How do you carry your whistles from place to place?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How do you carry whistles?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:33 pm

Each in the case they came from
6%
Stuff 'em in anything convenient
16%
One of the above, but I'd like to get a multi-whistle case
14%
I have a specialized bag for my whistles
45%
Some other way
18%

Total votes: 49

PhiloStraw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do you carry your whistles from place to place?

Post by PhiloStraw »

The first time I met someone who played the whistle, she carried her 4 or 5 high-octave models sticking out the top of her purse. I wanted to treat my whistles a little better than that.

I ended up having a friend sew me up a hand-made case for my growing collection, based off some pictures we found of cases at BigWhistle. I really like it. I should be able to hold about 20 to 30 in it once I get that many (someday...).

I was curious ... how do you transport your whistles to sessions and such? Would any of you be interested if she made some more cases (I'll try to post some pictures if there is interest)?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I roll them up in a baby blanket and secure with a shoestring. Works great. Costs next to nothing. Blankets come with all sorts of designs, so looks interesting. For single whistles a hankercheif works well. Cloth has an advantage over hard cases in that the moisture can escape.

For hard storage, I use poster tubes.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

The two-part whistles are disassembled, wrapped in cloth, and put in a zippered cloth bag I have -- nothing fancy. The one-pieces get wrapped in a cloth and stuffed into my mandolin case, if they travel at all.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
PhiloStraw

Post by PhiloStraw »

I used a wash towel and a rubber band at first. The only thing was that I found I klinked them together more than I liked when I unrolled the towel.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I got the deluxe padded multi-whistle bag from theWhistleShop.com (I believe it's a drummers gig bag) and it works okay. I like the fact that it has a shoulder strap so that I can carry my bodhran and other stuff with me as well.

Before that I used a hankerchief.

I currently have no convenient way to transport my low whistles though. My Chieftain D has the hard case that Phil sent it in but I don't like that because it's a snug fit and the smooth finish gets scratched and worn after being pulled in and out so much... plus it traps the moisture in. I've made plans to create my own soft transporter for all my whistles but haven't had the time to do it yet.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I started with big wool socks (clean) and then went to a series of cases including some drum stick cases. Then Annie made for me the ultimate whistle case and I shall never look at another...

Philo

PS - I'm looking into some sort of trade mark infringement thing with that moniker buddy... :)
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

PhilO wrote:PS - I'm looking into some sort of trade mark infringement thing with that moniker buddy... :)
Heh. At least he didn't use "PhiloSteen".

I carry my Busman whistles in the nice little fleece pouches Paul ships them in. For the Greenwood whistle, I use a very nice SassySack Single made by C&F's own anniemcu.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
PhiloStraw

Post by PhiloStraw »

PhilO wrote: PS - I'm looking into some sort of trade mark infringement thing with that moniker buddy... :)
Oh, so you're the one that already had Philo. Oh well ... so much for me being original... :)
PhiloStraw

Post by PhiloStraw »

So, who's Annie? I guess I haven't been around long enough to know. Annie, are you the official whistle case gal? :)
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

My first set of whistles beyond my fisrt Walton was a 8 key set of O'Brien's which came with a cool carrier. After that I grabbed a bag from Colin and Brigitte Goldie. The case they sell I thought was really good and could hold alot of whistle both small and even up to the low C. So to answer the question I got a "whistle bag" as soon as I had more whistles than my first carrier could manage...

WTA
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

My wife made me a roll out of some quilted type material. Enough space for 4 - 5 whistles, which is more than enough for a session.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

PhiloStraw wrote:So, who's Annie? I guess I haven't been around long enough to know. Annie, are you the official whistle case gal? :)
anniemcu is her screen name. Here's her site:

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/sassafrassg ... /main.html

Her whistle rolls are gorgeous! I'm dying to get one :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
PhiloStraw

Post by PhiloStraw »

izzarina wrote:Her whistle rolls are gorgeous! I'm dying to get one :)
I agree. Pretty nice!
deeor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Down my sock

Post by deeor »

Only one whistle is needed at a traditional session. :) Easy to make a quick exit when a traditional fight breaks out :lol:
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Pistol case.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up