Sweetone C-nat troubles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kar »

I'm a beginning player; I've got two Sweetones (a C and D) and whenever I try the C-nat on the D (or the B-flat on the C), it sounds TERRIBLE. As is not correct. I've tried the following fingerings:
OXX OOO (the "recommended" fingering)
OXX OXO
OXO XXX

And nothing sounds right. I know almost everyone has a Sweetone and I'm wondering--is this just a function of the instrument or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? I know I could half-hole but I have a really hard time with that and am hoping there's a cross-fingering I can use. Help!
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I've never had any problem with my Sweetone D on the c-natural. Try this fingering, if you like:
OXXXOX

Good luck!
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

I've got the same problems with my Shaw D -- I need to use 0xxxx0 to get a c-natural. On my Sweetone C it isn't so bad, 0xx000 is close enough for government work, although it sounds a little sharp to me. I'm tempted to move towards half-holing for c-nat.
While I was playing I found this great free <a href="http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/16752.html" target="_blank">electronic tuner</a> which you might want to play with. The depressing thing is how far out all of my whistles are...
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I suggested this before but noone commented:
oxxoxx. I use this all the time on my Burkes and it sounds great

The roll is oxxoxx / oxxxxx/oxxoxx/xxxoxx/oxxoxx

This came from LE McCullough's old Tutor book with the white cover.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Try putting some scotch tape over about the upper fourth of the highest tone hole on the whistle. This should bring the C-natural down into pitch with the o x x | o o o fingering, without flattening C-sharp too much.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
csharpd

Post by csharpd »

I'm happy with OXX OXX for the first C on my Sweetone D, and OXX XXO for the high C.
Kar

Post by Kar »

Thanks, everyone. I've tried some of the new fingerings and they do sound a little bit better.
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

I tried the scotch tape trick, and it worked beautifully. My Sweetone is the unpainted variety, so this makes me wonder if the pitch is affected by the lack of paint.

Eric
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have one of the painted ones, and still find that I need the tape to make the "normal" c-natural fingering work.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com