Burke or Reyburn...?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke or Reyburn...?

Post by Jack Macleod »

I'm thinking of getting my first high-end whistle. I have never heard either of these makers but they seem to get good reviews all around. Does one have a distinct advantage or "plus" over the other (I'm not trying to sling mud either)? I am thinking of going narrow-bore since I'm still rather new to the whole whistle business...don't want to deafen myself in the process....
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Jack,

Both Michael Burke and Ronaldo Reyburn make fantastic whistles but they are quite different.

Burkes have a pure tone. Reyburns have a more traditional and complex sound.

Burke works in three materials, brass, aluminum, and composite. I personally don't think there is much difference in the tone between the brass and the aluminum, Both are lovely. The composite whistles have a slightly woodier tone than the metal ones and aren't quite as loud. They are also a bit more fragile than metal whistles.

Reyburn makes two models. The session D and the narrow-bore D. The Narrow bore is a bit quieter and sweeter than the session model. It has a wonderful complex but sweet tone. Really a neat whistle.

The Reyburn Session whistle is really powerful. I'd say stronger than any other whistle I've played. It doesn't have to be played that loudly but it's nice to know you have that kind of power under the hood if you need it. It also has the advantage of not being shrill on the top end inpite of its power. It also has a complex traditional tone. The metal tubing used on the session model is heavier guage than other whistles so the Reyburn session is very durable and has a more substantial feel in the hands.

Reyburns also come in D/C sets so you could get one head and two tubes or get a C tube later if you like the D.

In short, if you want a sweet-sounding whistle get a Burke. If you're looking for a more complex traditional tone get a Reyburn.

I hate to break it to you but they're different enough that you'll probably want both. (WhOA!) :)

Cheers,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School