Need a very quiet whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Johnv
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need a very quiet whistle

Post by Johnv »

Hi There,
I spend a bunch of time in hotels and have been trying to locate a quiet whistle for the obvious reasons. The Clarke with the wooden fipple is about as good as I have found, but I'm hoping that there is a whistle out there specifically designed for low volume practice. I am aware of a few tricks like blowing sideways into the mouthpiece and stuff like that, but I have a hard enough time as it is. I tried to seach this site, but came up with nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. John
dapple

Post by dapple »

Try Mack Hoover’s Brass Whistles at http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/ordering.htm
or Laughing Whistles at http://members.tripod.com/nherbison/?

Both are very quiet.
~ David
whistlekin

Post by whistlekin »

Hi John,
From what I know, Mack Hoover makes the quietest whistle around, specifically for playing when people are sleeping nearby and such. He also makes loud/regular whistles-so you should probably specify. Here is his address. If it looks like something you might be interested in, e-mail him with your questions-Mack is a great guy.

http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/

Good luck and Happy New Years!
-W
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Go with Mack.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Another quiet option is the alba Q1.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

dapple wrote:Try Mack Hoover’s Brass Whistles at http://home.bresnan.net/~mackhoover/ordering.htm
or Laughing Whistles at http://members.tripod.com/nherbison/?

Both are very quiet.
Specifically Mack's very narrow bore brass whistle. He'll know what to suggest when you talk to him.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Another option is to keep the whistles you have and practice with the technique of holding the fipple against your chin and blowing down into the windway. This is very, very quiet, but very effective. You may find it hard to discern the difference in octaves at first, but it is surprisingly easy after you get used to it. Joanie Madden uses this for quiet practice.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Just politely tell your whistles to...be quiet!

:lol:

Dixons are fairly quiet.
regor

Post by regor »

My ultimate quiet whistle is a Feadog... that I tried to tweek and irreversably screwed up... so I got rid of the entire blade, all the way to the tube...! What I get is a very very very very light whisper. Not very attractive sound, but great for working up finger memory when you need the ultimate quiet whistle , and it works in both registers still. That's my travelling whistle, never got banging on the walls since... :D
bigpow5

Post by bigpow5 »

The Hoover small bore gets clogged very quickly. It doesn't stop me from playing it. You just need to get used to clearing it often. It has a great sound otherwise.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

One of the most useful tips i learnt on this board is how to regulate the volume of a whistle by taking some Blutak (sticky putty for hanging posters on your wall) and placing a small bead of it in the window of your whistle. By the way you place it you can reduce the volume right the way down to a whisper. Fantastic tip and works much better than tape.

Thank you whoever first mentioned it.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The easiest way to get a quiet whistle is to take your current cheapie, take a piece of tape, and put it over part of the windway. Try it. Move the tape until you get the sound you want. I put it vertically over 1/2 the windway. Using this technique I was able to play a Gen in a hospital room and not wake the woman in the neighboring bed.

I've also used a small wad of unchewed gum stuck on the blade, and a toothpick in the mouthpiece.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Phil Hardy

IMO

Post by Phil Hardy »

I must say that the Granite Falls high D was a "peaceful "whistle.
Phil.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I find that a paper clip standing vertical in the windway does
the trick.
n4vgm

Post by n4vgm »

I'd like to see a picture of that befor I try it. Sound DANGEROUS...

Bob Z.