WhOA, please help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheKingPrawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WhOA, please help

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I currently have a Feadog D, Susato D's (high and low) and I want another whistle(s). I will eventually get a wood whistle, but right now I'm looking for something with a purer tone like the Feadog but with the playability of the Susato. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of trying several: Sweetone, Generation, etc... and maybe Syn if the wife doesn't find out how much I'm willing to spend.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Overton. :D

But seriously, a few modest tweaks and the Sweetone has wonderful tone.

Clarke Originals have great tone, but they're a bit quiet.
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

Quiet isn't such a bad idea, the Susato gives my wife a headache. It probably doesn't help that I usually play sitting next to her in the office where I have access to Wanderer's site.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

You might check out a Dixon. The non-tunable is still under 20 bucks, and it's softer than a Susato. I played nothing but Dixons for four years, and although I'm starting to mix in a Susato now and again, I still play the Dixons when I'm inside at home because it makes life easier with the family. I save the Susatos for outside and when I'm in hotel rooms where I don't really give a damn what the neighbors think.

You should be able to search here on Dixon and find tons of comments about both the whistle and the maker.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I currently have a Feadog, Generation, Oak, and Sweetone. I'm still new to playing, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't necessarily call the sound of the Feadog pure.

If you're looking for a cheapie that's on the quiet side and pure-sounding, my recommendation would be the Oak. It fits that description, but still has a nice poppy chiff.

One potential downside of the Oak for some is the breath control required. I'm still getting used to it. It takes very little breath, and it's easy to overblow, which delivers extra noise.

The Generation sounds similar to the Feadog, but slightly purer and quieter. I also find it easier to play than the Feadog, with fewer idiosyncracies.

The Sweetone has a very different tone. It's more breathy. It's also pretty easy to play in both octaves.

If you can, I'd recommend getting a few since they're cheap. The Gen and Sweetone will only run $5-$6 each (or get a Meg for $3), and the Oak is still not bad at around $10. Getting a few more also justifies the shipping charge.

Hope that helps,
Jason
pop

Post by pop »

I Found the meg to be the most irritating peice of doo doo imaginable thats why it is so cheap probably.Like me your new to playing and when i first got the faedog it sounded absolute pants,i now love the sound and it has changed beyond recognition due to it getting played in i think, and my improvement.I have generation as well and love them.The noise thing puzzled me i have noticed that my playing is a lot quieter now than it was and i think its because i now know the breath requirements needed instinctivley on current whistle.Listen i know nothing but i think common sense tells me to stick with one whistle i like the sound of and is proven and get to know it inside out,for me its been an ever changing instrument.My goal is to get a whistle i like in each key and get to know them.I got a clarke c original and love that as well they are definetely worth a look.Probably later on i will get higher end whistles when im more experienced.good luck in your choice.
Mind you i am ordering the Bb c d susato set tomorrow just to give plastic a look :lol:
J.MC
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I really like how intense the tone of my Susato is, and it's really loud, but the Feadog just sounds more traditional. It takes serious concetration (which I'm short on) to keep the Susato from sounding too plasticy. I pull it off sometimes and amaze myself, but it's not that often. I'll probably get a couple or three different whistles from one place so the shipping is a little more reasonable. I can't imagine paying $3-$5 each for shipping on $5-$10 whistles. Where is a good place to look online for whistle since my local music store doesn't carry any and I refuse to subject myself to Seattle just to go to Shark in AM?
pop

Post by pop »

Just a final thought about whoa i recently bought a chieftan F for 100 quid dont get me wrong great whistle sounds lovely but the whistle i realy love playing is a gen Bb i dont know if its the key or the whistle that does it for me but it absolutely sings,and it cost 4 quid.

edit[hob goblin is good and big whistle is good im not sure if they have US outlets do a search. but shipping from uk would be no prob both reputable]
Last edited by pop on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.MC
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

pop wrote:Just a final thought about whoa i recently bought a chieftan F for 100 quid dont get me wrong great whistle sounds lovely but the whistle i realy love playing is a gen Bb i dont know if its the key or the whistle that does it for me but it absolutely sings,and it cost 4 quid.
I think the Gen Bb is terrific. Oddly, I've not experience the variations in quality that are legendary among the D's.

Dale
pop

Post by pop »

Dale wrote:
pop wrote:Just a final thought about whoa i recently bought a chieftan F for 100 quid dont get me wrong great whistle sounds lovely but the whistle i realy love playing is a gen Bb i dont know if its the key or the whistle that does it for me but it absolutely sings,and it cost 4 quid.
I think the Gen Bb is terrific. Oddly, I've not experience the variations in quality that are legendary among the D's.

Dale
I love it and am going to guard it with my life in case the variation thing is true :)
J.MC
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

So far I've ordered all my whistles from http://www.thewhistleshop.com and have bee happy with the selection and service. I don't know about your area, but shipping runs a minimum of $6 from there to here (TX).

Just go through their inexpensive whistles and see what they have. I then went to Clips & Snips ( http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/index.htm ) to see if there were tunes played on the ones I was interested in. You can also check here on the forum and Wanderer's website ( http://www.tinwhistler.com/ ) for reviews.

So far, I have those I listed above, a Walton C, and a Gen Bb (which I like as well).

I'm supposed to get another package from The Whistle Shop tomorrow with another Oak D, an Oak C, Gen C, Gen G, and Clarke Original in C.

I think that will just about finish up my cheapie collection. :)

Jason
jaime!

Post by jaime! »

Dale wrote:

Dale
just a few days ago, i actually had the experience of playing the worst/crappiest/most non-functional whistle of my life.
it was a generation Bb. half of the notes sounded like a raspy and dying old woman whispering. and the other half was just plain out of tune and bad.

but the little generation F that i played one second later... ooh. that could have been the best whistle i've played.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

TheKingPrawn wrote:Where is a good place to look online for whistle since my local music store doesn't carry any and I refuse to subject myself to Seattle just to go to Shark in AM?
You didn't click that Dixon link in my earlier post, did you? It goes straight to The Whistle Shop.

You're right about shipping costs encouraging additional purchases. Shipping for one whistle to my house is $6.57; shipping 2 to 6 whistles is only $7.05. It's like giving a drug addict a volume discount.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
jaime!

Post by jaime! »

also, the dixon is nice. it's very, very easy to play. and it's very much in tune. it has a lovely pure, round tone.
i prefer my syns to it, though. playing them is very comfortable and satisfying because of the backpressure (which does not exist on the dixon), and the bottom octave is strong and well-balanced with the second. i like 'em!
the dixon is definitely purer, though, if that's what you're looking for.
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I clicked the link, honest, I just didn't stop and shop while I was there.

Is it possible that the Feadog I have is just a dog? The second G is almost impossible to play and high B takes more air than a trumpet!