Beginner Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beginner Question

Post by gwen »

Hi!
I've only had my whistle for about 24 hours and I have a question. How am I supposed to hold the thing in my mouth? I used to play clarinet and I suspect old habits are causing me trouble... Am I supposed to tuck in my top lip over my teeth? How about the bottom lip? Also, how tight am I supposed to hold it in my mouth? Thanks for the help!
Gwen
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

No need to hold it tightly, really just hold it in place with your lips. You don't need to bite it like you would on a Clarinet. Just tuck your teeth under your lips and hold it very loosely.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The thing about whistle is you don't use your mouth/lips to hold it in place. Some people put down their bottom pinky to hold it, while others like to keep their bottom-hand ring finger down on notes where it won't affect the pitch.

A good example of the pinky technique can be found here.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

dear gwen:

welcome. where, how, why, and which whistle did you get?

mutepointe.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nice to meet you gwen. :) My tutorial book says to put the whistle between your lips only as far as necessary to seal the opening, about 1/4". Your teeth should be well behind that very front part of your lips. Teeth and lips are in the places they are naturally. No tucking lips under teeth or teeth under lips (?) :lol: . No biting on mouthpiece with teeth. Your lips should seal around the opening and be slightly firm but relaxed. As Congrats says, your lips are not supporting the whistle, your hands do that. And be sure you keep those hands relaxed. That is my biggest problem.

Why do clarinet players need to bite their mouthpiece? Are there other instruments like that? What effect does it have? What would happen if they didn't bite it? Just curious.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cynth wrote:Why do clarinet players need to bite their mouthpiece? Are there other instruments like that? What effect does it have? What would happen if they didn't bite it? Just curious.
Most every reed-instrument works like that. It has to do with the fact that embourchure counts so much for those instruments, and how the lips meet the mouthpiece is everything.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cynth wrote: Why do clarinet players need to bite their mouthpiece? Are there other instruments like that? What effect does it have? What would happen if they didn't bite it? Just curious.
When playing clarinet, you need to provide the right amount of pressure to keep the reed vibrating with the right amplitude against the moutnpiece. Have you ever heard the squeaks that a novice clarinet player makes and that are so irritating? Those happen because the novice hasn't built up his chops enough to keep the reed in control.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
gwen

Beginner Question

Post by gwen »

I have a "Tweaked Sweetone". I am really enjoying it and have had to order 2 more for my daughters!
Gwen
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thanks for the clarinet info folks. I have never played an instrument like that so I just couldn't imagine. Having to keep the pressure on the reed just right! All I would need is one more problem! :lol: Yes, I have definitely heard those squeaks.

You and your daughters will have a good time. It's nice to have something that eveyone wants to take part in.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Another beginner here..still waiting for my whistles to show up. As for biting down with the clarinet, I can still remember when I was learning how to do this and the number of reeds I split using too much pressure. At least my rcorders don't have reeds (well not counting the block they don't).
Judy
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: Beginner Question

Post by dfernandez77 »

gwen wrote:I have a "Tweaked Sweetone". I am really enjoying it and have had to order 2 more for my daughters!
Gwen
That's a great first whistle. I can say that with full authority (yet limited objectivity) because it was my first whistle.

Have fun.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cynth wrote: My tutorial book says to put the whistle between your lips only as far as necessary to seal the opening, about 1/4". Your teeth should be well behind that very front part of your lips. Teeth and lips are in the places they are naturally. No tucking lips under teeth or teeth under lips (?) :lol: . No biting on mouthpiece with teeth. Your lips should seal around the opening and be slightly firm but relaxed. As Congrats says, your lips are not supporting the whistle, your hands do that. And be sure you keep those hands relaxed.
I tell you, you just can't beat advice like that! Cynth, you did a good job!

I can't improve on that advice, Gwen, but in the very unlikely possibility that you remain unable to control your whistle adequately after all that, let me know.

I'm working on a whistle-holding head-harness right now. By means of a series of adjustable straps which go round the head, a whistle-holding attachment fits up snugly to the mouth. The whistle body is inserted through a slot in the front of that. All models come with a quick-release device so that you can eat and drink normally between tunes, or even switch to flute without having to take the whole darned contraption off your head.

Optional attachments will include "Vermont-style" hearing protection flaps, a discrete halogen headlight to facilitate reading tune sheets in dark pubs, and--a feature older whistlers will surely appreciate--flip-down reading glasses in your choice of strengths.
thirdfipple

well

Post by thirdfipple »

Lambchop surely the beta version will also have mountings for the ear buds from the ipod, in addition to a fitting from which which to hang the cd remote control

uhmm does this mean i get a cut of the action?

please donate my share to the Wisely Wishful Whistling Wowsers (W4) foundation, a 501Z3 could-never-make-a-prophet

(sorry I will be stumbling back to the poststructural pub now, just visiting)
Lambchop

Re: well

Post by Lambchop »

thirdfipple wrote:Lambchop surely the beta version will also have mountings for the ear buds from the ipod, in addition to a fitting from which which to hang the cd remote control
They'll fit right into the ear flaps. Remove the ear plugs and insert the buds . . . voila!

I'll work on that CD remote control first thing in the morning! What an excellent idea!
uhmm does this mean i get a cut of the action?

Absolutely! :lol:
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hi Lambchop, can't wait for it to make it out of beta. What kind woods will the brace be made of?

Perhaps you could include a series of clips above the ears to hold extra whistles and a cup-holder for the Guiness?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com