Instruments similar to the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Swedish-Banjo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Instruments similar to the whistle?

Post by Swedish-Banjo »

Im a newbee to all blowing-instruments, and have had a whistle now for a few months, and I was just thinking: Is there any other instruments that you play on the same way as the whistle, but that sounds different?

I've been watching a lot of videos from concertes and listening to much celtic folkmusik lately, and noticed that there are a lot of instruments that sounds verry neat. Though I dont know a thing about them, what they are or how to play them. :D
Just think it would be cool if there was an instrument that sounds in a completely different way, but that a whistler could handle.
Jonas. Färjestaden. Sweden.
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

If you're somewhat open minded, an Alto Recorder is a good choice and very similar to the whistle in terms of how to play. It has a completely different tone and feel, and it has a thumb hole which can be used for some interesting embellishments.

Also, the Fife is a very rich instrument with nearly identicle fingering to a penny whistle.

-- And don't forget the ever haunting Low Whistle!
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

In addition to the fife, there's the "Irish Flute", which is six-holed, and fingered just like a whistle. In fact, I'm not sure there's a clear line between fife and flute. As they get larger, (maybe at G or F), they start getting called "flutes". Anyway, a whistler can finger any of those. It's the overblowing that's a challenge!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The so-called bamboo sax is similar playing to a whistle and has a totally different sound. Maui Xaphoon and Erik the Flutemaker both offer these. I haven't tried one yet, but I bet that one of Daniel Bingamon's PVC clarinets would also be a great other instrument for a whistler.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the sweet potato ocarina. These use an in-line fingering system similar to the whistle, and have a fipple mouthpiece like a whistle, but there is a uniqueness of tone... almost an other-worldliness... that distinguished the ocarina from other flutes. http://free.hostdepartment.com/o/ocland/
Reasonable person
Walden
Blackout_Entertainment

Post by Blackout_Entertainment »

Ocarinas are great, but make sure you get one in a the key that your favorite songs can be played in! They only have one octave, and can't be 'tricked' into playing (correctly, anyway) into a second one!

:sniffle:
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

If you're wanting to spend a few dollars (239 to be exact) go for the whistle player's hornpipe. You can see details about it at www.newcelticinstruments.com. There will be a link for the Whistle Player's Hornpipe. Listen to the MP3s, esecially "The Rolling Wave." This is really an amazing instrument. If only money grew on trees...

[edited to fix web address]
Last edited by gallant_murray on Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

My own favourite sacrelige is the Bombarde. It fingers the same as a whistle but generally has a key or 2. Having a double reed makes it a little like the pipes but is shunned by sessioneers for its loudness. There is a version of the bombarde called the "piston" that is pitched in D. The classical Oboe, by the way, is also in D - much the same as the common flute with keys configured to "trick" it into other keys to satisfy academia. All wet-double-reed instruments have a stigma attached by their respective cultures - the Turkish Zurna, for instance, is likened to a tortured donkey, while I have heard the Oboe referred to as "the ill wind that no one blows well" etc.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
stevetcm

Post by stevetcm »

Hi gallant_murray think you got an extra full stop in the link, try this http://www.newcelticinstruments.com/whi ... story.html
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Mitch wrote:All wet-double-reed instruments have a stigma attached by their respective cultures - the Turkish Zurna, for instance, is likened to a tortured donkey, while I have heard the Oboe referred to as "the ill wind that no one blows well" etc.
I played bassoon in high school. The general consensus was that it sounded like a duck. To some, a constipated duck. I rather enjoyed it, though.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

You could have a blast at the quena.
It has the same number of holes on the front as a whistle, with a thumbhole on the back which slightly alters the fingering. If you're interested, I can elaborate on that.
If you want to see/hear one being played, there is some dodgy old footage on my site http://www.tonyhinnigan.com and I think there is also something on Phil Hardy's site http://www.kerrywhistles.com
Oh, and the vibrato is different. Traditionally you would use throat vibrato, but, ultimately, it's up to you. I play with whatever seems appropriate for the music.
That Scottish Git.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:
Mitch wrote:All wet-double-reed instruments have a stigma attached by their respective cultures - the Turkish Zurna, for instance, is likened to a tortured donkey, while I have heard the Oboe referred to as "the ill wind that no one blows well" etc.
I played bassoon in high school. The general consensus was that it sounded like a duck. To some, a constipated duck. I rather enjoyed it, though.
I recall a bassoonist referring to her instrument as "the farting bedpost".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Congratulations wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Congratulations wrote: I played bassoon in high school. The general consensus was that it sounded like a duck. To some, a constipated duck. I rather enjoyed it, though.
:lol:
I played Oboe in my youth - with the town millitary band - we had a long-note competition one night - after 2 minutes on a high B they stopped me, I thought it was out of hubris, but they assured me that that particular shade of purple was not seemly on the face of a town player! I also used to enjoy doing mosquito impersonations with the instrument.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

For something different in sound you might try a shawm. It has a very different sound from the whistle but can be played similarly.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
falkbeer

Re: Instruments similar to the whistle?

Post by falkbeer »

Swedish-Banjo wrote:Im a newbee to all blowing-instruments, and have had a whistle now for a few months, and I was just thinking: Is there any other instruments that you play on the same way as the whistle, but that sounds different?

I've been watching a lot of videos from concertes and listening to much celtic folkmusik lately, and noticed that there are a lot of instruments that sounds verry neat. Though I dont know a thing about them, what they are or how to play them. :D
Just think it would be cool if there was an instrument that sounds in a completely different way, but that a whistler could handle.
Why not try the swedish spilapipa? It´s mostly tuned in a minor key (dala-moll). There are a lot of diffrent kind of spilapipa, some have 8 finger holes and there are those with 7 or even six finger holes. I play on an instrument made by Leif Eriksson (he makes swedish bagpipes as well) with 7 finger holes. The tonica note lies on the 4 th finger hole on this instrument.