!
Arto_Vallivirta

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

Hooray! I'm going to Ireland as well.
Jessie, when are you going there?
I will be in Ireland from next monday till 15th of July.

And LittleMy, your brother is now a bass player in my band. Thank you again!

/Arto
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hi Jessie and Arto,
I'm leaving for Ireland tonight and will be there until September 5. Besides Willy Clancy Summer School I have no solid plans -just a backpack, boots, tent, flute and whistle -so I'd love to meet up with both of you. I'm flying into Shannon and will be adventuring around that area for a week until Willy Week, so..... :smile: Send me an e-mail and I'll get in touch with you when I'm in Ireland. I really hope to see you both (Jessie, I'm still trying to figure out how to convince you to put me in your will as the heir to your whistle collection, and then have you mysteriously disappear, but don't let that worry you) :wink:
All the best,
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2001-06-30 10:22 ]</font>
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Rich...I LOVE that book and have read it twice...I just took it out yesterday to read again. :smile:

John...thank you, but I don't think I'm going to get to Donegal. :sad:

Arto...looks like I am going to miss you. I'll be there from July 26 to August 6.

Chris...I am so envious of you...spending a whole summer there!! You carefree young'un! I am worrying about leaving my cats for two weeks. I think I'll get a pet sitter. But I'll still feel guilty. :sad: So, Chris, yes absolutely, let's get together!! Are there internet ports in public around in Ireland?

Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Eh!

There are internet cafes almost everywhere in Ireland. I remembers using one in Galway and Ennis, but there are many others...

I'll be in Ireland from july 1st to august 7 (then I'll leave for Scotland and Spain/Portugal). If you wanna keep in touch, and maybe meet while we're there, my e-mail is:

gmetayer@ireland.com

Would be great to have a few jams!
LittleMy

Post by LittleMy »

And LittleMy, your brother is now a bass player in my band. Thank you again!
That's great! I want a recording!
~Julie
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

What part of Spain are you visiting Azalin? Be sure to see the north it is a seafood lovers heaven
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

As some will know, I live (and the new Shanna Quay 'shop' is based) in Adare, County Limerick. We'll be open for business from 20th July 2001, and if anyone is around the village at 7pm, you are most welcome to watch The current Earl of Dunraven (whose family virtually built adare several hundred years ago) officially open the store - and partake of a glass of wine and a 'bun'.

As for roundabouts, we have one at the bottom of the high street. It has been the scene of some very 'near misses', I can tell you!

Best wishes,

Steve Power

http://www.shannaquay.com