A fine new Busman

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kansas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A fine new Busman

Post by Kansas »

My January is looking up! I received a new Busman from Paul in D.

Last fall I ordered a C and it was in a really incredible Birdseye Maple that had one of the most unusual patterns I have ever seen. It is a fine player, making it easy for a neophyte like me to play well. Voicing is great and even, and I am a great fan of the larger tone holes he uses. Seems to make it so much easier for me to close the tone holes properly, especially when speeding up the play. The holes are always well radiused and smoothed. Even though I have a treasured Kingwood D purchased frum Byll last year, I wanted another maple in D to "pair" up this C.

I admit it, I'm a wood junkie, and proud of it! I love to play the whistle, but get a extra rush from the beauty of the woods. I'm not a fan of plain grain, liking a little to a lot of unusual graining. I want wood to "look" like wood.

The whistle received yesterday is a D fashioned with beautiful Tiger Maple graining. I had passed on this particular maple wood last Fall for the C as it is so hard to photograph to see the grain effect. The only wood I have ever seen with this depth of layers is Hawiian Koa. I had even discussed Koa with Paul, but it is very hard to mill correctly and not generally available in the wood he works. The Tiger Maple I have now trumps anything I've seen in Koa or other woods. The layers are - how do I say this - iridescant. The only thing I can compare is to Tiger Eye stones. As you move the wood in the light it exposes more detail, different layers, complex shades. It even has a little of the Birdseye of my C as well, and is a great complimentary look for the "pair".

I think anyone who has been on this board for long knows that Paul Busman makes very nice, top of the line playing whistles. His whistles have been reviewed by many finer players tham I am, and are always well thought of. He is the only one I know that can produce a whistle in a myriad of woods. He displayed great patience as we discussed what and how over several months. His customer service is without question, he makes it very easy to find "your" favorite. If you like to see the beauty and graining of the wood in your whistles, he is your "go to" man.

Thanks for letting me share my enthusiasm over yet another piece of Busman art.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
thirdfipple

drooling

Post by thirdfipple »

pictures, please, please, pretty please!
Kansas

Photo

Post by Kansas »

I will ask Paul if I can use his photo .He was able to capture it pretty well.

By the way - where in Indiana are you? I grew up In Munster - up near Hammond.
Kansas

Tiger Maple

Post by Kansas »

Here is a photo of the new Tiger Maple taken by Paul prior to shipment. It's even prettier as it is turned in the light. Really looks like a Tiger tail!

Here is the photo link - I hope this works. It is the one Paul is holding up to the light.
Paul - thanks for letting me post your photo. I am greatly enjoying the whistle! Thank you for all your extra effort to make this for me!

Rich

http://photos.yahoo.com/rdgreen287too
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Beautiful!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Kansas

Post by Kansas »

anniemcu wrote:Beautiful!
Thank You - he does great work.
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Looks nice. Congrats.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Interesting; looks a bit like boxwood with stripes. Ok, you guys, stop trying to entice me with all this gorgeous wood - I gave it up due to unfavorable elemental conditions here; that's why I have a terrific Busman green delrin whistle. Let's see, maybe an African blackwood body, silver ferrules, and a nice green delrin fipple? Hmmmm....Paul, are you listening (reading actually)?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jetboy

Re: A fine new Busman

Post by Jetboy »

Kansas wrote: As you move the wood in the light it exposes more detail, different layers, complex shades.
I have a piece uf unidentified wood that is clearly from the mahogany/sapele family given to me by a mandolin maker. It is dirty brown in colour when un finished but polish it and the grain takes on an irridescence that is almost holographic. The nearest comparison I can give is likening it to a humbug. It has the same sort of colour and shimmer that a new humbug has. Unfortunately I don't have enough for a whistle so I use it for the fipple plugs
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

PhilO wrote:.... Let's see, maybe an African blackwood body, silver ferrules, and a nice green delrin fipple? Hmmmm....Paul, are you listening (reading actually)?

Philo
Can't do silver, but is stainless steel close enough? :wink:

Speaking of funky fipples, I made a pen on the lathe last night for my wife. She's an orangeoholic, and I found a really beautiful pen blank in an orange crushed satin color. After I cut off what I needed for the pen I had about 2" left so I turned it down to fipple diameter, popped out the fipple in my own black Delrin and brass whistle and fitted this orange lucite in there. Majorly cool looking!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Can we get soe pics Paul?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

brewerpaul wrote:
PhilO wrote:.... Let's see, maybe an African blackwood body, silver ferrules, and a nice green delrin fipple? Hmmmm....Paul, are you listening (reading actually)?

Philo
Can't do silver, but is stainless steel close enough? :wink:

Stainless steel would definitely work! It sure looks good on my green delrin.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Mitch

Re: A fine new Busman

Post by Mitch »

Jetboy wrote: I have a piece uf unidentified wood that is clearly from the mahogany/sapele family given to me by a mandolin maker. It is dirty brown in colour when un finished but polish it and the grain takes on an irridescence that is almost holographic. The nearest comparison I can give is likening it to a humbug. It has the same sort of colour and shimmer that a new humbug has. Unfortunately I don't have enough for a whistle so I use it for the fipple plugs
Hmm .. marquetry/inlays perhapse?
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Unseen122 wrote:Can we get soe pics Paul?
Here ya go...

This is not something I plan to offer as an option. I was just fooling around with a piece of pretty scrap.

Now, if I could find rods like this big enough for a whole whistle... :boggle:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

That looks really cool!