Couple of questions on the Howard Low D...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Couple of questions on the Howard Low D...

Post by Jason Paul »

The Howard is currently the front-runner in my whistle quest for my upcoming birthday. I have a couple of questions about it.

Is the brass model brushed, or polished? I'm thinking it's polished from the photo/description at LITM. If it's polished, is it slippery like nickel?

Anyone have a colored one? I see they're anodized, so I guess there shouldn't be a problem with the paint cracking/flaking/coming off. Anyone had any problems?

Is the largest hole really 1/2"? That sounds awfully big to me. Is that as large as it sounds? Or, is that about the norm for low D whistles?

Thanks,
Jason
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I have a green anodized one.

I have had no trouble with the finish. It's still in perfect condition.

The toneholes on this whistle are huge, substantially larger than on the Susato low D (my only other low D), also larger than the tone holes on the Hamilton flute.

I can play the Susato with fingertips, but the Howard demands piper's fingering.

The whistle is very responsive, and even with its big tone holes, handles ornaments and rapid play well.

The upper register does take some work to learn to control.

I enjoy the Howard and it gets played often.

I've also gone back to the Susato lately and found I enjoy its louder, harsher tone. Right now it's getting more play than the Howard.

Hint for playing low D whistles: if, like me, you have chronically dry skin, the tone holes can be a nightmare on these big whistles. Using a bit of hand lotion before playing makes a world of difference for me.

And an aside for anyone considering flute: flute is actually much easier, even though the reach is similar. Because your arms are up and the right arm is at a right angle to the flute, it is wonderfully easy to play and control compared to a low whistle.

So don't let this talk of (relatively) hard to play low whistles scare you off from trying flute!

--James
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

I had a dark blue one and it was deep looking. Very nice. Never did scratch or chip. Brass might be a little slippery if it is polished but not as bad as nickel. If the brass is left alone it will be easy to hold. I also use hand lotion to soften the skin for sealing the holes better. The brand I have is Corn Huskers. Has a yellow label. It seems to help hold the whistle in my hands too.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

As you probably know, all the Howard whistles are brass - some with coatings, some without. I don't have any problems with my nickel one, but I did have a chance to handle an anodized black one and it was less slippery than mine. Looked like it was holding up well.

The holes have been a little bit of a challenge, but the sound is is really worth it!
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
ambaiste

couple of questions on Howard Low D

Post by ambaiste »

As stated before all Howard whistles are made of brass and are tuneable.
The finishes are prodeuced by powder coating, not anodizing.Anodizing is something that is done to Aluminium to produce a very hard aluminium oxide coat (same material as grinding wheels are made of, not something you would want to put in your mouth)

We do 2 brass whistles,
(1) is a brushed finish with a powder coating
(2) unlacquered brass that you have to polish occassionally.

The two reasons we use powder caoting are
(1) It is extremely tough and long lasting
(2) It is not slippy in the hands.

Dorothy Howard
Company Secretary
Howard Music Ltd
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I'm not sure why you woldn't want to put anodized aluminum in your mouth...anodizing, as noted, makes aluminum oxide...the same thing that just leaving a bare aluminum whistle out in the open air will form, just faster, more evenly, and thicker. It's harder than regular aluminum, non-toxic, heat resistant to 1,200° F, and leaves no residue behind after the anodizing process. For those who are scared of aluminum poisoning, it also provides a stable medium between your mouth and raw aluminum, so the chances of ingesting much (or any) are pretty small (that is, if you have an aluminum mouthpiece). It seems fairly safe to me.

I'm not sure why grinding wheels have anything to do with it...that seems rather like saying "you shouldn't buy brass whistles, because they are made of brass, something that bullet jackets are made of and not something you'd want to put in your mouth." The one thing has nothing to do with the other thing. ;)

That said, I'm sure the Howard powder coating is quite fine as well.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm somewhat familiar with powder coating, so I know the finish will last. Green is the color I have my eye on.

If I do end up getting one, I may be taking a bit of a risk regarding the hole size and spacing. However, I don't think my hands would be considered small (medium I'd guess), so it should be something I could get used to.

As I said, I've got a couple of months to mull it over...

Thanks,
Jason
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Wanderer wrote:I'm not sure why you woldn't want to put anodized aluminum in your mouth...anodizing, as noted, makes aluminum oxide...the same thing that just leaving a bare aluminum whistle out in the open air will form, just faster, more evenly, and thicker. It's harder than regular aluminum, non-toxic, heat resistant to 1,200° F, and leaves no residue behind after the anodizing process. For those who are scared of aluminum poisoning, it also provides a stable medium between your mouth and raw aluminum, so the chances of ingesting much (or any) are pretty small (that is, if you have an aluminum mouthpiece). It seems fairly safe to me.
I was thinking the same thing.
I'm not sure why grinding wheels have anything to do with it...that seems rather like saying "you shouldn't buy brass whistles, because they are made of brass, something that bullet jackets are made of and not something you'd want to put in your mouth."
Point of clarification, if you don't mind... Actually with very few exceptions, jacketed bullets are jacked in copper. the cartridge cases (the part that holds the bullet, powder and primer) are typically made of brass. This fact has absolutely no impact on the logic of your sentence, I'm just funny about wanting things to be explained correctly.:)
The one thing has nothing to do with the other thing. ;)
Yep.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

peeplj wrote:And an aside for anyone considering flute: flute is actually much easier, even though the reach is similar. Because your arms are up and the right arm is at a right angle to the flute, it is wonderfully easy to play and control compared to a low whistle.

So don't let this talk of (relatively) hard to play low whistles scare you off from trying flute!

--James
James,
I know I am going off-topic and this has probably been asked a 1000 times but which flutes should you consider first , suggestions please
Thanks,

D
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

dow wrote:
Point of clarification, if you don't mind... Actually with very few exceptions, jacketed bullets are jacked in copper. the cartridge cases (the part that holds the bullet, powder and primer) are typically made of brass. This fact has absolutely no impact on the logic of your sentence, I'm just funny about wanting things to be explained correctly.:)
Some bullets have brass jackets. A notable example is Remington's Brass-jacketed Golden Sabre hollow point.

But your point is taken that cartridge cases are more typically brass, and your point is also taken that it doesn't break the logic of my statement ;)
dow

Post by dow »

Wanderer wrote: Some bullets have brass jackets. A notable example is Remington's Brass-jacketed Golden Sabre hollow point.
Ah. You're correct. I stand (err... sit) corrected. I didn't think about that, since I don't normally shoot those. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Just let me know if you guys want me to change the title of this thread to:

"Howard Low D and bullets"

That way people can find it in the future. :lol: :D

Jason
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Hi Jason,

Just a caution considering the reach on the Howard. I bought one because I truly liked the sound, and because playing it came readily in the shop, and because I was on vacation and nobody from my family was there telling me they needed some other luxury more than I needed this one. :)

But I had to sell it because whenever I played it for any length of time, it made my right hand very uncomfortable. It wasn't covering tone holes that was the problem, it was the reach to the lowest tone hole. I have fairly large hands for a woman. But I wasn't able to reconcile the pain with the sound I liked so much. Yes, I was using piper's grip. That part of my hand was just not made for that kind of repetetive motion, I guess.

If it's possible to find one you can play on trial, I'd recommend it.

I'm playing flute now, and it doesn't hurt! The angle is more ergonomic.

Jennie
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I have a Howard low C which has even bigger holes (I suppose) and longer stretch. It does take a bit of getting used to, as almost any whistle that low would, and I have to get used to it all over again if I haven't played it in a while. It is well worth the effort. I don't feel the need for another low C and, since my low whistles include Overtons (several), Burkes, Reyburns, Grinters and Copelands (several), I take it that endorsement speaks for itself. If I had to buy one low D on a tight budget it would be a Howard—no question about it. You get the sound without having to fork out the money.
dow

Post by dow »

Jason Paul wrote:Just let me know if you guys want me to change the title of this thread to:

"Howard Low D and bullets"

That way people can find it in the future. :lol: :D

Jason
By the way, what caliber is the Howerd Low D? :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX