Hi G?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nonagon

Hi G?

Post by nonagon »

Hi
this is my first post here (though I have been lurking for quite a while and posted on the flute forum).
Anyway, I have just moved to a new flat and as I unpacked I was so pleased to have found my long since lost Generations high G (funny, I don't remember packing it). I was so delighted I immediately played the king of the fairies (Alan Stivell style) over and over 'till I noticed cracks in my windows and my wine glasses were vibrating.
Seriously now, I don't recall ever using it much and now I've found it and played a while, I'm not sure I will.
Have any of you ever used one regularly, say, in sessions or practice?
is there any daily useage for it other than irritating dolphins (hardly a daily activity).

cheers
Ma 'vefes ket bet mezv-dall derc'h, 'vefes ket o klemm gant an droug blev hiziv
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I think it's widely agreed upon that the high G can only be used for evil. See the recent thread. :)

Actually, I have a friend's high F and it's fun to play, but not for too long.

Jason
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a Thin Weasel high G and it's as sweet a sounding whistle as you can imagine. Ya just missed buying a used one here on the board...

I think Abell makes them too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It's also a good whistle for a young'un. My 4-year-old can cover all the holes of our Gen G and F. I still haven't quite drilled into her the part about uncovering the holes one-by-one starting from the far end.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chief Wanganui
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chief Wanganui »

Yeah, drat!
I missed the Weasel G. Must try to stay awake more.
Still, I got a new one from Chris and it's the sweetest thing!
That Scottish Git.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

I've got the O'Brien High F and really love it though again in short doses... Your high G would be very useful if you were doing recording of soundtrack/ambient stuff like I do but when it comes to IMF stuff I am the wrong guy.
I am looking for a high quality "in tune" high G myself. Any ideas on a used one plz advise...

WTA
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I often reach for my high G when the notes go off the end of my D. I am very fond of the little devil. I also noticed how Chris Abell has thoughtfully offset the holes to allow playing without too much finger-knotting. Although that can be half the fun of a Gen :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I find that a high G is good for tunes in which a piccoloish sound is desired... great for a crescendo in an otherwise dull tune. I've got a Thin Weasel in high G, a gift from Glenn (I miss that mad Gypsy)...it's one of the whistles gonna be buried with me...
Dave
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

BTW, I tried a Burke high G... nice whistle.