Tully Session Whistle - Simple Review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Tully Session Whistle - Simple Review

Post by dfernandez77 »

I wrote this simple review for my blog that is read by many non-whistlers, by folks who don't even know what an Irish Whistle is, and some who speak limited English.

It's very simplistic - even over-simplified in some cases - but the pics and sound clips should fill out the details enough to give you a good idea what the Tully is like.

Oh! the Tully is only made in the key of high D, and the Shaw is Freeman Tweaked.

Enjoy!

--------

I received a new whistle recently. Actually it is new to me, but not newly made. It has had at least one owner before me. It's a Tully Session Whistle.
http://www.tullberg.com/tully/

In the second photo the Tully whistle is pictured with a Shaw. I compare it to a Shaw because the Shaw is an inexpensive, classic design whistle, made of tin. Irish Whistles are also called Tin Whistles because that's the original material used to make them. The Tully however, would not likely be called a "Tin Whistle" because it is hand crafted and made of solid Sterling Silver.

I also use the Shaw as a comparison because the Tully has a traditional sound like the Shaw. You can hear a little rough wind-noise - which is called "chiff" by whistlers. Most all traditional whistles have some amount of chiff.

However, the Tully is different from the Shaw in several ways:
1. The Tully's voice is more pure and much brighter;
2. The intonation is very precise;
3. The volume stays more even from low notes to high notes;
4. The Tully requires less breath in the high notes than the Shaw.
The differences come from the material (silver vs. tin), the design differences, and the fact the Tully is hand made with great care.

So the Tully is nice because it has a nice traditional sound and feel, combined with a lovely and bright voice. It is also a very beautiful whistle.

Here are two short examples of the sound of the whistles for comparison. I played one short sound clip right after the other, no changes in microphone or settings. You can really hear the difference, the Shaw is muffled sounding compared to the bright sound of the Tully:
Freeman Tweaked Shaw: http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle ... edShaw.mp3
Tully Session Whistle: http://members.cox.net/tofutaco/Whistle ... ession.mp3

Tully in Case:

Tully with Shaw:

Detail - Back of Tully Headpiece and Tube:

Detail - Tully Mouthpiece and Windway:

Detail - Tully Wood Fipple Plug:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
talimirr743
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by talimirr743 »

Very good review! Nice pics btw.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

Nice review. To bad it's so hard to come by Tully's these days.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Glad you're enjoying it. I really like my double-barrelled Tully- it can be played alone or with the drone (kids love the drone) and the craftsmanship is excellent.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Wow...that's a mighty fine whistle. If we hadn't been told it is "used", I'd say you just picked it up five minutes after Eric finished it.
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

Oh, thanks a lot! Now I've got my mind on another whistle! I love that double D, it sounds great. I'll have to keep my eyes out for Tullys now.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Black Mage wrote:Oh, thanks a lot! Now I've got my mind on another whistle!
Ha!

I bought the Tully from SpringRobin who is selling some other whistles right now as well. I'd buy the C/D Abell set, but I've vowed not to buy any more whistles until after the Copeland I ordered arrives.

But the Tully is all mine!! Stop thinking about it - Bwahahaha!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.