Question about Clarke

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HeronMark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Question about Clarke

Post by HeronMark »

I picked up a Clarke Sweetone today. Im rather excited because I finaly found a music store in this town... but that is something else.

My question is... Is there signifigant difference in sound between a Clarke Sweetone, and the 'Celtic Whistle' that Clarke puts out? I like the look of the Celtic Whistle because of the color and the celtic trinity. my guess is it is just a marketing ploy... but one that I will go for :oops: :lol: ... other than paint job, they both look the same on the net. The shop only had 3 whistles... now they only have one :lol: I got a Gen Eb, and Sweetone d in a lovely Yellow... heh, at least i wont loose it :boggle: I didnt get the high G he had... I hope he orders more... anyway it is late, and Im rambleing
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The Celtic Whistle is a differently-painted Sweetone.

That Generation Eb is probably a wonderful instrument.

Be glad you skipped the Generation G. Your neighbors and loved ones thank you.
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

the Eb has a sweet sound... but I dont really have much to base my judgement from, my entire whistle collection is a Walden d, a Dixion low d, and these 2... I need to find some songs in Eb and play with it some before I decide if I like it or not.

I figured the celtic whistle was just a paint job and a sticker different, but I like it.... silly me, I'm gona get it :lol:

the Sweetone seems a bit flat on the bell D... the rest are more or less on, is this normal?
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Clarke is hardly known for spot-on tuning. :)
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

can I fix the flat? ha ha... tire repair at wall mart ...

I dont konw much about whistle tweeking or building, but if i shave some of the end of the tube off will it fix it, or just mess all the other notes up as well?
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Leave the D flat is what I say unless it is really really flat (like a sharp C# flat) they a little bit off the bottom won't kill you but yes it might have some effect on the other notes but not as much as pushing in the head. If you find a note (other than D) that is way flat try sanding it open a bit if that is not enough use a Dremel to sand it open more if you don't have a Dremel putting the tip of a knife in the hole will provide a ugly but workable fix, I suggest the Dremel though. My favorite Bb is a Gen Bb but that is also the only Bb I have.
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

The d is only maybe 15 cents flat.. my tuner isnt that great, so I cant be sure. I'll leave it. the head is all the way in.

The Eb is sweet, but it has some edge to it, I dont know how to explain it really. I dont have much to compare it to. but, from what I hear Gens arnt the greatest example of "amazing right off the shelf".
whistlekin

Post by whistlekin »

I own a Gen G-now there is a useless whistle.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

whistlekin wrote:I own a Gen G-now there is a useless whistle.
I have a Gen-F it's quite fun. I should try to tweak it.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

I consider myself a low d player ((not a good player really, but i prefer to play low d... and any others even though i dont have any others...)) so when I looked at the gen g, I thought to myself "self... there is no way i will play that and not attract every dog in the aria..." then i though a bit more "also self, if you have trouble playing a high d because the holes are so close together, that will be nearly impossible"
Its true... when I see all the posts of people complaining about the reach for low whistles I kinda laugh to myself... ((no i dont always refer to myself in third person)) (( ok some times I do, but not all the time)) bla bla bla... ive had lots of suger today so, yeah... my wife who is reading over my shoulder is shaking her head and laughing at me, but that is normal...
anyhow, about the reach... I dont have huge hands, so I dont see how people really have that much trouble with the reach. When I play a high whistle I tend to try to put my fingers where I am used to on low d, so I miss all the time.