The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fe2
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Fe2 »

I'm in that frustrating position of being a whistle newbie, and I'd appreciate advice and suggestions. I've tried for days to contact several dealers (Whistle Shop and Whistle and Drum) with no luck whatsoever. Numerous telephone calls only turned up busy signals to the point where I'm convinced their phone is off the hook. Of course I recognize that getting started in any new area is usually difficult because you have no idea where to start and how to get involved. As a newbie I'm merely seeking advice on make of whistle to begin with, a recommendation for a good tutor book and CD and whatever else I might need. I should mention that I have a Generation D and a Susato D. I'm not nuts about either one. I think it makes more sense to start with a decent instrument that is forgiving of beginner's mistakes rather than an instrument that only magnifies mistakes. Your help is appreciated.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Hello, FE2, and welcome!

I'm surprised that you had trouble getting through to those businesses, as they are usually very good to work with, or so I'm told.

My advice is not to be too critical of your low-end whistles right away. It's possible that you got a 'clunker' Generation, but most of them are quite good for the money, and the Susatos are consistently good. It takes a while to get some technique and control, but you'll be surprised how good both of those whistles can sound.

If you really do want to move up, the only high-end whistle I'm familiar with is the Sweetheart Pro D, which is a 'Dymondwood', (birch laminate). It's made by Ralph and Walt Sweet, at www.sweetheartflute.com. A number of dealers carry them. I think it's great, and I do prefer it over my cheapies, although many others never feel a need to move up.

There are lots of threads about other good whistles. As far as learning, my advice for a newbie is to start with familiar tunes that you already know. (Yankee Doodle, Twinkle-Twinkle, Jumpin' Jack Flash, etc...). Once you're proficient with a few and know your scales, it'll be easy to pick up instructional materials, learn to read (if you like), and learn from the page. Bear in mind this is folk/traditional music, and ALL of it can be learned by ear. That's my favorite way to learn, even though I read pretty well.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I started with a whole bunch of tutorials, and they all were helpful. Some of them are the Ochs tutorial sold with the Clark whistle (which I'm not at all fond of, but some people like a lot). Geraldine Cotter (my fave tutorial) did one that was very helpful especially on ornamentation. Brother Steve's online tutorial is very nice too!

I feel as if my playing improved a lot when I got my first high end whistle. For me it was a Burke, and it also started me on the road to WhOA, which has ruled my life and finances for the past 5 years.

In between the cost of a Gen and the cost of an Abell or Copeland (for instance) there are many very good choices. You may want to try one of Jerry Freeman's tweaked Gen's. They're more robust than the average off-the-shelf. I hear great things about the Black Diamond, too.

I'm sure you'll get many great suggestions. Just be aware that you can get very wrapped up in acquiring all sorts of whistles!

ps - (he can get a Sweetheart direct from the Sweets too!)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
stevetcm

Post by stevetcm »

Hi Fe2, have you tried a Meg or Sweetone, the D is cheap, plays in tune and is a different animal to the Susato or Generation.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi Fe2-- you really should have a whistle made of iron...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

If you're still looking for an inexpensive whistle, you may check out the "Inexpensive Whistle Poll" from a month ago or so. There's quite a bit of good information there about the cheapies.

Personally I like the Generation D and Feadog D quite a bit.

The Sweetone D is easier to play, but the sound is a bit breathy for me. It may suit you though.

As for tutorials, there are several good ones online. I recently got Bill Och's book/CD based on the many positive reviews here on the forum. It's very easy to understand and very clear. I certainly feel like I got my money's worth with it.

Jason
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

crookedtune wrote: If you really do want to move up, the only high-end whistle I'm familiar with is the Sweetheart Pro D, which is a 'Dymondwood', (birch laminate). It's made by Ralph and Walt Sweet, at www.sweetheartflute.com. A number of dealers carry them. I think it's great, and I do prefer it over my cheapies, although many others never feel a need to move up.
Ralph Sweet stands behind his work, and I cannot say enough good things about his instruments.

That said, don't be TOO hard on your new whistles. As you gain more control over your embouchure, fingering, and breath, they will sound better than they do now.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Here are some on-line tutorials that you could start practicing with while you are solving your other difficulties which I can't really give any advice on.

http://www.whistletutor.com/
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html
http://www.whistleworkshop.co.uk/instruct.htm
http://nigelgatherer.com/whist.html
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Doc Jones

Re: Newbie

Post by Doc Jones »

Fe2 wrote: I should mention that I have a Generation D and a Susato D. I'm not nuts about either one. I think it makes more sense to start with a decent instrument that is forgiving of beginner's mistakes rather than an instrument that only magnifies mistakes. Your help is appreciated.
I'd sure go for as good an instrument as you can afford. Even really experienced players sound lousy on a crappy whistle.

There are a lot of makers out there. Almost all of them are terrific people and produce a good product (or they'd have quit by now).

Let us know what your price range is and what you're looking for in volume and tone and you'll get some good advice here. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
riverman

Post by riverman »

Hello, Fe2, and Welcome!
I would definitely suggest you move to a high-end whistle as soon as possible. After moving from my cheaper whistles to my Michael Burke brass session, my daughter, a flute player, said, "All the problems that I was about to tell you about went away when you got your new whistle."
The Burke is very forgiving for a beginner, not squeaky, buzzy, or loud in the high end. It's in tune and doesn't scream.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Hi Fe2. Welcome to the club. :party:

Good tutors or tune books and CDs are a great place to start, along with a good cheap whistle.

Personally, I'd recommend a Clarke Sweetone whistle, they are very easy for a beginner to play. As for learning materials I'd suggest the Bill Ochs tutor and CD for a total newbie, and then, after a while, the Geraldine Cotter Tutorial book + CD and additional tunes CD. The '110 Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes' (or something like that) is also a handy book/CD set.

Lastly, a good software slow-downer for MP3s and CDs is invaluable for hearing what other players are doing. I use The Amazing Slow Downer, and it's great.

Good luck. :)
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

I have both a standard Generation and a Freeman Tweaked Gen and I rarely pick up the standard :) I also have an O'Brian Improved Feadog which is quite nice as well but not to my ears as smooth as the Freeman Gen. Depends on what sound you like :)

edit: I have to say though after listening to the sound clips on the Sweets site I am gonna have to work on getting me one of those... or five... hehehe
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ahhh Sweetheart ... mmmm - just remember that the blackwood is always better! It does not damp the sound as other woods do - it's like plastic that's not plastic! Mostly, you don't want to spend a bundle and find you need to spend a bundle more. ... ... then again, after WhOA sets in, anything can happen! :o
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Peter Pickow's Step One Whistle tutor is a pretty good starter. Comes with t a CD and gives a good intro to phrasing and ornamentation. Perhaps a bit too much ornamentation. as a beginner I found the ornamentation got in the way of learning the tune. Get the tune first then worry about decorating it.
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!