Chicago Celtic Fest

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ISU Trout Bum
antispam: No

Chicago Celtic Fest

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Hi All,

I know I should probably post this question in the "City Guide" forum, but it doesn't ever seem to get too much traffic.

I will be attending the Chicago Celtic Fest and I was wondering if there are many sessions held in the Loop area? I've never been before and am really looking forward to it, and would love to catch a session (not necessarily to play, but to listen).

Thanks for any info in advance.
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
Will O'B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

By golly you're right. It is getting to be that time of year again. I had forgotten all about the Celtic Fest. It's great fun. And the music is top notch. It would be nice to go for at least a little while. I'll have to discuss this with Mrs O' to see if it's doable. Thanks for posting the thread. :)

About sessions near downtown. Chief O"Neill's Pub I believe has them on Sundays. There are other establishments too that run sessions on weekends. The City Guide Forum probably has a list of places in Chicago. It's probably a good idea to call the places first, because sessions that are routinely held might be cancelled on account of the Fest. Just a thought. Keep in mind that you'll be hearing plenty of rip roarin' good music at the Fest also. The Chicago Hilton -- about 4 blocks south of the Fest-- may have something going on there after the fest closes each night. Seems like there may have been something going on last year at the Hilton after hours with some of the more prominent musicians from the Fest. I don't know if it was impromptu or not, but it might be worth making the walk to the Hilton after hours and asking around. If you search google for "Chicago Celtic Fest 2005" you should get more detailed info on things happening at the fest and around town that weekend. Enjoy.

ISU??? Is that Illinois State University?

Will O'
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Thanks Will O'B - great info! I will do some checking on the web and at the local hotels that nights of the Fest.

Thanks again!

Kansas

Chicago - Hilton

Post by Kansas »

The Chicago Hilton (Previous Conrad Hilton) on South Michigan (700 South) has had an Irish Style bar known as Kitty O'Sheas for years. My brother -in-law worked for the hotel as the Convention & Services Manager and took us there a lot. You can call the hotel for the times they have a group in entertaining (I think 9 PM). They also have in visiting musicians. Larry Nugent has performed there for instance. The staff at Kitty's may be able to help you find what you want - they would also know about "Irish" bars they frequent outside of work / or not. I think there are some on the North Halstead area, but I do not know about sessions. (I think the number is still 312-922-4400 for the hotel if you care to call and ask). Have fun - wish I could be there - I'm in Kansas now...
When I was in Chicago in August I did not have time to find any sessions - I was staying way south. :sniffle: :-?

I can tell you that all the workers in the Kitty O'Shea bar used to be from Ireland, either on a work visa or ?. The Hotel tried to make the staff as authentic as possible - and always recruited Irish management. There are always lots of Irish born in Chicago at a given time anyway - so it's not hard to do for the wait staff at all, and they are fun to talk with about Ireland. Most are younger college age when I've been there.

On the lighter side......
My kids (who are half Irish and half Polish - my wife's side) helped work taste of Chicago one year for Kitty O'Sheas booth in Grant Park. Several of my kids whose names are Kelly, Colleen, Erin, Brian, Shannon (ok - and Richard) told the staff they were Irish and they looked at them like they were daft. I don't think they really consider many of us of Irish extraction as "truly" Irish. But the kids loved it. Now if they could teach them how to make and pronounce pierogi...................
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The City Guide on Chiff has a good list of sessions. However, Celtic Fest seems to take a lot of energy out of them as so many musicians in Chicago are involved in the weekend downtown.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

http://www.murphyroche.com/index.htm

(Hey Bloom, I finally put this to good use)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

FJohnSharp wrote:http://www.murphyroche.com/index.htm

(Hey Bloom, I finally put this to good use)
Bloom??? Did you use to hang out there, Bloo? I know that the Kerry Piper in Willowbrook used to be Glauber's stomping grounds -- maybe still is.

It's a good link, John. If it's regarding session info for ISU, it's a little far out of the city, though; and I don't think they have anything on weekends anyway. MurphyRoche will probably have some things going at the fest, though. So maybe that's what you mean. I admit that I'm not thinking too straight, so nevermind.

Will O'Ban

<Still working on my project. Something that would have taken an afternoon to complete in my better days is taking WEEKS. Aghhhhh!!! Never take your brain for granted; you just may need it someday.> Not you, John. I'm babbling to meself.

FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I really have no idea where it is. I once tried to recommend it to Bloomfield as a place to play when he was in Cleveland, to which he replied it was kind of far from his hotel.

It's a link. Use it at your own risk. :D
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

FJohnSharp wrote:I really have no idea where it is. I once tried to recommend it to Bloomfield as a place to play when he was in Cleveland, to which he replied it was kind of far from his hotel.
It's a far Chicago suburb. Or, depending upon how you want to look at it, it's an even farther Cleveland suburb. :D

Regardless of which one you may choose, it's still too far to walk.

Will O'Ban

Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

There are no sessions in the loop area itself. Kitty O'Sheas features performances by Pat Broaders and Jimmy Moore most weeknights which can be good, they're very fine singers and musicians. The session nearest to the loop is the north of the river at Celtic Crossings, on Clark Street just south of Chicago Avenue.

All of the other sessions take place out in the neighborhoods.

Jim's point about most of the session regulars being involved with Celtic Fest and having neither time nor energy for sessions that weekend is something to keep in mind. What sessions you may find will probably be quite dead in comparison to how they are normally.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Pat Cannady wrote:Jim's point about most of the session regulars being involved with Celtic Fest and having neither time nor energy for sessions that weekend is something to keep in mind. What sessions you may find will probably be quite dead in comparison to how they are normally.
I thought that's what I said. :-?
will o'b wrote:It's probably a good idea to call the places first, because sessions that are routinely held might be cancelled on account of the Fest. Just a thought. Keep in mind that you'll be hearing plenty of rip roarin' good music at the Fest also.
Will O'Ban

ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Thanks Everyone - this is all very helpful!

My wife is originally from Chi-town and we are there pretty frequently so I may wait to catch a session at a different time.

By-the-by, has anyone been to Ballydoyle in Downer's Grove? It looks like they have some great things happening there?

Again, thanks for all the info! :)

MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, but does anyone know of any sessions around Elk Grove Village? I'll be in Chicago next week, and I'll be stopping by CelticFest on Saturday. So maybe I'll see some of you there.
Erikpiper

Post by Erikpiper »

Although my brand new attempt at whistle are PITIFUL, I am good at Scottish music.....

On the GHB. Chicago Caledonians, Black stewart kilts. Grade 4 Champion supreme 2005 for the midwest!!!! YEEHAAW!

We are performing Saturday morning. ( I thought it was a Celtic fest...)

Any whislers flutists or pipers of any sort going to be there with their instruments?

Mabe I will see one of you saturday!

Erik Nelson.
Chicago Caledonians G4
Wannabe flutist
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Will O'B wrote:
Pat Cannady wrote:Jim's point about most of the session regulars being involved with Celtic Fest and having neither time nor energy for sessions that weekend is something to keep in mind. What sessions you may find will probably be quite dead in comparison to how they are normally.
I thought that's what I said. :-?
will o'b wrote:It's probably a good idea to call the places first, because sessions that are routinely held might be cancelled on account of the Fest. Just a thought. Keep in mind that you'll be hearing plenty of rip roarin' good music at the Fest also.
Will O'Ban
No Will, I mean that most sessions will probably be on as normal but visitors from out of town will not get a fair representation of what those sessions are like on a typical, non-festival weekend...Almost all of the stronger players will be away gigging at the fest, and the sessions that are not canceled will suffer for their absence.

And a word to the wise...After living here for 12 of the last 15 years, it's been my experience that calling ahead is no guarantee that a session is on or off, as staff and management are seldom on the same page in Chicago irish pubs. Most of the time, it's a pointless exercise because the staff just doesn't know. You're just as well off showing up and trusting to luck.