After a sweetone what's a good new whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
monkey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

After a sweetone what's a good new whistle

Post by monkey »

Ok, I have been playing for two months now and I'm quite pleased how my playing's coming along :)

Just wondering what is a good whistle to move upto next? I like the feel & sound of the sweetone, the Breathy flutey sound is nice.

Definetely NOT too loud a whistle as I have hyperacousis and anything too loud is painful. :cry:

Any recommendations? my budget is around £20 or I guess that's about $40?
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Monkey, use the 'search' feature to look up 'quiet whistles'. There was a thread a while back that should help you. It discusses Clarkes, Dixons, Hoovers and a few more that might suit you.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Abell, Alba, Avery LBW, Busman, Copeland, Overton, Sindt, Greewood are very nice whistles in alphabetical order.
Last edited by Tommy on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Try a Freeman Tweaked whistle. He even does Sweetones, too.

You can find his stuff at a number of sites.

www.thewhistleshop.com
www.gaeliccrossings.com
www.whistleanddrum.com

And more
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Right, I omitted names like Abell, Alba, Busman, Copeland, etc., because it sounded like a quiet whistle was the objective. The thread I referenced named a few in that category.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Do yourself a flavor and get some Musician's earplugs
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Tommy wrote:Avery LBW.
Thanks for the recommendation, Tommy. I only sell them direct.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Unseen122 wrote:
Tommy wrote:Avery LBW.
Thanks for the recommendation, Tommy. I only sell them direct.
What he described as flutey and not to loud reminded me of the Avery LBW when I had it on tour. It is very pure and flute like. And resonable price for the amount of work done. The other whistles I mentioned also have those attributes but a bit more volume.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I personally think that the very best 'move up' whistle from the cheapies is a Freeman Mellow Dog. It's an easy player, it's not too loud, but has a strong bottom. Then ask him for the C tube with it and you have a set.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
lisdoonvarna

Sounds like you like your whistle

Post by lisdoonvarna »

It sounds like you like the Sweetone.

I have to confess I really like that whistle and its the one I'm using now. Are you sure you need to buy a different one? I own a Clark, Dixon, Shaw, Feadog and the Sweetone and I like things about each of them. For me the Sweetone never clogs, is in tune wtih itself, cuts through noise yet its airy and sweet, its inexpensive, it doesn't take a lot of air. I'm not crazy about the colored ones so I have a silver one and a black one. It has the tapered design which I like the feel of. You can also lean into them a bit without squawks and screeches.

Just some things to consider.
Lisdoonvarna
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
riverman

Post by riverman »

Definitely check out Hoover with his whitecaps or newer black delrin mouthpieces. It's in your pricerange, and a whitecap mated to a cheapie tube ia a BIG improvement over factory cheapies! I have a whitecap on a Feadog body--it's quiet with a bit of the Feadog huskiness left over.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
monkey

Re: Sounds like you like your whistle

Post by monkey »

lisdoonvarna wrote:It sounds like you like the Sweetone.

I have to confess I really like that whistle and its the one I'm using now. Are you sure you need to buy a different one? I own a Clark, Dixon, Shaw, Feadog and the Sweetone and I like things about each of them. For me the Sweetone never clogs, is in tune wtih itself, cuts through noise yet its airy and sweet, its inexpensive, it doesn't take a lot of air. I'm not crazy about the colored ones so I have a silver one and a black one. It has the tapered design which I like the feel of. You can also lean into them a bit without squawks and screeches.

Just some things to consider.
Lisdoonvarna

Hmm... maybe you're right, I could be looking to change just for the sake of change.

I'd like to get a silver/metal finish sweetone, but the music shop here never has them in that colour, you'd think that the country they are made in in would have lots of them wouldn't you ! I'll have to go down to London i suppose.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

If I may, I'd like to bring to your attention something about the natural metal finished sweetone. My cousin owned one and it looked awful after playing it for a few weeks. The "natural" finish wears very quickly around the toneholes and ends up looking like a 30 yr old tarnished whistle. It is a silver-looking paint on a dull metal, not an unfinished whistle. So once the paint wore off in those spots and exposed the metal it was quite a contrast. If you want that look then go for it but most people like a sharp looking whistle so I thought I'd warn ya in advance.