Music to know

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Music to know

Post by PallasAthena »

I need ideas for good peices to learn. I like to play to amuse my friends and family, so I'm not overly worried about knowing popular session tunes. I want try to learn music that is either fun (hornpipes, jigs, etc), "pretty" (aires), or recognisable (tunes to songs), because these seem to go over best when a friend relative asks for a demonstration. At the moment, my repotoir consists of The Foggy Dew, Rakes of Mallow, The Wild Rover, The Wearing of the Green (people sometimes know this one), The Rights of Man, The Boys of Bluehill, The Strayaway Child, Loch Lomand (Scottish, I know, but people (a) like it and (b) don't realize the tinwhistle is Irish), Ye Banks and Breas of Bonny Doon (Scottish, I know), and Bonny Charlie (also Scottish).

I'd like suggestions for Traditional (Irish, Scottish, other) tunes that the average person is likely to enjoy or recognise.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I would think that most people would think that Down by the Sally Gardens is a nice one.

Off to California is fun. My daughter starts dancing around every time I play that one.

And personally, I really like Stack of Rye.

Jason
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Off She Goes is a fun Jig. How about Harvest Home for Hornpipes. Inisheer for your slower stuff.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Fanny Powers

Planxty Irwin

Si Beag Si Mor

For Ireland I Cannot Say Her Name

(cough) Danny Boy

Amazing Grace
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

My current fave is Planxty Dale Wisely.

Others with a high fun/work ratio:
The Leaving of Liverpool (song)
Slow Barn Dance (from the BBC session)
Spootdiskerry (simple fun reel)
Ned of the Hill (great air, goes well with Rights of Man)
Red Is The Rose :)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
CRC

Post by CRC »

My current fave is Planxty Dale Wisely.
One of my favorites too at the present. :D
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

go to,
http://www.tinwhistler.com/songname.asp
http://www.thesession.org/
http://www.hslc.org/~gormley/tunes/giftunes.html
all the inspiration u will need for a couple of years,
have fun,
Regards David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
monkey

Post by monkey »

Scarborough fayre
Greensleeves
Skye boat song

i'm trying to learn Film and TV themes like the pink panther & monkey magic too. just for the fun of playing them really. :D
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Si Beag Si Mor - duh, why didn't I think of that one - one of my favorites.

Also, Planxty Hewlett.

Jason
falkbeer

Re: Music to know

Post by falkbeer »

PallasAthena wrote:I need ideas for good peices to learn. I like to play to amuse my friends and family, so I'm not overly worried about knowing popular session tunes. I want try to learn music that is either fun (hornpipes, jigs, etc), "pretty" (aires), or recognisable (tunes to songs), because these seem to go over best when a friend relative asks for a demonstration. At the moment, my repotoir consists of The Foggy Dew, Rakes of Mallow, The Wild Rover, The Wearing of the Green (people sometimes know this one), The Rights of Man, The Boys of Bluehill, The Strayaway Child, Loch Lomand (Scottish, I know, but people (a) like it and (b) don't realize the tinwhistle is Irish), Ye Banks and Breas of Bonny Doon (Scottish, I know), and Bonny Charlie (also Scottish).

I'd like suggestions for Traditional (Irish, Scottish, other) tunes that the average person is likely to enjoy or recognise.
Check out O´Carolan tunes - fun and easy to play and lovely to listen to!
Most people who don´t know very much about irish music use to like his tunes!

Some other suggestions: Danny Ab´s slide, Bill Collins (jig), Taimse im Chodladh (air), Those endearing young charms (air), The gentle maiden (air), Women of ireland (air), The scartaglen polka, The cameronian reel, Lannigan´s ball/The kerry dance (as played by James Galway on Legends), The Liverpool Hornpipe.

Good luck with your practising!

/Falkbeer
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

A crowd pleasing jig: The Road to Lisdoonvarna
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

The Swallowtail Jig seems to be one that is easily recognizable, and also fun to play.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

knowing happy birthday comes in handy
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Just wondering, why look specifically for Irish if you want something that people recognize? You seem partial to Scottish, and have picked some lovely tunes there. There are a whole slew of very recognizable English and American tunes, including hymns and lullabys that are very recognizable, and might even encourage one of your audience to sing or hum along. My mother, who doesn't much care for whistle because its high pitched, warmed to it when I played a Yiddish folk tune.

We tend to get wrapped up in the Irish music on this site, but it is not the only music that can sound wonderful on a whistle.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I'm interested in pretty much anything--Irish and Scottish being my preferences along with Galacian music when I can find it. Personally, I like playing hornpipes and reels, but they can sound repetitive if you don't have an interest in traditional music. The advantage to song tunes is people recognise them and generally, to the unfamiliar, each will sound more unique. The advantage to dance tunes, however, is that it's harder to hear when I screw up. :wink: