Should I or shouldn't I?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jetpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jetpiper »

Hannah- Definitely go for it! This is a wonderful instrument, and it sounds as though you are already a multiple instrument kind of person. Don't worry about WhOA. Its really kinda fun! I have my WhOA pretty well in check by the reality of a wife and three kids who require most of my money. :lol: Its nice to have another instrument to go to when you feel like something different. I play drums, guitar, Highland bagpipes, whistle, Native American flute, transverse flute, and fiddle. :lol: I also mess around with banjo, mandolin, and keyboards too. I'm taking up the Uilleann pipes, just as soon as they arrive. I am never board, musically! So, jump in and have fun! We're all rootin for ya!
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

Hi Hannah!

I thnk you should try it, there's nothing to loose and a lot to win.
I first started to play whistle because I just loved the sound of a low whistle I heard in a live show. Because I liked that sound so much I started to ask and finally ended taking lessons from the musician that I heard that day. She's a great teacher, and her first advice (since this is my first instrument) was to start with a high whistle instead of a low (much bigger) one... at first I didn't care about the sound as it was (I thought then) shrill and too loud. But now I have to say that I really love the sound of a high Whistle, and every day I love it even more. About a month ago I started, finally, to play a low whistle... and I'm really happy with it. It's like a dream becoming true.
This board is amazing and unique. Try to come back every now and then and you'll see that for yourself.

Good luck!
Cristian Feldman
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

dear hannah: how do you think most of us ended up here? i bet most of us heard a whistle and just had to learn. i know that's why i'm here. i play everything but irish traditional music on my whistle. i play by myself and with paino and guitar somewhat regularly and other instruments occasionally. the whistle holds it's own with these instruments and compliments them nicely. for goodness sakes girl, get a whistle. best wishes. mutepointe.

let us know which whistle you got. let us know how it goes too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
hannah

Re: Should I or shouldn't I?

Post by hannah »

avanutria wrote:Hiya Hannah, welcome! Martin and I will be going to the Oxford Folk Festival in April, that might be an event that would interest you. http://www.oxfordfolkfestival.com/ ..I'm hoping there might be a concertina workshop this year, as that's my primary instrument, but concertina events are fairly thin on the ground around here.
Wow, that'd be so cool! I'd love to go!
Cynth wrote:Hi hannah! I had never heard of James Last so I had to go listen to some clips. They are fun. I'm not quite sure about Orange Blossom Special although it did make me whoop a bit, but I liked Besame Mucho and Mamma Mia and the polkas alot.
I'm glad you like them! Did you listen to Sunset at Flamingo Park and Reel Express? They're gorgeous :D . And thanks for those tutorial websites, I shall have fun reading them!
dfernandez77 wrote:It seems you already have many friends here (at Chiff & Fipple) who are interested and encouraging.
Heehee :thumbsup: :D :D

Wow everyone, thanks for all your great advices! :) I'm definately going to get a whistle now, maybe even two (both the C and the D whistle)! So are these two whistles the high ones?
mutepointe wrote:let us know which whistle you got. let us know how it goes too.
Yup, I shall :)

Thanks again everyone!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

hannah wrote:Wow everyone, thanks for all your great advices! :) I'm definately going to get a whistle now, maybe even two (both the C and the D whistle)! So are these two whistles the high ones?
They're kind of in the middle. You can get whistles as high as G above that standard D, and all the way down to about Low C, that's an octave below the standard C - but at that point you really have to have huge hands to be able to manage the finger stretch.

Martin went through his whistles last night and picked some out, I think there was a sweetone D, Meg C, generation D and possibly another D that I've forgotten. If you'd like these you are welcome to them; if not just let us know and we'll put them back in the pile. :)
TomB

Post by TomB »

avanutria wrote: If you'd like these you are welcome to them; if not just let us know and we'll put them back in the pile. :)
"Pile." Heh! Heh! Married a couple of weeks and already not paying attention to what your husband says, eh?

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
TomB

Post by TomB »

avanutria wrote: If you'd like these you are welcome to them; if not just let us know and we'll put them back in the pile. :)
"Pile." Heh! Heh! Married a couple of weeks and already not paying attention to what your husband says, eh?

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
walrii

Post by walrii »

hannah wrote:...but what I’d hate to see is that after a couple of months my poor tin whistle sitting in the cupboard abandoned…that’d be so sad.
Not half so sad as it sitting on the shelf and ending up in the landfill when the store cleans out its old stock. When I was 16, I wandered in to a music store one afternoon and saw a cheap wooden recorder with a how-to book for a couple dollars. I bought it and taught myself to play a couple tunes then put it in the closet. Every few years, I'd pull it out and toodle a bit then put it back on the shelf. That little recorder traveled the world with me for 45 years. About five years ago, I finally decided to really learn to play it. I quickly got a better instrument and joined a local pick-up group. I discovered the whistle while looking for free music on the web. The whistle tunes sounded good on the recorder but even better on the first cheap whistle I bought. I now have the obligatory jar of whistles and seven recorders. That little wood recorder? It's still in the collection and always will be.

That first step it the only important one - take it.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

walrii wrote: About five years ago, I finally decided to really learn to play it. I quickly got a better instrument and joined a local pick-up group. I discovered the whistle while looking for free music on the web. The whistle tunes sounded good on the recorder but even better on the first cheap whistle I bought. I now have the obligatory jar of whistles and seven recorders. That little wood recorder? It's still in the collection and always will be.
see, see I'm not alone in having lots of recorders. I'm waiting on whistle number 3 to show up and on recorders numbers 10 and 11.
I couldn't help myself. Someone was selling a Prufer recorder on ebay and had another one..I don't even know what it is yet as part of the package. my first "good" recorder was a prufer and almost no one knows the name. Doesn't help that the Prufor manufactoring plant burnt down in the 70's. Go for it, recorders and whistles are good for you. trust me, I'm a nurse.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Tia

Post by Tia »

Hey..surprise i agree with everyone else of course you should learn it, because you might regret not learning but I doubt you'll regret learning. And definitaly get a D, I have a C because when i bought it I had no idea that there were differences and now I really want a D, because the songs are more commonly in that key
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote: Martin went through his whistles last night and picked some out, I think there was a sweetone D, Meg C, generation D and possibly another D that I've forgotten. If you'd like these you are welcome to them; if not just let us know and we'll put them back in the pile. :)
The last one was a Waltons Mellow D.

Hannah, Beth and I are now confirmed for the OFF, where Flook are playing. You have to hear Brian Finnegan playing whistle. I also recommend you check out these guys:

http://www.btinternet.com/~adam.keelan/
walrii

Post by walrii »

cutterpup wrote:
walrii wrote:I now have the obligatory jar of whistles and seven recorders.
I'm waiting on whistle number 3 to show up and on recorders numbers 10 and 11.
Simple WhOA sufferers should reflect on a life plagued by both WhOA and ROAD. I'm sure cutterpup will agree it's a wonderful combination of aliments.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
hannah

Post by hannah »

I just came home from shopping today and bought a Waltons' D whistle, tis so cool! It's gold and shiny...though I wanted to get a silver one, but that's just me being fussy over colours again :oops: . Anyway, I can sort of play a 2-octave D major scale (and the beginning of The Shire from Lord of the Rings :D ).

However I now have a headache, is this because I was playing in the car (don't worry, my dad was driving) or the whistle itself?

Also, I'm so surprised by the amount of spit that came dribbling out from the bottom of the whistle, ew...so everytime I play I always have to have a tray in front of me so that the saliva doesn't go on the carpet :(
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

hannah wrote: Also, I'm so surprised by the amount of spit that came dribbling out from the bottom of the whistle, ew...so everytime I play I always have to have a tray in front of me so that the saliva doesn't go on the carpet :(
You might try swallowing before you start to play, and blowing from the back of your throat. The amount of moisture people produce when playing varies, but you really shouldn't have that much coming out of your whistle.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

The headache is probably because you're not used to blowing out so much air so quickly. It'll stop happening once your lungs get used to it, and then it'll come back again briefly when you get a Low D :D

Or it could be from playing in the car, an enclosed space can do that. Did your dad get a headache too? If he did, be sure not to ask him why. ;)