Which Hoover low whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Which Hoover low whistle?

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm considering getting a low whistle sometime in the next few months. I don't want to spend much because I don't play whistle as much since getting my NA flute. However, I still want to pick them up once in a while.

I've always felt that one of Mack's whistles would be just the ticket. The price is right and they get lots of positive comments. I want a fairly quiet, sweet whistle with just a bit of chiff, and will probably mostly be playing airs.

I had considered just getting a whitecap for my Feadog, but really think I'd rather get a low whistle. I know my wife would rather hear that than a high D.

Anyway, I've already picked up that his CPVC whistles are generally recommended over a whitecap on an aluminum body. So I guess I should go with CPVC.

Next, and finally my purpose for this thread, which key? I'm considering A, G, or F. Since I'm pretty casual about my playing, I'd rather not have to use a piper's grip. I'd say my hands are medium-sized. Hole spacing of around 1.25" is comfortable.

I will probably be playing alone. But, if I played with anyone else, it would probably be a guitar for praise/worship. So G or A seems like a more appropriate key.

Comments?

Thanks,
Jason
barbuck
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by barbuck »

Hi Jason,

Coincidentally, I had Mack make me a set of PVC whistles with his faux wood finish in A, G & F, that I received just before Christmas. He'll work with you if you have certain characteristics that you're looking for in the whistle.

I love all three of them, but I couldn't really pick one, because I use them all for songs we play in keys where I can use that particular whistle. Based on what you're looking for regarding grip, I would recommend going with the A or G. Personally I use a modified grip on those, fingertips on top hand, piper's style on bottom. On all three, I can use my ring finger for the lowest note, as opposed to some lower whistles where I must use my pinkie for the low hole.
BAR
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks Bar.

I was hoping for more replies. People seem to talk about Mack's whistles all the time, so I guess I just had my hopes up.

Oh well, one too many "Which whistle" thread I guess. At any rate, the advice would probably be that I can't go wrong with any of them.

So, if I get one I think it will be the G unless additional comments steer me toward the A.

Thanks again,
Jason
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Jason Paul wrote:Thanks Bar.

I was hoping for more replies. People seem to talk about Mack's whistles all the time, so I guess I just had my hopes up.

Oh well, one too many "Which whistle" thread I guess. At any rate, the advice would probably be that I can't go wrong with any of them.

So, if I get one I think it will be the G unless additional comments steer me toward the A.

Thanks again,
Jason
Maybe you didn't get many replies because it's hard to choose between those keys. I like them both a lot. And the one I like most usually just depends on which one I'm playing at the moment. You really won't go wrong either way. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i too am a fan of mack's whistles. i have several of his, including an A and a F. it would be hard to tell you which one to choose - you can't go wrong though. i think his cpvc's are his best work. and i can tell you that i too have medium size hands, and can play even the low f without using piper's grip. i've never owned a "g" as i get along without it thanks to the "d" whistles i own.

my "A" is really a fun whistle to play. it has a rich texture to it. and has a bounce to it. the "f" doesn't have the same bounce, but its lower register is nothing but sweet.

hope this helps...
waltcamp45
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by waltcamp45 »

Jason Paul wrote:Thanks Bar.

Thanks again,
Jason
I bought a low G from Mack a couple of years ago, and I love it dearly. Its tone, playability, relative quietness -- all these characteristics make it a fantastic whistle for noodling around at home, especially in the evening when my better half prefers peace and quiet.

Before I bought it, I asked Mack for advice on which low whistle to start with. He advised the G, partly because it's not as much of a stretch (literally and figuratively) as the D.

The following year I bought a low D from him. I really like that whistle, but I love my low G. Were they to stop me at the gates of heaven and say, "Sorry, buster, you can bring only one whistle with you," I know which one I'd chose.

Of course, I'm awaiting the arrival of one of David O'Brien's copper whistles. If it sounds as good as others have claimed, I might need to try to smuggle a second whistle into the hereafter. :wink:

Walt
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have a wide-bore Hoover A in PVC. It is a fantastic whistle.

Rand
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

waltcamp45 wrote:
Of course, I'm awaiting the arrival of one of David O'Brien's copper whistles. If it sounds as good as others have claimed, I might need to try to smuggle a second whistle into the hereafter. :wink:

Walt
Just got the O'Brien whistle 10 minutes ago, and it is without question the best high D I have ever seen, played, or heard. I am as ecstatic over this whistle as I was a couple of years ago when I received Mack's low G.

Back to whistling,

Walt
markbell

Post by markbell »

Jason,

I'd get an A before a G, since you can play in the key of G pretty easily by either cross-fingering or half-holing to get a C-natural. A is a playable key on a D whistle, but takes more practice to half-hole the G#.

I have one of Mack's A wide bore, and it is a great whistle. I do use piper's grip on the right hand, perhaps more out of habit. I had played a low D Chieftain for a long time, and there was no choice but to learn piper's grip.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
greg

pvc

Post by greg »

i have both the hoover pvc low g and low d the low g is very easy to adjust to the low d takes a little time but is still pretty easy and both sound great and suprisingly look great also you cant go wrong with the g i use a modified pipers grip on both but i can easily play both with my finger tips
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Well, I may have to rethink this.

I played the G clip of Exile from Mack's site for my wife and she thought it was too high. She liked the overall sound of a low D better.

So now my delimma is this; do I:

Get a quiet low G so I don't annoy my wife. (She'll probably still hear it anyway)
Get a low D.

I guess I have more thinking and reading to do. If I go with a low D, I'd want it to be fairly easy to play since I'm pretty new.

How is the finger hole size/spacing on Macks low D whistles?

Thanks,
Jason
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Jason,

I have a Mack Hoover Low D. It's has an Aluminum barrel and a Whitecap head. The barrel diameter is 7/8". It's a very easy playing Low D, certainly on the quiet side and sweet sounding all the way through the upper register without getting overly loud or shrill. Just the thing for playing around the house without annoying the wife or cats.

As to the spacing between holes, the two longest are between the D and E at just a hair under 1-1/2" and between the G and A which looks to be almost exactly 1-1/2". I don't have huge hands and can play it comfortably with finger tips or with a pipers grip.

My advice is get either the Whitecap/Aluminum or all CPVC version. I'm confident you would won't go wrong in either case. I'm also pretty sure that Mack would take back a whistle that you just can't play.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Thanks for taking the time to measure. That spacing doesn't sound too bad at all, so I may just get one when the time comes.

Jason