F Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HunsWhistler

F Whistle?

Post by HunsWhistler »

I play in a bass guitar in a band. I play a lot of weird instruments (especially ones used in Trad. Irish Folk) so on one song (which is the hidden track on our album) we decided to just add every single instrument we collectively knew how to play, and just layer it into the song. It turned out great, with one problem. The song was in Bb (or B Flat). It's very hard to play in Bb if you're playing on a D Tin Whistle. We have no plans of this now, but we may want to do the song live someday, this would pose a problem, since I had to play the whistle part in G and have the guy at the studio bring it up to Bb. But I could play the part on an F tin whistle, if such a thing existed. That's what my question is. Is there such thing as an F Tin Whistle?
Swing a little more on the Devil's Dance Floor!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: F Whistle?

Post by Congratulations »

Yes, there's high F's (higher than D) and low F's (lower than D). Generation makes a high F.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
HunsWhistler

Post by HunsWhistler »

ok, thank you.
HunsWhistler

Post by HunsWhistler »

ok, thank you.
shadeclan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by shadeclan »

HunsWhistler wrote:I play in a bass guitar in a band. I play a lot of weird instruments (especially ones used in Trad. Irish Folk) so on one song (which is the hidden track on our album) we decided to just add every single instrument we collectively knew how to play, and just layer it into the song. It turned out great, with one problem. The song was in Bb (or B Flat). It's very hard to play in Bb if you're playing on a D Tin Whistle. We have no plans of this now, but we may want to do the song live someday, this would pose a problem, since I had to play the whistle part in G and have the guy at the studio bring it up to Bb. But I could play the part on an F tin whistle, if such a thing existed. That's what my question is. Is there such thing as an F Tin Whistle?
Generation and others also make "Bb" whistles, which would probably make it easier for you to play a song written in "Bb" than the same song on a whistle in the key of "F".
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

shadeclan wrote:
HunsWhistler wrote: Is there such thing as an F Tin Whistle?
Generation and others also make "Bb" whistles, which would probably make it easier for you to play a song written in "Bb" than the same song on a whistle in the key of "F".
As mentioned, yes there are F whistles out there, quite a number of makers do them:Overton and Grinter come imediately to mind.

The question as to whether a Bb whistle will work for the song or not depends on the note range of the song. If the song dips below the bell note of Bb, then he will need the F whistle to accomplish the task.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Huns clearly says in the post that they play it in G, so an F whistle would use the same fingering. Doc Jones has a Low F Alba for sale.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Unseen122 wrote:Huns clearly says in the post that they play it in G, so an F whistle would use the same fingering. Doc Jones has a Low F Alba for sale.
What he clearly states is that the tune is in Bb and that he HAD to play it in G and have the studio guy rev it up to Bb. He needs the F whistle so he can play it directly in Bb in live gigs.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

If they played it in D, the studio guy could bring it down, it works either way. From the jist of the post, I think they are looking for an F Whistle.