Whistle tours? Let the tours begin!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistle tours? Let the tours begin!

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm thinking of sending a Busman whistle on a tour, if people are interested. I realize some people might be interested in one of my whistles, but are hesitant to spend the price of a handmade whistle sight unseen (hearing unheard?). This would probably be a Delrin due to fragility concerns .
How are these tours usually organized? I assume each person is responsible for postage and insurance to the next recipient. Does someone (me?) keep a list of who gets it next? I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who's done a successful whistle tour. Thanks.
Last edited by brewerpaul on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Well, I'm not sure how they work, but I am outrageously interested in participating! :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Celtic983
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Celtic983 »

DITTO!
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Upon reflection, it seems to me that if you collected the e-mail addresses and mailing addresses of all participants, you could then sort of plan it so that everyone doesn't have to mail it across the country. That way, each person would only get the address of the next person in line. Also, and I remember Erle Bartlett doing this with the Black Diamond tour, you might consider a separate european and american tour, if you have enough participation to warrant it from both sides of the pond. I don't know what kind of extra work that amounts to for you, but it's a consideration.

Another thing Mr. Bartlett did was he offered the tour whistle for sale to any person on the tour, at which point they would mail him payment and he'd mail another whistle to the next person in line.

Oh, and how long do we get to keep it? :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations has the gist of it I think.

I'd certainly love to be on a Delrin tour. I know I'm one of the people who considered buying one at one time, but have held off.
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Great idea! :D

I'm in London, so if the tour's going to end up over here may i get my name down please?
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

absolutely terrific idea! I am all game for an european tour...
berti
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Congratulations wrote:Another thing Mr. Bartlett did was he offered the tour whistle for sale to any person on the tour, at which point they would mail him payment and he'd mail another whistle to the next person in line.
Additionally it was at a discounted price (50% of retail). This would have to be up to you depending on your burden in the wistle (time, material, etc.)

You could also just have the person send the whistle on and then sell them a new one at whatever terms you choose.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

I'm all for a Busman whistle tour!!! Sign me up!
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Hello!

I would love to be on the tour too! If I could help in any way, please ask! If you are looking for a lot of feedback, I know a lot of Irish musicians in the area, so I could get the opinions of some great musicians.

-Casey :)
Life is good.
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

ooo.... ooo.... ooo....

ME.... ME.... ME.... :party: :party: :party:
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You can send the list along with the whistle as well as post it on a Tour thread. Sign me up.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Congrats. has the idea. I am doing a tour for my Tweaked Whistles right now, it seems like it is off to a relativley smooth start. I would definanatley be intrested in being on the tour.
Kansas

Great Idea

Post by Kansas »

I'd like to be on it if for no other reason than to get the opportunity to see how close a Delrin would play to my Kingwood D or Birdseye Maple C. I am hopelessly hooked on wood, but would relish the chance to "gauge" the differences or similarities.

I carry my O'Brien's E,Eb,D,C,A set in the car just due to the travel and heat/cold issues. They are like bludgeons they are so tough! No worries there.
And they were there last time my daughter took her dog to the park near her college. And I was able to enjoy an hour of playing and really relished the sound outdoors. Lots of fun, and no-one came over and asked that I quit....(LOL)

Had I known we would be going, I'd love to have taken my treasured wooden Busmans The O'Briens are great whistles but there is just a "tonality" to the wooden Busmans that allows me to be extra expressive. Part of it is certainly the hole structure and body size, and some surely the tone of wood itself.
But I cannot take the chance of carrying them around and having to leave them in the car for any extended period of time without getting them to a moderate temperature. I've got some really good travel case options (PVC piping) for protection from bumps and mis-steps. But our weather starts out in the high 20's (this morning in Manahattan Kansas) and ends up in the 60's these days. The temperature range worries me. I'm sure Paul would agree.

If the Delrin plays close to the wooden treasures, I'll be hooked.

Hope you work it out Paul! There are many eager players.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Let's see, Paul, am I automatically excluded because I already have a Busman delrin whistle? Hope not.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.