Nice A whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Curlyblue
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Curlyblue »

Hello All!

I've been thinking about a whistle in A. Only remember reading about whistles in this key on a few occassions.

So, are there nice A's out there? Would appreciate to hear your experiences. And also, how often do you use a whistle in A (have been asked to join a band, not traditional though. Thought more keys would be handy.....)

Many thanks everyone!
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I have a Burke composite in A. Very nice whistle. Provides an alternative for those songs with pickup notes too low for a D whistle.

John
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I happen to LOVE Shaw whistles. Breathy, lots of chiff (read "needs lots of breath!"). But beautiful sound. I own an E and an A. It's gorgeous!
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Hey CB,

Consider a Hoover cpvc. I have one in Ab that is absolutely great. Good volume, nice clean sound, even volume between the octaves, and changes octaves easily. I prefer it over Sindt A, Overton G, Shaw G and Susato G which are the other whistles I have around that key.

It really is a fantastic whistle. I think you'd like it.

Vinny
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Copeland A is very nice. I think
Overton and Chieftain As are nice, too.
A seems a good key for making good
whistles. A is useful playing with
other instruments, but it isn't
essential, generally. The fingering
for D is quite helpful. I find a
G whistle most useful, after the
D, then an A--for the stuff we
play, any how.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

The Water Weasel Bb and A whistles (made of the gray PVC) are really amazing.

-brett

P.S. I've currently got a Bb Water Weasel, but have decided that I'd get more use from an A. If anyone has an A, but would like a Bb instead, I'd be willing to trade. thnx.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bretton on 2002-04-02 16:43 ]</font>
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I'll second the vote for the Shaw A. I love mine. Also, although I only own one Hoover, a D, I can say it is a very good instrument. If Mack PVC A is anything like this D, it'll be a good instrument.

Vinny, shame on you! You got me thinking about a Hoover A! Now I'm going to have to talk to my wife about another whistle!

"If thy neighbor offend thee, buy his child a bodhran."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ScottStewart on 2002-04-02 17:44 ]</font>
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I second the vote for the Burke Composite A. It's one of my favorite playing/sounding whistles. I have a Bflat Burke Composite on the way and this summer will be getting an A/Bflat Sindt set that I'm really looking for to receiving. I have a Burke Al Pro G but I keep going back to the Composite A.
Peace

Namasté

jim
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I own a Burke AlPro A and a Hoover aluminum A. I love both of them. I find an A an absolutely essential key to have on hand. Probably because of its greater length and width, it gives you the key of D with a bit more body to the sound than the D whistle, itself, is capable of. Being able to go lower than the low 'd' in the range is also a real asset on many melodies.
You are correct in thinking an A will be an excellent addition to your whistle collection. I wish you the best in your choice.
Cheers.
Byll
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Bretton, if you ask Glen S. he may make
you an A tube to fit the Bb whistle head.
Did for me. Best, Jim
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Funny, I was just thinking how much I really really like my Burke Al Pro A. . .its actually the first one I've been reaching for recently.

I am happy with my composite C, but can't extrapolate that sound down to an A. If I had a minor fortune, I'd get Burke composite and aluminum D to do a compare/contrast.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Hey Scott,

Sorry for the WhOA trigger. I ordered the Ab as a key fill-in whistle to defend against those dreaded keyboardists and capoed guitarists but after the whistle arrived I was so impressed with it that I wanted one in A. A friend of mine who plays guitar will specifically capo her guitar so I can play the Ab whistle! You won't be sorry!

Vinny
Curlyblue

Post by Curlyblue »

Thanks all!

I like your suggestions, although I haven't played, heared or ever seen a picture of a Waterweasel.
It'll probably be a Burke, Overton or Chietain because they're the most easy for me to get.

Vinny
Can't they 'capo' to A or do you just love that Ab soo much?

Jim
What stuff is that you usually play? (Just curious).

I guess I need to know what key is most handy for playing with gitarist (without them having to 'capo').

Thanks!
dd

Post by dd »

Depends on the guitarist and more importantly, if there is a vocalist...they will play in a key that is good for the vocalist. The most commonly used are g d c and e. E sounds REALLY good on the guitar and is comfortable to play in. (and of course if you are doing any blues is an essential key) I think if you get those four keys covered you will be FINE.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I only have 2 As, Shaw and Dixon, so I can only comment on these 2. Shaw sounds nice and flutey. Interesting, rich, furry sound. But the breath requirements kill me. And it's not tunable. I like my Dixon. Reasonable price, sounds good [woody, slightly breathy but clear, if you can understand that](but it's not as complex as the Shaw), low air requirements, tunable.

I'm sure there are better A whistles around, but for the price, the Dixon is a good buy.