Internal rust in a sweetone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
monkey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Internal rust in a sweetone

Post by monkey »

Is there any way to deal with this, i was looking in my sweetone and its going a bit rusty where it is folded? to make the whistle seal.

I rescued it from a friends house where it had been abused and knocked round for years (that makes it sound like a rescued pet :D! ) it has paint chips/knocks here and there. but it is white in colour which i don't see available anymore & i have become quite fond of playing it.

so will it just eventually rust away or can i do anything ??

:)
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Don't let it get wet anymore, for one thing. For another, I think you can find stuff wot treats metal in a hardware store, but im nay sure.
monkey

Post by monkey »

Blackout_Entertainment wrote:Don't let it get wet anymore, for one thing. For another, I think you can find stuff wot treats metal in a hardware store, but im nay sure.

I thought of that stuff, but is it safe to breathe in etc..? :-?

I also thought of maybe swabbing olive oil (the oil not the cartoon woman :D ) up & down it ? but i won't do that until i know its a good idea :-?
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

monkey wrote:
Blackout_Entertainment wrote:Don't let it get wet anymore, for one thing. For another, I think you can find stuff wot treats metal in a hardware store, but im nay sure.

I thought of that stuff, but is it safe to breathe in etc..? :-?

I also thought of maybe swabbing olive oil (the oil not the cartoon woman :D ) up & down it ? but i won't do that until i know its a good idea :-?
Well, if you're worried about toxins, let it air out for a while.

And the olive oil should be perfectly safe. Unless you actually warp, cut, or otherwise change the shape of the tube, you're not going to ruin the sound. Mine is dented all to heck, but bending it back into shape left me with a sweetone thats only a few cents different than it was brand new. They're sturdy beasts.

Don't, however, touch the fipple.
ronya

Post by ronya »

I was also wondering about rust since I'd noticed a small rust spot inside of my Meg that I had been playing for a week only. There aren't any more and I guess this one appeared after I had used hot water to take the mouthpiece off for the first time - I probably left it wet after that and stuck the whistle in my bag not allowing it to dry properly. Or maybe rust spots are just likely to appear close to the mouthpiece because this is where there's the most condensation? Mine is also near the seam.
I'm thinkng now, should I do something to remove this rust spot or just leave it as it is and make sure i let the whistle dry in the future?
CRC

Post by CRC »

Hmmm. I tried the olive oil on my sweetone but it only helped a little. Although, this is a pretty bad case of rust!
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Maybe some 0000 or so steel wool on the end of a stick, and GENTLY polish the spot in the bore? then oil it with olive oil. WD-40 would probably be more appropriate for metal, but I think it would be a bad idea in the case of a whistle. :boggle:

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
CRC

Post by CRC »

In The Woods wrote:Maybe some 0000 or so steel wool on the end of a stick, and GENTLY polish the spot in the bore? then oil it with olive oil. WD-40 would probably be more appropriate for metal, but I think it would be a bad idea in the case of a whistle. :boggle:

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Maybe I'll try that next.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Forgedda bout id.
CRC

Post by CRC »

jim stone wrote:Forgedda bout id.
What do you mean? :-?
monkey

Post by monkey »

In The Woods wrote:Maybe some 0000 or so steel wool on the end of a stick, and GENTLY polish the spot in the bore? then oil it with olive oil. WD-40 would probably be more appropriate for metal, but I think it would be a bad idea in the case of a whistle. :boggle:

With best regards,

Steve Mack
thanks I'll try that :)
CRC

Post by CRC »

With best regards,

Steve Mack
I was going to try some WD-40 but after reading the back, decided not to. :o
falkbeer

Re: Internal rust in a sweetone

Post by falkbeer »

monkey wrote:Is there any way to deal with this, i was looking in my sweetone and its going a bit rusty where it is folded? to make the whistle seal.

I rescued it from a friends house where it had been abused and knocked round for years (that makes it sound like a rescued pet :D! ) it has paint chips/knocks here and there. but it is white in colour which i don't see available anymore & i have become quite fond of playing it.

so will it just eventually rust away or can i do anything ??

:)
I suggest removing the rust first with some chemical aid - try some product sold for cars or home improvers. Then seal the rusty spot with some kind of varnish. I use a thin layer of 2-component super glue.

On the other hand, you could also just accept that these whistles have a limited life span and buy a new one when the rust problem becomes overwhelming!
CRC

Post by CRC »

Ahh. I would like to dispose of my old, rusty Sweetone and buy a new one. But, there is sentimental value attached.
BlackDeath

Post by BlackDeath »

My sweetone is rusted too, but I don't mind since it's only a ?7 instrument, but I've just ordered a freeman-tweaked one (hopefully it will finally be my first in-tune whistle !) and that's a little more expensive, ?20, so yea i'd like to use it for at least a year or so this time :)

Aren't you allowed to wash the whistle now and again ? I dip the fipple in some cleansing water (tablets used to clean bracers ^^ ) and wash them out now and again to clean them, cuz well... dunno if it's just with me, but after a while that really is necessary :p

Or should i try to dry the inside after washing it, will that keep it from getting rusty ? Or is water always forbidden ?