Am I wearing my whistle out?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tres
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tres »

Hey, where is L.E. McCollough on this thread?

He pretty much wore out his beloved blue topped generation D I think and had to retire it (and it looks close to being worn out on his instructional video-- but it still sounded great).

Tres
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Tres wrote:Hey, where is L.E. McCollough on this thread?

He pretty much wore out his beloved blue topped generation D I think and had to retire it (and it looks close to being worn out on his instructional video-- but it still sounded great).

Tres
I think LE has other things on his mind right now.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=41642
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Feadog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pronounction of Feadóg

Post by Feadog »

This question has come up quite a bit recently and hopefully this explaination will help:

Feadóg has many pronunciations in the big bad world!! Officially Feadóg is pronounced Fah ("doh, re, me, fah, so, etc"), Doh (dough or "Doh!!" as in Homer Simpson), G (G-irl): "Fah-doh-g" and it is the Irish for "whistle".

I will post this on our site, www.feadog.ie, shortly. If you have any other questions regarding the Feadóg, please feel free to e-mail at whistles@feadog.ie and I will try my best to help!

Kind Regards
Paul
Feadóg "Original Irish Whistle"
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

WriterBryan wrote:Thanks for the info. If you think the whistle looking worn out is best is good, than that's cool. As long as the sound stays the same. You keep calling a Fadog a "Cheapy" whistle. Dang. I paid 30 bucks for it! Was I taken for a ride? It sounds wonderful and I don't regret what I paid for it at all. Maybe I just got lucky? I don't know. Do the really expensive ones sound better? I can't really imagine anything sounding better than what my whistle is already generating.

Where did you get it?

Was it a "tweeked" version?

If you only got a factory fresh one I'd say you were taken.

Even the whistle/Book/CD is under 20 bucks.

I have a brass one I tweeked a little myself.

Its nice... but it sounds different from every other one I have... save for a black chinese (well done) knock off which for obvious reasons is close.

Ive played it till its all tarnished and worn about the holes... It doesn't take long either. The varnish comes right off... but I like it that way.

I think they are near impossible to wear out... unless you "wear it out" in your back pocket while stitting down.

I almost destroyed a Sweet tone that way.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Hey WB,

As most folks have already said - you've nothing really to worry about. If it's just the lacquer/clear finish that's wearing off of the tube, you can do what I do.

In fact, it's the first thing I do when I buy a Generations or other whistle with that type of coating - I soak the head in hot water to loosen it, then when I can I remove the head - I scrub all that clear coat off of the barrel with some 0000 steel wool.

The whistle'll patina-up real nice after that, or you can polish the barrel back to a nice shine if you like.