Cakewalk MIDI Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
velroc

Cakewalk MIDI Question

Post by velroc »

I'm using Cakewalk Home addtion to help me learn some tunes. So far I just input the notes manually with the computer using the Staff View and a Recorder as the sound........

My questions are:

1. For the Whistle Instrument sound I use the Patch command and use a Recorder, is this the best way to do it?

2. How do I duplicate a tunging effect? so the notes don't run together.

3. I slow the tunes down (so I can learn them) by changing the temp, is this the correct way?

4. Is their any place on the internet I can down load MIDI whistle tunes to use with Cakewalk?

5. Any other hints that I can use using Cakewalk to help learn the whistle.

Bob
cpelsor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cpelsor »

I can answer a couple of these:

1. dunno

2. dunno

3. yes, just slow the tempo and that is how ya do it

4. yes, go over to thesession.org, get an account (free), and log in. From there you can dl midi files of whatever tunes you like.
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

It depends on what you're trying to learn. Are you wanting to learn Irish traditional music, or just want to play whistle for your own private enjoyment?
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cakewalk MIDI Question

Post by Scott McCallister »

velroc wrote:I'm using Cakewalk Home addtion to help me learn some tunes. So far I just input the notes manually with the computer using the Staff View and a Recorder as the sound........

My questions are:

1. For the Whistle Instrument sound I use the Patch command and use a Recorder, is this the best way to do it?
Ya, that will work or you could use voice 79 that is actually called "whistle" some of these patches are more like a human whistling with their mouths though. 75 Recorder, or maybe better yet 73 Piccolo, and to a lesser degree 74 flute (transposed up an octave) But really any sound will do... sometimes it is easier to hear yourself play against a sound that is dissimilar to the instrument you are playing.
velroc wrote:2. How do I duplicate a tunging effect? so the notes don't run together.
In the piano scroll view you should be able to change note lengths either globally with a menu command or with a pencil tool for individual notes. This will give you a more staccato sound from the midi file but to get the tonguing attack you will have to change the velocity of each note you want "tongued". Higher values will give louder/harder notes.
velroc wrote:3. I slow the tunes down (so I can learn them) by changing the temp, is this the correct way?.

yup
velroc wrote:4. Is their any place on the internet I can down load MIDI whistle tunes to use with Cakewalk?
Lots! Do a yahoo or google search for "midi" and the song name you want. Someone somewhere will have it available for download.
velroc wrote:5. Any other hints that I can use using Cakewalk to help learn the whistle.
Bob
If you bought your version, it should have come with a user's manual. And several tutorials. Read, do.

A word of advice though if you are serious about learning to play the wistle in the ITM style... Midi file won't do much for you. Listen/play along to actual recordings of people who know what they're doing. Using midi files may help to learn the sections of a tune and maybe even a particualr setting of a tune, but most are musically barren from a stylistic standpoint. So, really only good to a pretty limited point. You could use them for the metronome function but you need to have a more culturally infused reference to understand and adopt the style.

Good Luck.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

velroc

Thanks

Post by velroc »

Thanks for all the replies,
Bob