Generation ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kkeesy

Generation ?

Post by kkeesy »

I bought two Generation D's last week.they buzz and sweak terrible.Is there a fix for them?
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

That tends to happen with Generations as their quality varies. My first Generation (a nickle plated) had a very metalic squeaky sound, but the most recent two I bought (both brass) have been great. If I were you I'd go buy some others and see how they sound
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

King Friday wrote: If I were you I'd go buy some others and see how they sound
That's kind of like telling someone who got bad food at a restaurant that they need to eat more of it.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Oh, pish. My best Generations D's, F's and Bb's are fine players, easily my best cheapies. The worst of them are still better than my Waltons, Sweetones or Clares. Opinions will vary, widely (cavernously?).

There. I did it. Sue me. Maybe they send all the good Gens to British Columbia, Canada. If, where you live, they only sell chud Gens, then I'll gladly mail you one of the B.C. ones for $65. :)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Have you tried the standard tweaks? See the C&F main page. I would suspect there's some crap in the windway that needs to be cleaned out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Swedish-Banjo

Post by Swedish-Banjo »

My first whistle was a Generation D, and I had the same problem. First I thought it had something to do with me, but then I purchased a Clarke and got it confirmed that it was the whistle itselfe (bad quality).
My advice is maby to have it tweaked, though I recomend you to get another whistle. It will save you both time, monney and frustration.
Jonas. Färjestaden. Sweden.
jlfinkels
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: How doth the little crocodile
     Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
     On every golden scale!

How cheerfully he seems to grin,
     How neatly spreads his claws,
And welcomes little fishes in,
     With gently smiling jaws!

Re: Generation ?

Post by jlfinkels »

kkeesy wrote:I bought two Generation D's last week.they buzz and sweak terrible.Is there a fix for them?
My Jerry Freeman squeaked, er, tweaked, Gen D is my current favorite whistle. If you search for his posts on tweaking he gives away all of his deepest, darkest, tweaking secrets for free. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone else, it's a secret.

I personally played around with tweaking Gen D's and others, but decided that the pittance that Jerry was asking was significantly less than the time I was investing in tweaking when I should have been playing.

Have fun whichever path you choose.

-jeff
Insanity takes its toll. Please have exact change.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

kkeesy wrote:I bought two Generation D's last week.they buzz and sweak terrible.Is there a fix for them?
Yes, practice. I never beleived this when people said it here, but I
bought a Generation just to try to convince myself, and I have. The
Generation is demanding, but once you get used to its quirks, you can
get nice sounds out of it, and the chiff is wonderful.

I think I still may tweak it a little, because the G in both octaves is
terrible... but I'm loath to mess up the sound. I suggest trying the
tweaks on this page: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html
on one of the Gens, and leaving the other alone. See if you can get
the untweaked one to sound better just with breath control. It's
surprisingly rewarding. The same thing applies to Feadogs, for me.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Buzz and squeak on a Generation may mean you are blowing with a bit too much force, particularly in the 2nd octave.

A truly bad Generation, in my experience, usually:

--won't easily (or sometimes at all) play down to the lowest D
--barely speaks when blown
--won't stay in the lower octave no matter how softly you blow.

I've had decent luck buying Gens...slightly better than half of them have been good.

--James
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The best tweak for a Generation, or any whistle, is more practice. They require breath control. This does not come quickly. Many people buy a more expensive whistle and then come back to a cheapie a year later and find it plays beautifully. I have only seen one Generation that was actually unplayable. Most are pretty good.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
riverman

Post by riverman »

I am honestly amazed at the devotion still shown to Generation whistles. They must have been really great in their heyday.
Obviously, their heyday is over.
Don't buy more Generations; try the tweak (with VERY fine sandpaper). If that doesn't work (it ALMOST worked for me) get a "whitecap" from Mack Hoover to slide right on that Generation tube. They don't cost that much.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Send me a PM or email if you would like them tweaked for free.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

An easy tweak that improves any whistle with an injection molded head is to fill the cavity under the windway with blue tack. It removes a lot of the squawkiness.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Or buy a Jerry Freeman tweaked Generation--
they really are very good, as mentioned above. And a good value too.

The Irish Flute Store has em, yes?
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks Jim, Jeff for the kind words.

For the sake of clarity, I think it might be OK for me to describe how my tweaked Generations might differ from self-tweaked whistles.

1. I've made an adjustment to the voicing so they match, as closely as possible, the voicing of the pre-1980's Generations. This is a little sweeter, smoother, less raspy than the voicing of the current Generations.

2. I've adjusted the position of the soundblade relative to the windway floor. This is one of the factors that tends to be inconsistent in some factory run whistleheads and is often the main factor that distinguishes a "good" one from a not so good one off the shelf.

3. I don't use poster putty (blu tack) or similar material under the windway.

For some reason, the geometry of a Generation whistlehead has a unique quality to the cavity under the windway (I don't find this with other brands of Generation-type whistles), such that the open cavity resonates to create a certain birdlike ring to the sound, adding character to the sound.

Poster putty dulls this effect, so I've devised an accoustically transparent material that allows the birdlike resonance, but closes the opening in place of poster putty to help stabilize the whistle's response.

Best wishes,
Jerry